MSE News: Card protection firm CPP must pay £14.5m to mis-selling victims

Comments

• I managed to get through to them today, after 25 minutes on hold. I knew I had started my CPP policy (but couldn't remember exactly when) as it had been offered reduced or free with my Egg card. I distinctly remember ringing up to cancel it after the year and being convinced it was essential, therefore I continued. I have renewed it year on year ever since. I feel stupid that I was sucked in and it has been sold on a lie. If I knew I was automatically covered for £100000 by my card provider, why would I have taken it out? To those people being flippant and insulting towards people who have these policies to allegedly 'safeguard' their finances, please shut up. I am not stupid (have two science based degrees) but unfortunately trusted the people on the other end of the phone.

The main issue here is being double-insured and that is mis-selling. The guy I spoke to at CPP was fairly helpful (told me exactly when my policy started and who through) and told me I would be getting a letter very soon. I'll see what it says and take it from there...
    January 2012 GC £296.96/£300
  • I managed to get through CPP today. I was told to get in touch with Barclayscard since it was taken out when I first got a Barclays credit card. I have cancelled my card this year but not the CPP. My CPP is still active till Dev 2013 thinking I still need it to cover other cards I have in hand. I was given the information when I had the card and the number to get in touch with Barclays card. I rang up Barclays card and was told they can't check my record which goes back more than 6 years. I had the card and policy since Nov 2004. I was advise to write to Customer relations Department. Reading from the forum everyone seems to have different experience and there is no clear path how to proceed this. If I cancel the CPP now will I be refunded for the remainder premium? What should i do now? :(
  • Here we go again.

Already had two calls today about reclaiming my CPP :mad:
  • I had a CPP policy which was cancelled before the renewal date in March 2012. I spent time on the phone waiting sometime before getting thru' but I believe I got a reasonable response.
    I was also told to contact B'Card, I said I wasn't happy about being pased off with that response.

CPP promised they would write to me within 5 days about my dispute. I may still have to contact B'Card but at least I'll know more then..
    Cheers
    Steve
  • I took out a Virgin credit card a few years ago (I can't remember exactly but around 6 or 7). The salesman was really pushy about taking the CPP policy and, although I didn't really want it, I took it out anyway and have been paying ever since. Do I claim from Virgin or CPP?
  • I have a card protection plan with Sentinel Gold which was sold to me in 2004/2005. This was in conjunction with my bank.
    The contents of the policy look identical to those of CPP Ltd. Does any one know what is happening to Card Protection Plans in general?
  • In 2007, a Credit Card Bank not to disimilar to (MBMA) suggested that i took out through there recommended insurers, a Credit Card/Any Card protection Policy. and i was given an online link which took me to CPP. It offered for £70 a three year policy which at the time i thought was a good idea as i had been bombarded with emails and news that theft from cards and of the cards itself was on the rise. The link directed me to a bit of a dead end and gave me a phone number to ring up. This i did and took out the policy and paid with my (MBMA) type card. Three years later and with numerous phone calls trying to sell me identity protection, phone protection andevery other sort of protection you could possibly think off, i renewed again but by direct debit from my own bank as my (MBMA) type card was too exopensive on apr and didnt use it anymore. Having read the MSE article, i duly thought about it and after thinking what an idioit ive been, i contected CPP only to be told that they only managed the policy for the (MBMA)type bank. I insisted that my contract was with them as i had set it up with them directly and the only input the credit card company had was to recommend it as there partner and pay for it (initially). CPP would not have it and told me i need to contact the credit card company. (thwe CPP agent was quite aggressive too in her manner)However, she magically said im putting you through to the bank now and then next moment ive got an automated message from the Bank. Eventually after waiting and listening and not daring to utter a word as it said thank you for your response im putting you through to the dept you asked for???? I spoke to a Bank Agent who said they had received an enormous amount of calls from CPP today and the bank is getting the impression they are trying to push on the responsibility to the bank insted of dealing with it themselves... I was told to hold for 10 mins, then he got back to me saying that they needed a contact number and would be in touch with me within 5 days then hung up!!! ?I will give it 5 days and see what happens but am i right in thinking that the Contract was with CPP and it is they who are responsible and if thats the case, how do you make them understand this instead of them pushing the blame back to the bank. Confused and bewildered and feeling daft for not realising that i was already covered with the bank itself.
    Ax:eek:
    Be nice to people on your way up! You may need them again on your way down!! :think:
  • have just looked at my wifes lpf credit card statement,she is paying optional payment protection, however she was not working at the time she got the card and was never asked if she wanted the cover, does she have a right to claim?
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    have just looked at my wifes lpf credit card statement,she is paying optional payment protection, however she was not working at the time she got the card and was never asked if she wanted the cover, does she have a right to claim?
    That sounds like PPI, which is not what this thread is about. Immediate answer is yes, loads of instructions on the site on what to do!
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • I contacted CPP only because we have moved since I last held a policy with them and wanted to update my address.

I was shocked when the agent told me that they were ONLY contacting current (I.e within the last twelve months) policy holders and that 'former' policy holders were 'archived'.

If you've held a policy with CPP and felt that it was mis-sold to you, make sure that you contact them. As it was my initial interaction with them was classed as a 'non policy complaint' (because of the archive issues), however I was contacted the following day by the department who is actually dealing with this issue and they were helpful.

After a brief conversation in which I explained I felt I had been mis-sold as I am subsequently aware (as were they at the time) that CPP cover was already in force via my bank they upheld my complaint and have stated that I will receive a cheque for subscriptions and interest within 7-10 days.

Don't be put off by the initial call handlers - the actual team dealing with the complaints appear keen to resolve them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure