OU Students Past, Present and Future

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    mummyz wrote: »
    I registered for DB123 with the intention of doing a foundation degree in Finance, but alot of it is work based learning which is abit of a bummer! So now I think I'm going to work towards BA/BSc (Honours) Economics and Mathematical Sciences.

I'm really looking forward to it, gives me something to do in the evenings instead of just sat infront of the tele

Thats a really brilliant course, I loved it, I'm on the BA Hons route in Business, so far done, w100 intro to law, B120 Intro to business, DB123 Maths, b201 Business course, now doing B203 - HELP!!!

Go for it, xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    juno wrote: »
    DD202. I've already done DB123, B120 and I'm just finishing MST121, but they don't have exams!

Love the idea of no exams, is the DD202 - social sciences? Ur braver than me xx
  • mummyz
    mummyz Posts: 15 Forumite
    I would of loved to go down the business route but being a SAHM to a 4 month old, would be easier said than done finding somewhere to do the work-based learning. How did you find DB123, was it pretty simple for a first course?
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    mum2one wrote: »
    Love the idea of no exams, is the DD202 - social sciences? Ur braver than me xx
    Yup. I was originally doing Business as the maths in Economics and Mathematical Sciences put me off, but I really hated BU130. So a few weeks ago I looked round the website more and realised Social Sciences with Economics existed :j Then I dropped BU130 and I don't miss it at all.

I found DB123 lovely, especially as a lot of the stuff I knew bits of from reading around this site. It's also a useful course as everyone has to manage their money, although obviously it doesn't give any direct financial advice. The notes give you good ideas of where to start for the TMAs, too.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    I would of loved to go down the business route but being a SAHM to a 4 month old, would be easier said than done finding somewhere to do the work-based learning. How did you find DB123, was it pretty simple for a first course?

I found it a really good course and easy to do, as 90% of the info is in the book, and the online section, bit odd to describe, but at the end of every chapter you have a on-line section to complete, and the answers can be found in there,
    1st assisgnment was based around borrowing money and interest rates, your given the info, and a senerio, eg Sally wants to buy a motorbike a 2k, which is the cheapest method, - you'd then work out the rates for bank loan, credit card and cash.

My dd was 4 when I started open uni, but I work ocassionally doing mystery shop jobs, as I'm basically a stay at home mum, disabled, such a one for all work, but on crutches for spinal injuries.

Also don't worry about the tutorials, there are think 3 with the course, but I didn't go to any of them, but was getting marks in the region of 80+.

The other business courses I didn't need work based experience, thou with a 4mth old, bet you've got your hands full.

Sent a pm.xx
  • mummyz
    mummyz Posts: 15 Forumite
    Sounds quite simple, always a good thing!

Looks like you've got it tough, I'm sure my 4 month old is nothing compared. Your other courses haven't needed work based learning? Will any of them require you to do work-based learning before you get your BA Hons? Only reason I'm asking is I kinda substitued the Foundation degree in Finance for the Economics and Mathematical Sciences one, and I'd love to do something along the business route instead.

But finding a job of some sort as a single mum and childcare costs being sky high I don't really see it happening. Unless I could do all the courses not requiring work based learning, then once DD is in nursery find a part time job then. I don't know :undecided
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You don't have to have a paid work job. Could you do some volunteering or something? Their definition of "work" is really flexible, so just being on the PTA or something similar when littleun goes to school might count.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Sounds quite simple, always a good thing!

Looks like you've got it tough, I'm sure my 4 month old is nothing compared. Your other courses haven't needed work based learning? Will any of them require you to do work-based learning before you get your BA Hons? Only reason I'm asking is I kinda substitued the Foundation degree in Finance for the Economics and Mathematical Sciences one, and I'd love to do something along the business route instead.

But finding a job of some sort as a single mum and childcare costs being sky high I don't really see it happening. Unless I could do all the courses not requiring work based learning, then once DD is in nursery find a part time job then. I don't know :undecided

Most of the courses don't need you to be in a work environment to benefit, the only one that is borderline is the bu130 - its a level 1 30points, needed for foundation degree, but when I spoke to my old tutor, he said work isn't a problem, as the course is based on personal learning and skills related to that. Start that in May, I'm a gluten for punishment, they've already sent the books, flicking through the assisgnments it looked like personal improvement and goals can be set.

Fingers crossed if I can get the BA Hons Business, none of the courses are work related.

I would say if you do go down the finance route and do Level 3 Accounting course, that is heavy going, its a 3 sets of exams, unless you can get your brains round accounts you've had it xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    juno wrote: »
    Yup. I was originally doing Business as the maths in Economics and Mathematical Sciences put me off, but I really hated BU130. So a few weeks ago I looked round the website more and realised Social Sciences with Economics existed :j Then I dropped BU130 and I don't miss it at all.

I found DB123 lovely, especially as a lot of the stuff I knew bits of from reading around this site. It's also a useful course as everyone has to manage their money, although obviously it doesn't give any direct financial advice. The notes give you good ideas of where to start for the TMAs, too.

I start the BU130 in May, not looking forward to it, but need it for foundation degree.........

I don't know if you know but they've just brought out a follow on course to DB123, its DB234 - level 2 - 30 points, NO EXAM. Doing that as well in May xx
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Is anyone studying/has studied

R.E. = A219 (or AD317, AA307)
    Philosophy = A211 (or AA300/AA308)
    Law = W100 (or W200, W201, W300, W301)

TIA
    Zziggi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories