Cheap, but nice house warming gift?

Options

Comments

• Lucy1982_2
    Lucy1982_2 Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Storm

They sound like great ideas. Sad thing is I know I'm going through this and she wont say thanks. It took them 3 1/2 months to say thank you for their wedding presents!
    Current debt - £16,300 :(
    Debt at worst 17/03/2011 - £18,067.62:eek::eek:
    :ANot going anywhere else, ever again :A
  • katelu
    katelu Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    oooo had another thought, what about filling a terrecota pot with cooking herb plants and stick a ribbon round the pot - these can cost a fortune
    http://4presents.co.uk/plants.aspx?sit=2
    but you could prob do it for under a £10!
  • Lucy1982_2
    Options
    Ooo I like that idea. Actually that would make a nice Christmas pressie to.
  • TurnaroundSue
    TurnaroundSue Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    An axe seems like a good idea ;) - nobody has an axe when you want one (ha!ha!) :rotfl:
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Personally I would give her the naffest tackiest ornament you could find and every time you visit make sure its on display or comment if it isn't .... should teach the cheeky monkey not to be so rude ;):D :rotfl:
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • Lucy1982_2
    Options
    Sounds like a fab idea, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough!

I'll probably play it safe.
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I would give her the naffest tackiest ornament you could find and every time you visit make sure its on display or comment if it isn't .... should teach the cheeky monkey not to be so rude ;):D :rotfl:

Loving the way your mind works benben :T
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    How about getting together with a couple of other family members, and buying one gift from all of you?
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounda like this madam is buying a designer pad?

If not, how about a personally made voucher offering one day's work helping decorate or something?

Does means that you will have to spend the day with her though, so maybe not?

Re the baby, fortunately they all puke up and [EMAIL="S@@t"]S@@t[/EMAIL] , so she will have to start living in the real world shortly.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Newgirl_2
    Newgirl_2 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Err... how about getting together with other family members and tell her not to be a spoilt cow, be grateful for any gift she gets and remind her that it's the sentiment behind the gift that matters, not how much it cost! :mad:

Phew... sorry... needed to get that off my chest. I wonder how many people on this forum are here because they have debts helped along by 'keeping up with the Jones' or joining in to evenings out and present buying to look like they are coping? I feel very strongly that people shouldn' buy gifts under pressure and that those who expect others to do so need telling a few home truths.

If you can afford an expensive gift and want to give it, that's fine. I would buy or make what you like and if she isn't impressed, tough. I loved your idea of a bird feeder, especially as her OH would like it, and after all, isn't this a house for both of them??? :confused:

Hope you don't think I've overstepped the mark, just my opinions, but I felt I had to say so.

I would be thrilled to bits to have a cousin who put thought into my gift. Don't feel bad.

Newgirl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport