Yet more financial faux pas and many other disasterous decisions

Options

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Big hugs mate. So very sorry for you and the family. I hope that your dad might understand. But if he isn't an animal lover than maybe not.

Would going to the funeral take your mind off things or make it worse?
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chevalier wrote: »
    Big hugs mate. So very sorry for you and the family. I hope that your dad might understand. But if he isn't an animal lover than maybe not.

Would going to the funeral take your mind off things or make it worse?
    chev

Its not the funeral thats the problem its the three hour drive in rush hour traffic on motorways thats causing the headache. There aren't any motorways here, so I tend to pootle about at 40mph. Driving at double that speed having had negligable amounts of sleep isn't the greatest idea. Added to that I couldn't leave until the DDs depart for school even if I book them into childcare so I'd have less than three hours to do a three hour drive and find a church in the back of beyond. The return journey is much the same.

Added to that although I've spoken to the aunt in question on the phone I haven't seen her in person for years which makes dropping everything to say goodbye seem a bit daft.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • moo2moo
    Options
    and so following the advise of Nora the Wise I abandoned everything and took the fourlegged fiend to the beach for the day. We ran in and out the waves, chassed seagulls, played frisby and walked for miles and miles. Was just what I needed. Shes a heck of a lot calmer too.

Detoured home via Abakhan, purveyor of all things knittery and crafty and arty, treated OH to a cream tea before abandoning him to wader round oohing and aahing at lots of stuff but not really being inspired by anything at all.

Came home. Grabbed a cuppa and legged it to work. Hid in a cupboard for the duration of the day. So the cupboard in question is now spotless and the stock within it colour co-ordinated and v. tidy ready for phase two of operation amalgamate three store cupbords into two whilst persuading the Early Years staff to part with some of their cardboard creations.

Came home, ate a chip butty and spent the evening knitting. Finished the jumper, figured out how to kitchener stitch (which wasn't as complicated as I expected) sewed in all the ends, tired it on and promptly made DD1s day by donating it to her since my ample assests were a little too snug. She's over the moon with it which means I can make one the next size up in a colour I really like with the added advantage of short row shaping for boobs rather than just making it wider all over.

Plans for today involve a trip to the vets to collect what remains of the geriatric old dear. Spent far too long trying to explain to a rather bemused DD2 how you shrink a dog from a 4' x 2' x 1' shape into an itty bitty box without saying anything that would lead to nightmares.

Did burst out laughing at the vets when she was undertaking the v. serious funeral directors role. Did we want to take her home? OH and I declined on the basis that burying something that size is gonna take a whole lotta digging and from past experience DD2 has a habit of unburying things just to make sure they're still there. Option B involved cremation although even thats not straight forward as you can have them cremated alone or as part of a burn two get part of someone elses pet for free deal and then came the bit that had tears rolling down my face. Tears of laughter that is. For the next question was would you like her in a casket with her name on or in a cardboard tube for easy scattering which brought to mind the shake and vac commercial and visions of bereaved pet owners everywhere standing on mountain tops vigorously shaking away like toddlers with glitter shakers.

Planning to bury her under a fruit tree in the garden along with OHs old dog who has moved house with us a couple of times waiting for us to settle somewhere for good.

Going to get that over with first thing and then head to the park for some fresh air. Being outdoors and active is clearing my head far faster than anything else I can think of. Plus its stopping me thinking too much which is always good.

Both DDs seem to be coping Ok. They're having random teary moments but no more than you'd expect.
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Moo

Just a quick note to say that I feel for you as I lost a beloved animal just before Christmas and you still expect to see them in their usual sleeping spots etc. Take care of yourself.
    E
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moo2moo wrote: »
    Detoured home via Abakhan, purveyor of all things knittery and crafty and arty, treated OH to a cream tea before abandoning him to wader round oohing and aahing at lots of stuff but not really being inspired by anything at all.
    I have been there recently and cant say I was inspired. It use to be such an Aladdins cave...............

persuading the Early Years staff to part with some of their cardboard creations.

I very difficult task. I speak from experience. I had to start bringing it home.......much to OH horror!

Planning to bury her under a fruit tree in the garden

All our ex pets are buried under the birch trees at bottom of garden - rabbits , hamsters, cats. We did dig up previous owners pet dog :o. Think they had created a ( bloomin awful) rockery to bury it under. Anyway it was 'redistributed' around the garden!

Both DDs seem to be coping Ok. They're having random teary moments but no more than you'd expect.

Children are more resilient thatn we give them credit for :)

I laughed at loud at your experience at the cremation dilema ( in a respectful way !) We had a cat who towrds the end of her life had a tumour in her toe which was removed and gave her another 6 months before another appeared. This too was duely removed. Then it spread into her leg. When the vet suggested she amputate her leg I called a stop to it stating I didnt want the cat taken away in instalments and the time had come for the inevitable. The vetinary nurse I think almost wet herself but the vet didnt have a sense of humour ;). I am the worlds biggest animal lover but I am not sentinmental as sad as we all feel when we have had to make those final decisions for our purry-furries :A

Bramble had had a fantatic life and is now buried under said Birch with her friends and partners in rodent murder. 3 months after a bramble appeared over where we buried her and it remains there 18 years on. Weird eh!. Think I might call our next cat Gold Ingot :rotfl:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • moo2moo
    Options
    Have rediscovered my love of life. Needed a couple of days of being sad to get it all over and done with. Glad I did what I did when I did.

Have told my dad I'm not going to the aunts funeral. Hes not as miffed as I expected.

And moving swiftly on to all things positive... DD1 loves her new jumper and will need to be wrestled out of it in order for me to wash it. Overall debt has rather miraculously shrunk to the 4.5K mark and OH is back at work today meaning I can get a couple of hours knitting in to catch up on my very neglected knitalong homework before continuing with project Tudor House which is currently occupying the kitchen, dining room and OHs workshop. DD2 is in charge of measuring, sawing, hammering and cutting whilst DD1 and I are called upon to hold things in place and extract bent nails. Shes having a great time. Did try explaining to OH that when she said she needed to build a tudor house for her homework what her teacher actually said was bring in some cardboard boxes to make one in class but since no one ever listens to me she's doing both and really enjoying herself. Plus it kept OH busy for an entire day helping her make the framework for it.

I have a £5 off a £40 Mr T shop to use by the end of today but since we don't need anything it seems a bit daft shopping just for the sake of it and because theres only me and the hairballs here next week I doubt I'll need to shop then either which should help drop another chunk off the debt. Hoping to be at something close to 3K by the end of February which means much focussed debt busting and minimal spending. Shouldn't be too hard though because its far too cold to go places which limits the spending quite considerably.
  • thrifty_fifty
    Options
    Fantastic progress on the debt, Moo, and glad to hear you are on the mend. xx

M&S £2878.22/ Natwest £3526/ Loan £405/ [STRIKE]Sofa £0[/STRIKE]/ [STRIKE]Ring £0[/STRIKE]/
    Savings £12.04
    NSD 3/10 :cool:
    Total £6915.88

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    glad that you have got your oomph back. lol about DD being surgically attached to her new jumper!

And well done about the debt busting. YOu will have a lot more choices when you are debt free soon.....

chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • moo2moo
    Options
    Spent five hours as DD2s assistant, the Tudor House now has windows and doors and shes hoping to move onto the roof today as thats way too complicated for me she needs OH to help with it. Did all the ironing, helped the DDs pack for their week away and then spent the vast majority of the eveing knitting. Have now completed the front and one side of the coat. Another couple of inches should see the second side completed. Am not as ecstatic about it as I was when I started. Thinking I should have gone for a plain colour rather than a stripe. Still its teaching me lots of new things and should improve my darning in of ends. Need to shop before progressing much further as I'm running out of yarn already.

Have five days to go at work before the jollidays. Planning to spend a large chunk of it rearranging stock cupboards. Tis way better than doing outdoor things at -8.
  • moo2moo
    Options
    Well that was fun. THe rest of the UK has snow and we have an invasion of dementors. Thick freezing fog of the variety that makes you misjudge distances because you can't see a thing. Visibility was down to 5m which is hellish scary in a car especially in the dsark when your fog lights serve to illuminate how little you can see. Of course the die hard dog walkers were out in force, those with high viz jackets were a nightmare to spot and the imbeciles dressed head to toe in black are incredibly lucky not to be adorning a car. Of course theres always one idiot who decides that they're not waiting around behind a car crawling at 5mph which is why someone accelerated round me straight into a parked car.

In most exciting news one of the neighbours made the local news headlines after boring into the water main to add a cattle trough but screwing up royally and filling the adjacent farms sink with mud. Hes been given a hefty fine and will keep the occupants of the village in gossip for years.

Still incredibly foggy this morning so will kit DD1 out with a flashing arm band (alternatively used by the hound from hell as a dog collar) to make her easier to spot.

Finished the bodice of my coat and seamed it and then realised I'd missed two crucial lines out in the pattern which means one side in 1/2" shorter than the other. Need to rip that back a couple of inches and redo it at some point before starting on the sleeves. Not entirely convinced about my colour choices though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport