PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leased garage (Naughty neighbors)

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I would worry about the safety of an installation, probably done by an amateur, which could overload the system.
    The power splitter will still have a 13A fuse on its plug.
    The circuit will still have a breaker adequately fused to protect the cabling, which is going to be much higher than 13A rated.

OP - the simple way to figure it out is to go to your own consumer unit, and turn every breaker off. Then turn on just enough for your own house. If they wail, then they were off your electricity. It's massively unlikely they were, though.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just to say the garage owners appear to live in nearby houses - they don't rent the garage, they will be on leases linked to their (presumably) freehold houses.

If they don't have their own electric supply, it may well come out of the service charge the owners pay. My garages' insurance was covered in my service charge. Perhaps electric was too! Can't remember!

They had lighting and power points (not electric doors).
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • HarrisonRW
    Options
    Hello Thanks for the quick reply's.

I have tested the electricity via the only fuse box i know which is upstairs in my property, switched the master switch on that box and all 3 garages still worked.. so was not really conclusive ?

It is unusual to have a freehold coach house, but there are a few about this is my first house.

the Building is 5 years old (2013) i spoke to barratt homes (Developer) they build it. They have come back to say its weird i have electric garages as they dont normally do that but every building in my estate has them.. so not sure what they are on about.. they (Legal dept) confirmed they should not have any electricity in the garage but this contradicts the fact the garages are electric.
    And im still non the wiser regards who pay for them.

The building Insurance does not cover the use of power tools and washing machies ect.. in the garage.. hence voiding it.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do you pay buildings insurance for all 3 garages then, or just yours? Are you sure the other owners aren't paying too - if not with their own policy, maybe as part of the service charge?

Do you have a copy of your last service charge (presuming you pay one)? Does it mention insurance or electric (specifically re garages, although it may be more vague than that).
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HarrisonRW wrote: »
    The building Insurance does not cover the use of power tools and washing machies ect.. in the garage.. hence voiding it.
    What do you mean by "does not cover" - is there a specific condition prohibiting them? Can you quote it? I would have thought it fairly normal to use power tools and other DIY stuff in a garage.
  • HarrisonRW
    Options
    I dont pay a service charge, not sure if they do.
  • HarrisonRW
    Options
    Im required to insure all 3 garages with building insurance.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HarrisonRW wrote: »
    Hello Thanks for the quick reply's.

I have tested the electricity via the only fuse box i know which is upstairs in my property, switched the master switch on that box and all 3 garages still worked.. so was not really conclusive ?

Where is the meter?
    Do the "tails" from the meter feed only that fusebox?

If the fusebox controls all the supply from the meter then it is conclusive, ie there must be another supply for the garages.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have turned off your consumer unit and the garages are still powered it is not from there. BUT with your CU off, go and check your electricity meter is not counting up (turn yur garage light on to be sure there is some load)

I have come across "landlords supplies" for low power loads like stairwell lights to flats, that are not metered. I don't know how that works, if the landlord pays a fixed priced based on assumed usage.

The other issue they may find it it might be on low rating circuit breaker, so might trip, then someone has to find out where it is fed from.

Are there any electrical consumer units or similar in any of the garages?

If the electricity is really "free" I would get your own tumble dryer down there........
  • Cyclemonkey1
    Options
    Are you their freeholder?

If so what does the lease say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business