Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Minor domestic electrical installation works certificate :
    Rectified fault on lighting circuit ( bathroom ,hall, bedrooms) replaced downlights for LED fire rated fittings and transferred to RCD protected side of consumer unit .
    Various other things ticked etc .
    So there you have it .

Sorry AC. Clear as mud.......and it sounds like very little work for £3k .....

I still don't know what you mean about "pvc protecting the wires".

I'm guessing You mean surface trunking i.e. Wires tacked onto surface of walls and encased in a plastic square edged tube type cover known as "trunking" as oppopsed to chasing out plasterwork and making good.

Sorry but if that's what they have done then it sounds like a poor job.....yes probably safe enough but certainly not state of the art. ;). The sort of thing you expect from dodgy landlords and cheap rentals.

Seriously £3k.?? That should cover a complete rewire for a flat. And I would want some fancy tech and gizmos at that price.

We did a whole 3 bed house for £3.5k to include fancy switchplates and sockets, lighting dimmers, led lights, bathroom fan, wiring for electric oven, induction hob, extractor and enough sockets in the kitchen to satisfy the needs of the Starship Enterprise.

I think someone is telling you porkies........;).
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm with the learned lessonlearned on this, but if you are happy then I guess that is all that really matters.
    I would want to get my stuff out of storage as soon as possible but again - your call. I have a strong aversion to paying out money unnecessarily and certainly wouldn't be buying furniture until I knew what I already had. Sensible to paint through (at least living room and bedroom) before moving stuff in though.
    Cat seems to have perked up a bit but is obviously suffering from some sort of separation anxiety. When I put food down he will eat it as long as I stay nearby. If I go into another room he comes and cries pitifully until I take him back to his food and then he will tuck in again. Weird or what?
  • lessonlearned
    Have I missed something....is poor Kittie hurt.

I've just finished painting some door frames. Mr M (our cat) was very helpful - supervising and trying to pull off the masking tape i had so carefully put in place.

He's currently on my knee so I guess it's time for my pre dinner nap.

DS2 is on catering duties tonight. Moose Cacka. (Mousakka) :rotfl:
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have I missed something....is poor Kittie hurt.

I've just finished painting some door frames. Mr M (our cat) was very helpful - supervising and trying to pull off the masking tape i had so carefully put in place.

He's currently on my knee so I guess it's time for my pre dinner nap.

DS2 is on catering duties tonight. Moose Cacka. (Mousakka) :rotfl:

No, cat is just getting old, I think. He's only 13/14 (can never quite remember (i'm getting old too!) but has had an adventurous life. He is a big, ginger bruiser (but very affectionate to me), and used to get into all sorts of fights when he was younger. He has arthritis now so doesn't venture out of the garden - he does occasionally walk around the garden on the fence and out stares next door's little yappy dog, but he has to get up and down by getting onto my garden chair, then the potting table then the fence. After having some infected teeth removed at New Year he initially seemed to get better at eating but has recently gone off his food again. Doesn't want to leave my side if I am in, and cries for a while when I go out (according to eldest). Keep thinking he is suffering from dementia as he often doesn't seem to know where he is. Have been tempting him (or trying to) with all his favourite foods but he has gone very picky again.
    I hate gloss painting. Quite happy to do walls, and even ceilings with a roller on a stick, but glossing is not my thing. That's not an offer by the way AC, I'm not coming down to Poole to help you paint your flat.
  • dreaming wrote: »
    I'm with the learned lessonlearned on this, but if you are happy then I guess that is all that really matters.
    I would want to get my stuff out of storage as soon as possible but again - your call. I have a strong aversion to paying out money unnecessarily and certainly wouldn't be buying furniture until I knew what I already had. Sensible to paint through (at least living room and bedroom) before moving stuff in though.
    Cat seems to have perked up a bit but is obviously suffering from some sort of separation anxiety. When I put food down he will eat it as long as I stay nearby. If I go into another room he comes and cries pitifully until I take him back to his food and then he will tuck in again. Weird or what?

Hope Alfie gets well soon .
    Regarding the storage issue . I think it's wise to,keep everything there while I paint the whole flat . Plus, I'll have about another month which I've paid for in advance in my present flat .
    I know what furniture I have etc. It's just mattress / bed etc and window stuff( blinds etc )

There were young kids/ babies when the place was let out .

Regarding the certificates . The electrics mentioned earlier are from an n I c E i c domestic installer .
    'The work this certificate covers code 2 defects highlighted in the electrical installation condition report (e I c r cert no:,014034188 carried out on the 25/10 16. The electrical installation is satisfactory and safe for continued use .'

I could bring another electrician in to do a full inspection .
    TBH , I'm probably worrying too much and if the faults are fixed, then I should stop going on and just get on with it .
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Sorry AC. Clear as mud.......and it sounds like very little work for £3k .....

I still don't know what you mean about "pvc protecting the wires".

I am guessing the reference is to PVC encased cables rather than the old black rubber encased. Now whilst I'm not an electrician, from this link I would be more concerned as to whether the earth wire was solid green or green and yellow.

Solid green indicates wiring over 40 years old ie. pre 1977, and that would be approaching the end of it's life expectancy.

https://www.electriciancourses4u.co.uk/useful-resources/history-of-wiring-colours-cable-sheathing-bs7671/
  • harz99
    AC, what was the outcome of the discussion between your surveyor and the gas engineer, I don't think you've said?

See also my post above re electrics.

As to the one bed - forgetting the price, did you really like it, ie. more than the Kingsbridge flat? If not put it out of your mind completely.
  • lessonlearned
    Thanks for that link Harz.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 March 2017 at 1:20PM
    Okay, I phoned up,the electrician that did the job.
    Some could say that's wrong . To cut a long story short, I've had reassurance from him . This means that , I'm going ahead with the purchase . Final answer.
    Regarding the surveyor : he couldn't track down the gas engineer .
    No problem .

The way I see things : I have documentation about everything related to the flat . All the issues and concerns have been dealt with.
    When I actually really need a new boiler , I could discuss possible relocation . If I'm not gonna sell, then it won't really be an issue as I would've lived there x amount of years anyway .
    The leaseholders ( there are 7) , have a sinking fund. Discussions are raised as and when . The arrangement seems a lot better than the place I used to,live in where everyone was clueless as to how to get things done .
    The seller had tenants with kids running around etc. They had bunk beds in that room where the boiler is . They're still alive as far as I know .
    So, this part of the jigsaw seems to be coming to an end .
    By the end of the month, I would have purchased the flat .

I did look at the other flat . I liked it . Tbh, it's at the top end of budget for a one bedroom . No service charges was very temting . In the end , I think I've made the right decision
  • harz99
    Sounds good AC, you're obviously happy with all the research and documentation available now.

Have you decided which room is to be your/the main bedroom, obviously we only have the pics to go by, but I would favour changing the two rooms over and using the more private one (currently lounge) to sleep in - just a thought before you decorate.

Oh and don't forget to get the door lock(s) changed as soon as you have the keys!

Also, if you want home food deliveries, register with whoever at the new address asap (as soon as you've exchanged if moving in quickly), as some supermarkets can be incredibly slow setting up new accounts.

Soon be 101 different things to sort out!! Happy days eh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure