Price of a bag of coal?

Comments

• Hi Badger,

Yes, does help a little. I hadn't (stupidly) considered buying it loose. However, Corralls don't seem to offer it on their website. It was Corralls that were priced at £19 per 50kg sack.

Any other websites worth looking at?
  • JMartin
    JMartin Posts: 134 Forumite
    Hi Blingblings,

In my experience the only way to find the cheapest deal is to get the good old yellow pages out and phone around all of your local coal merchants. Ask for the price per tonne or half tonne depending on how much space you have available.

Jo
  • I'm in the Western Isles - we pay around £8 for a 25g bag. Lots of things expensive here cos of the cost of transporting to the islands:rolleyes: Petrol and diesel must be about the most expensive in the UK here.
    Think I will have to dig my own peat bog.
    New CC starting balances for 2014: BC: £2780.00 (2717.45) MBNA: £2185.72 (2160.72)
    Repayment a/c: £112.50
    Weekly grocery spend:
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Badger,

Yes, does help a little. I hadn't (stupidly) considered buying it loose. However, Corralls don't seem to offer it on their website. It was Corralls that were priced at £19 per 50kg sack.

Any other websites worth looking at?

Forget websites. The small, local coal merchants won't have them. Try Yellow Pages, as has been suggested, or yell.co.uk
  • £14 for 50kg here in Lincolnshire although thats not from shopping around, rather laziness and just using the same one as everyone else down our street.

As for the glass. Its already cracked, one long jagged from top to bottom :(

For us at the moment we're finding using just one regular coal bucket per 24 hours is enough for us. We tried the constant running system but was using 2-3 buckets per 24 hours and on some mornings it was near dead only 7 hours after topping it up for the night (maybe thats just us going to bed early lol).

So as it is, we/my wife when i'm at work clean it out around lunchtime and start it up again around 3pm so the radiators kick in at 5 using half a bucket. Then at 8 the other half goes in and the house stays at 21c right through till the next day. I'm fully aware though that its unusually warm for this time of year and will revert back to Ice Queens system if the ambient temp of the house drops as the temp outside stays below 7 or 8c for example.

The only downside to our current system is that we need to leave our water boiler on as our system doesn't give 24 hours of hot water so however much it costs to have that running should really be factored in.

Oh and IceQueens picture is below. - were used insead of / in the URLs ;)

coal16.jpg
  • I use anthercite, because it stays in overnight and its clean. its not as hot as household coal tho. i pay £15 per 50kg sack delivered local coal man., derbyshire. ive seen adverts in the local paper for tonne loose but im a wimp, because i dont know the quality of it!!! I try to keep my fire in at all times as it the most economical, it burns an extra bucket to get going when first lit. Does anyone know where to get a cheap ash tray? im fed up of taking my ashes outside and the wind hitting the pan, to get a face full!!!
  • £10 per bag in Oban
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I use anthercite, because it stays in overnight and its clean. its not as hot as household coal tho. i pay £15 per 50kg sack delivered local coal man., derbyshire. ive seen adverts in the local paper for tonne loose but im a wimp, because i dont know the quality of it!!! I try to keep my fire in at all times as it the most economical, it burns an extra bucket to get going when first lit. Does anyone know where to get a cheap ash tray? im fed up of taking my ashes outside and the wind hitting the pan, to get a face full!!!

I wouldn't call them cheap, but there's a wonderful galvanised steel device on the market caled a 'Tippy'. It lets you put hot ash in and take it outside to cool - no dust, no spills on the carpet.

In fact, I've just looked them up and they have a website which is http://www.tippyash.co.uk/AshCarriers.htm

As I say, they aren't cheap, but I imagine one would last a lifetime and mine has become a trusted friend!

Hope that helps.
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have my coal delivered all the way from Scotland to Gloucester, I use Fergussons coal, http://www.coaldelivery.co.uk/index.html they are very good but you need to be able to store a ton, it arrives pre-packed on a pallet you can choose 10kg, 20kg or 25kg bags, I always go for the 10kg packs as they are much easier to handle.

After you order a pallet company will phone up to arrange a time for delivery (usually about a week after you order) they will drop the pallet off on your drive providing it is hard enough for a pallet truck.

I have had 3 deliveries from Fergussons all very satisfactory, you can pay via paypal if you wish, my last delivery was in Sept when I bought a 1 tonne pallet of Housecoal for £259.00 less a £10 discount offer. Todays price for the same is £295.00 but it's still the cheapest that I can find around here and it is much more convenient to store than loose coal.

Lol I also make use of the strong wooden pallet the coal arrives on either for making things in the garden or as fuel! :)
  • nilrem wrote: »
    I have my coal delivered all the way from Scotland to Gloucester, I use Fergussons coal, http://www.coaldelivery.co.uk/index.html they are very good but you need to be able to store a ton, it arrives pre-packed on a pallet you can choose 10kg, 20kg or 25kg bags, I always go for the 10kg packs as they are much easier to handle.

After you order a pallet company will phone up to arrange a time for delivery (usually about a week after you order) they will drop the pallet off on your drive providing it is hard enough for a pallet truck.

I have had 3 deliveries from Fergussons all very satisfactory, you can pay via paypal if you wish, my last delivery was in Sept when I bought a 1 tonne pallet of Housecoal for £259.00 less a £10 discount offer. Todays price for the same is £295.00 but it's still the cheapest that I can find around here and it is much more convenient to store than loose coal.

Lol I also make use of the strong wooden pallet the coal arrives on either for making things in the garden or as fuel! :)

Not sure that a good price for house coal, i just had 10x 50kg bags of anthercite delivered for £150, I think thats half a tonne. I would expect to pay a lot less for house coal.
    My local garage does 25kg bags of house coal for £6.50 which is the same as your price, as your having it deliverd direct I would defo ring round and see if i could get a better deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure