Top Child Trust Funds Article Discussion Area

Comments

• Hey that was the great news ,i am just wondering about this post..
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hey that was the great news ,i am just wondering about this post..
    You sure you're not just building up posts so you can post links to your excellent online drug store????

He'll be spaming soon.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    yogix wrote: »
    Hi krissy08

I too invested in the close asset management UK escalator 100 ACC fund for the child trust funds and got the letter saying that it was being withdrawn and that I was getting 162.62 pence.

Did you find a good deal? I contacted the share centre about the withdraw and they sent me a form to fill in before I can talk about re-investment.

I received another letter today saying that the Child Investment Account has been credited and the respective funds are no longer on my account. I am not really sure what that means.

I assume thought I cannot withdraw the cash myself to invest somewhere else?
    yogix........ Whilst you cannot withdraw funds from within the CTF wrapper you can transfer in to another CTF provider, whether that is a cash (savings) one or an investment account again.

Your existing CTF provider should be able to supply you with a transfer form, you just need to identify where you want to transfer it to.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • cecil123
    cecil123 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hey that was the great news ,i am just wondering about this post..
  • madfiddler
    madfiddler Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I hadn't been paying much attention to my son's 4 year old CTF until the statement I got last November. I calculated that I'd paid in over £4000 into it, but the value was little over £3200, having lost approx 20% of its value so far.

It's a stakeholder and I don't think it'll make the money back.

I'd like to cut my loses now and get it moved in to a simply savings plan... which to be honest is what I thought I was doing in the first place.

Not a happy bunny. Just not found the time to sort this out yet.
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    Presumably therefore you started investing in 2007 before the markets crashed , so being down is not surprising. And 20% down four years into a long term investment is trivial.

You don't say who you are invested with or in what funds, but with good choices there is a very high probability the fund will recover and grow well by age 18. Don't make the classic mistake of selling at the bottom.

However with S&S investments it does depend if you can ride the highs and lows with equanimity. If you can't, it may be better to switch to a cash CTF.
  • Thanks for the tips. Sent off my advice registration. Got back a confirmation letter but haven't done anything with it since. The letter says that they have a preferred range of funds called Platinum 120. If its difficult to choose their sister company Sharefunds have packaged together three funds cautious, positive and adventurous using selected funds from the Platinum 120 fund.

Still not sure though. The letter also said that they offer advice and an opinion on UK shares but do not give personalised recommendations on funds. I did think that the whole reason for the advice registration was to get help with choosing a fund.
  • mark13
    mark13 Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Where is the best place to compare CTFs, most of the usual places are not updating information . I currently have 2 CTF's , one cash (with Earl Shilton, bonus due to expire next month) , and one stakeholder and I am paying £20 into each per month.
    Win Dec 2009 - In the Night Garden DVD : Nov 2010 - Paultons Park Tickets :
  • zamzia
    zamzia Posts: 5 Forumite
    fws51 wrote: »
    I suggest anyone with kids stuck in CTFs should sign the e-petition regarding merging CTFs with Junior ISAs. It's number 7468.

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7468

Done. I can't believe there are only 3,999 signatures though. Seriously!
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    zamzia wrote: »
    Done. I can't believe there are only 3,999 signatures though. Seriously!

Probably because this seems to me a non-issue, and we are not 'stuck' in CTFs. My son's CTF (F&C Investment Trust) is doing fine and there would be no advantage I can see in transferring it to a JISA. The expectation (I am informed) is that the money in a CTF will be rolled into an ISA when it matures
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback