How much would my son get for a paper round he's starting

Options
My 13 year old has just agreed to start a once a week delivery for newsquest in the west midlands (213 papers). However he forgot to ask how much he will get and I don't really want to phone and ask :o. does anyone know rounghly what they pay? Thanks

Comments

• uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Options
    Hi it will depend on how many houses are in the list for the paper round, my son use to do one on a thursday for a weekly local paper it had 118 properties that he had to deliver to and he got paid £6.31 a week plus extra for any leaflets .They use to pay him weekly then it changed to 4 weekly pay.Dont take these amounts as gospel but as a rough guide to how much he might get.Companies obviously pay different amounts depending on who they are.Personally I thought it was a bit of a rip off but then again it use to take him 45 mins max so when it is put like that its not to bad.HTH:)
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • freddie_2
    Options
    aprox 20 years ago I delivered a free paper. It was 2p a paper. Think I had about 250 papers.
    Was extra money at the time, moved on to a part time job and got 1.99 an hour, thought I was really rich (actually sure I had more disposable income then than I have now!)
  • Britwife
    Britwife Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    My son got about £20 a week for delivering 20 papers a day but Sats he had about 40 papers. He questioned his pay as he got quite a few more deliveries without getting a pay rise. Usually, you do have to have a certain number added before they will raise your pay. They refused but he still delivered them as he enjoyed it. Once he started college, he had to turn his notice in and they offered him a pay rise. nice
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    tpotx wrote: »
    My 13 year old has just agreed to start a once a week delivery for newsquest in the west midlands (213 papers). However he forgot to ask how much he will get and I don't really want to phone and ask :o. does anyone know rounghly what they pay? Thanks

you dont usually get paid much for delivering the papers. where you make the money is from the advertising flyers that you have to put in the papers

if just papers, with no flyers, then expect between £5-£10/wk - having to add half a dozen flyers to each paper, usually doubles your income

i would expect 200 papers to take 4-5hrs to deliver, depending on how densely populated your area is

F
  • krycek985
    Options
    I delivered free papers for a while and the money was rubbish.

My paper round had about 200 odd houses about 2 miles from where I lived. Having to walk back and forth to fill you bag in the rain isnt to much fun and then you get less than £20 for the pleasure.

Loads of younger people also just get the papers and throw then in a skip but be warned people do go round and check on the odd occasion that the papers are being delivered.
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    I think the going rate is between £15 and £20 per week.
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My daughter delivered a local freesheet and the pay was dreadful - I think she got about £11 per fortnight for 130 papers each week :eek:
    tpotx wrote: »
    However he forgot to ask how much he will get and I don't really want to phone and ask :o.

Why wouldn't you want to ask? If you don't know you won't know if he is being paid the right money. Your son is perfectly entitled to ring and ask the rate of pay and also how they pay him (cash / into bank and weekly or monthly). I would call them :D
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Amanda65 wrote: »
    I would call them :D
    I would make him call them.
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    I would make him call them.

I agree - I had said that her son was entitled to call and ask rates etc. so was intimating that it was him that rings, just obviously not very clearly :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Sues48
    Sues48 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    My son delivered the free paper in our area for a few months and the basic pay was £6.50 for over 200 papers plus extra for the leaflets, most weeks he earned between £8.00 and £9.00. TBH it was slave labour really as it used to take hours putting the leaflets into the papers plus about 2 1/2hrs to actually deliver them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure