Purchase protection with debit card?

Comments

• going on holiday to turkey what is the best way to take money,in t/c sterling or euros.
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    derrick wrote:
    You are right re the Consumer Credit Act, that is legislation, however Visa give the same rights under their T&C's to the debit cards with their logo, this is not legislation, just Visa giving (voluntarily) extra rights.

Visa may give you some protection for Debit Cards, but I still don't think it is as good as the Section 75 you get with credit cards.
  • Hi,

You do have rights if you purchased via a visa debit card under a scheme called the Visa Debit Chargeback scheme which all banks that issue visa debit cards must comply with.

You can claim money back if the goods you've bought are damaged or the service or product is not delivered, and there is no limit on what you can claim for. You do have to claim within 120 days of the date you expected the goods to be delivered or the firm going bust.

The Visa Debit chargeback scheme is not legally binding, so you don't have any legal redress if you are unhappy. So you do get better protection using a credit card as the key difference is that when you claim on a credit card under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, the credit card company is legally liable.

Check out this link from the BBC's Working Lunch programme that was updated today due to the recent XL holiday company collapse. This is where I got all the above information and it talks about Maestro cards as well!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7593369.stm

Hope this clears things up a bit, and I am about to use the above information to see if I can get my money back on some flights I booked through XL.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Since this thread dates from 2005 I would think the OP has long gone.

Djott, there is a thread on the holidays board about protection after the collapse of XL, if you take a look it should answer any questions that you may have, good luck with getting your money back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • so if the debit card has a visa logo and something has been stolen which was brought on it, has that got the same cover,?
    Tracy
  • Visa is just a commercial company - an umbrella where the banks systems can talk to each other.
    Visa can say what it likes but cannot overrule any sovereign state's legislation.
  • I made a payment to a company in July 2010 that went into liquidation soon after I made the payment.
    Both the company/liquidators and the bank said that I wouldn't be able to get a refund as I had used a debit card. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. My debit card has got the Visa logo on it, so I came to Martins website and saw the previous threads on this subject. I filled in the template letter and sent it into HSBC on 29th July 2010 then waited for a reply. No reply.On the 23rd August I filled in and printed off the template letter again with the relevant proof of my payment and went and handed it into the bank manager at HSBC, she opened it and read it and told me that she would forward it to the relevant office. On 20th Sept 2010 I received a letter/form from the bank asking for proof of correspondence/ communication with company about a possible refund and proof of purchase etc. I sent back the information they requested on the 27th Sept 2010 and by the 1st Oct 2010 the full refund of £182.13 was in my bank account.
    SO I'M REALLY GRATEFUL FOR ALL THE POSTS HERE AND THIS WEBSITE AND RECOMMEND IT TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I KNOW
    Many Thanks
  • :T
    I made a payment to a company in July 2010 that went into liquidation soon after I made the payment.
    Both the company/liquidators and the bank said that I wouldn't be able to get a refund as I had used a debit card. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. My debit card has got the Visa logo on it, so I came to Martins website and saw the previous threads on this subject. I filled in the template letter and sent it into HSBC on 29th July 2010 then waited for a reply. No reply.On the 23rd August I filled in and printed off the template letter again with the relevant proof of my payment and went and handed it into the bank manager at HSBC, she opened it and read it and told me that she would forward it to the relevant office. On 20th Sept 2010 I received a letter/form from the bank asking for proof of correspondence/ communication with company about a possible refund and proof of purchase etc. I sent back the information they requested on the 27th Sept 2010 and by the 1st Oct 2010 the full refund of £182.13 was in my bank account.
    SO I'M REALLY GRATEFUL FOR ALL THE POSTS HERE AND THIS WEBSITE AND RECOMMEND IT TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I KNOW
    Many Thanks

Hi there Starchild,
    great result for you! If it's okay to ask, was it; an online transaction, EU or US based vendor?
  • Hi people, i use my prepaid mastercard for all online purchases because it comes with purchase protection for internet transactions, well worth looking into if that's what you're after.
  • First Post so be easy on me please as i dont know how to start a new thread :(

I am looking to buy a mobile phone and have come across a site that i have never seen before (Mobiles.co.uk). The deal looks far too good to be true, but the research i have conducted into the site makes it look legit (its part of the Car phone warehouse company...maybe).
    My question is this, i am not buying the phone but tying myself into a contract. this means that i have to put my visa debit card details into the website, what protection do i have if they are fraudsters and is it possible for them to empty my bank account if i am setting up a standing order?
    Any review on the site and protection i receive would be appreciated.
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport