ESA Tribunal Tomorrow - What to wear?

I am really sorry for posting such a silly question but I going with my wife to her ESA Tribunal tomorrow and I am not sure what to wear. I want to make the right impression but dont want to turn up looking like I am really over dressed. Should I wear a shirt, tie and suit?
I would really appreciate any advice.

My wife is so nervous, its like she is going on trial. She is really not well and has lots of medical evidence to back up her claim and we have a representative fron the welfare rights going with us. I should have asked her when we met her last week but I completely forgot.

Thanks in advance Fraser.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Personally, as you are going to support your wife, I would wear whatever will make you feel both comfortable and empowered, if that makes sense.

I know my DH would hate being in a suit and tie, but if I were supporting him I'd be in a skirt and jacket (which is dressed up for me!) because it would make me feel empowered.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Fraser, i dont know what your wifes disability is but if she has problems dressing make sure she wears the sort of clothes she wears every day (i.e if she has dexterity problems and doesnt usually use laces in her shoes then don't make the effort to put her into laced shoes, if she can't do up buttons then don't stick her in a buttoned top etc.)

As to what you wear again, make sure you don't make such an effort that it looks like you have plenty of time to get dressed if you don't usually. My suggestion would be trousers and a top, not a shirt. The person representing your wife (if she has someone like CAB helping) will be wearing something smart but then they don't have a disabled person to get up and dressed every morning.

Best of luck, Jen
  • FrayKay
    FrayKay Posts: 11 Forumite
    Many thanks for your advice.

My wife has chronic mechanical back problems with accompaning nerve pain. She has issues with putting shoes and socks on so everything slips on. She cant wear trousers / skirts that are tight around her back but feels she cant turn up in her tracksuit bottoms.

I think I will go smart, I used to always go to work in a suit so I am used to that kind of outfit ( I was recently made redundant so at least it will get an airing).

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. It feels like such a big thing especially as we have been awaiting this since her failed medical in January.

Cheers Fraser
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    FrayKay wrote: »
    She cant wear trousers / skirts that are tight around her back but feels she cant turn up in her tracksuit bottoms.
    If that's what she normally wears because nothing else is comfortable, that's exactly what she should wear! And she should say so!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • FrayKay
    Thank you all so much for your advice. We went dressed fairly smartly in the end and I am glad that I did although other people that were there for other hearings were in their jeans.
    Anyway after months of worry and reading up on ESA and appeals and tribunals we WON.
    My wife was awarded 27 points and told that she should have filled the form in differently and we wouldnt have had to go through all this.
    Well we will know for next time but at least it is over for now.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
    Cheers
    Fraser
    456789 Posts: 2,305
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Good news :)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good for you. You only get one chance to make a good first impression and I am pleased it worked out well for you and your wife.

In what way did having the representative from welfare rights help your case?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • bodeia
    bodeia Posts: 33 Forumite
    As with all these forms I would always suggest you seek professional help in filling them in, go to your local CAB or welfare rights service for help, most will help fill in the forms, I know as I volunteer at my local CAB and fill in many of these for people.
  • FrayKay
    Missile - Having a representative from the Welfare Rights helped prepare us for what would happen and went over all the paperwork we had received and picked out discrepancies in the original medical examination. Then we had a meeting with her a week before to discuss any changes and she prepared a submittion on our behalf.

At the actual tribunal she didnt say much as she is not allowed to interupt. She noted anything that she feel needed clarification and brought it up at the end.

If (fingers crossed that we will not) we had to appeal again I would go straight to them. I could not recommend them highly enough. In future we will always get them to help complete the forms too.

Fraser
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    brilliant news Fraser, thanks for the update i'm glad to hear it went well :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure