Feeling ill, dragging myself to work as don't want disciplinary

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It could be anyone such as someone sitting next to you on a bus, standing next to you in a queue. Just needs a cough or sneeze over you or item you touch which is theirs - such as a bank card or using a Chip.n Pin machine.

I get my colds from customers and I have little contact with them.

Probably one of those foreigners you were in contact with on holiday
  • suki1964
    Forumite
    I remember going into work in spite of having a rather high temp.., because I was two days into a job and didn't think I'd be believed about taking time off. Turned out I had flu, and yes I gave it to another person who took a full week off. My filing was unbelievably bad as well that week lol.

But I do have asthma.., I also have two special needs children which can lead to periods of not getting a lot of sleep so I totally dread colds as typically, you get more of these illnesses when a bit run down. They can take me weeks to get over. I don't work, but if I did, I know I would go into work, I've done it in the past. You can't afford to take time off work unless something is imminently life threatening, even if you know it could exacerbate a condition like asthma if you don't 'rest'. It might be selfish, but even sick, bills have to be paid. And taking the amount of time off required to be non infectious with an illness when you don't know in advance if its going to be serious or not (some colds are just a little snuffle) is just impractical - however much it protects your colleagues.

Glad the OP is feeling better though.

Mind you, I was the one who was only allowed 24 hours in bed when Swine flu was in the household. Both kids had it, then I got it (it was definitely swine flu). I just had to keep going.., even though I could barely breath at the time. I'll never forget it. I think you just have to get on with it at times. There was no choice and you do get over these things with time normally.

Seriously flu?

And you got into work ???

Flu, you cannot move.

Someone could wave a million pound winning lotto ticket in front of your nose and you wouldn't have the strength to reach for it

Flu with asthma ? And you got into work??

Seriously ?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    theoretica wrote: »

Not disputing that, but unfortunately some people work when ill.. So you can catch it from the shop assistant who stacked the shelves, or the check out worker who gave you change, or the person who opened the door just before you, or the person 4 rows back on the bus.

There is no foolproof protection, you can minimise the risks in certain areas which you control, but in many cases hygiene or not, it's a sneeze or a cough away...
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    SandC wrote: »
    It does if you wash your hands (or use sanitizing gel) frequently, cover your nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing and don't wander around with a tissue in your hand touching door handles or equipment.

Yes but Fbaby wasn't talking about minimising infecting others ( where isolation is the best method) but rather avoiding catching it
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Seriously flu?

And you got into work ???

Flu, you cannot move.

Someone could wave a million pound winning lotto ticket in front of your nose and you wouldn't have the strength to reach for it

Flu with asthma ? And you got into work??

Seriously ?

Agreed. The NHS website says that flu makes you incapable of working. If you're well enough to work then it's a bad cold not flu.

The one and only time I had flu, as a child, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and couldn't make it from bed to bathroom much less up and out to school as it was then.

Mind you it's not unheard of for people with colds who want a day off work to claim they have flu!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    There is no foolproof protection, you can minimise the risks in certain areas which you control, but in many cases hygiene or not, it's a sneeze or a cough away...

Indeed - but you can minimise the risks is much better odds than 'nothing to do with'. Never touch your own face or anything you will put in your mouth unless you have just washed or sanitised your hands to avoid the nasties on your change/doorhandles/handrails/anywhere getting you.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Yes but Fbaby wasn't talking about minimising infecting others ( where isolation is the best method) but rather avoiding catching it

It's both though, especially the washing of the hands. True though, I have my own office, avoiding people is one of the best ways, and all that hugging and cheek kissing nonsense, lol. 😂
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Probably one of those foreigners you were in contact with on holiday

My symptoms started 4 days after I flew out.
  • suki1964
    Forumite

Told ya ;)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Forumite

I usually pick up germs on flights... it's an occupational hazard in my job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure