MoneySaving Poll: How much do you spend on your hair?

Comments

• Patti27
    Patti27 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I try to pay £10 or under for a dry cut - I don't have a wet cut as that's more money and a waste of time. I try to limit cuts to 3/year.

I do like to have my hair highlighted.... but limiting myself to under £30/time it's done about once a year on average...... even the "local College" wanted over £70 for that!

I used to pay about £10 for a dry cut or sometimes go for a wet cut at £15. At that time I only went about twice a year. Mainly because I hated the hairdresser my mum took me to as a kid so as a teen I'd go for the option where I'd spend the least amount of time & money there!

I can't believe your local college wants £70 for highlights, that's crazy! After building up trust with my current hairdresser, I'm now £38 for a trim & highlights. Usually it's around every 3 months. It should really be 6-8 weeks but I try to convince myself that my roots aren't that bad & could easily last another week or so!
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 May 2014 at 2:57PM
    I paid £4.50 for my last cut at the local college. Most of the actual cutting was done by the tutor as the trainee hadn't cut a man's hair before. I was in there for about an hour and a half because the tutor was really busy, but I can afford the time more than the money at the moment.

The price list for tinting/colouring at the local college is full of words that confound my male brain, but none of the prices are anywhere near £70. The most expensive item is "colour correction from £30". I don't know what "Full head bleaching and toning - price at consultation" entails though.

They do get you to sign a waver absolving the college, tutor and trainee's from any damage, injury or death. I'm not entirely sure that waiver would offer much protection for them in the case of the later.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    every 6 weeks , highlights , cut blow dry around £100

ocassional visits in between if i have a formal 'do ' to attend to have hair put up £35 a go ( 3 this month !!)
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I spend about £15 a fortnight on blow dry and straightening etc. Usually get them to wash it too since it costs no extra, also every couple of months spend £20 getting it henna'd which is the only hair dye I'll use and another £20 getting the split ends trimmed.

I also spend rather more than I'd like to add up or admit to on vitamins that have helped to increase the growth rate rather a lot. It's currently a few inches above waist length, but I'm aiming for at least knee length.
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Nothing - DH and I cut my hair between us now it's got longer. Just chop bits off when it needs it.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • Elixiress
    Elixiress Posts: 45 Forumite
    One month I will go to the hairdressers to get highlights and get it cut while I am there too and it costs around £45 to £50. The following month I will buy a box dye for about £5 to smooth out the whole "growing out the roots" stage.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    £7 buzz cut, when gets a bit long.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    £10 for a cut and a couple of colours at the local college. They do a fab job, much better than some salons Ive been to.
  • bluebeary
    bluebeary Posts: 7,904 Forumite
    wash, cut and blow dry costs £15 but i usually just give them £20 as i dont get it done very often, once every two months at the most

colour my hair with superdrug colour about once a month and use lemon flavour head and shoulders shampoo, £5 and £4 respectively

only condition my hair on holiday or when ive been swimming !
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In the past year I have understood why my wife enjoys getting her hair done, I discovered a new barbers shop locally, where the ambiance, music and talent on offer are awesome, when I step out of there I feel like I have had a big shot of confidence.

So now its every 3-4 weeks at the local barber with a cut throat shave for £20 takes over 90mins to do and tbh I enjoy the luxury of a proper shave an
    so all in I don't think its expensive and worth the investment or I could pay £4 at the local Vietnamese hairdressers which takes 10mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure