building own wardrobe for bedroom

hi all

Im considering buiding my own wardrobe for my bedroom... we have a great long wall will a chimmeny breast in the middle... im thinking about building some shelves on either side of the breast and sticking some doors on the front......seeing as im using the space on either side of the chimnney breast alot of the work is already done. I just need put some shelves up and some doors... but still wonder if anyone has done it and if they can reccomend any good websites that show you how to set about it.

cheers

Comments

• vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What about the sliding mirror door kits?

Thats what we've done, in last house & here & will in the new place.

You don't need them to be all 'mirror' if you don't want, as there are lots of finish options.

You only buy doors, track sets & then build whatever you want inside. You will need to in-fill the top, to make the correct height, usually.

B&Q have their own, but the Stanley range are often on offer in Focus & Homebase

VB
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    try this book

how to store just about anything

by albert jackson & david day

isbn 0-00-412653-x
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    either a sliding mirror kit.
    or ikea range of wardrobes. mix and match sizes to get the space filled as best you can. then get matching panels to cover up any gaps at the side.

buying cheap wardrobes in the sales is often cheaper than buying the wood req to make you own. the big asda stores do very cheap furniture. also BQ etc...
    Get some gorm.
  • keyboard
    keyboard Posts: 219 Forumite
    many thanks for all your replies.....and thanks for the heads up about the sliding door kit,,,,,, sounds like investigating......

cheers all
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I did this many years ago - used chrome towel railing and end fittings to make a hanging rail, I put a central support too as it was a fairly long run, and then fitted shelves above. I didnt bother with doors as I was really hard up - just hung floor length curtains which I already had in the airing cupboard so was quite cheap for me. I would have loved to afford the mirrored door kit though!

Its great diy-ing a wardrobe because you can put the storage exactly where you want it. Before you sit down to plan this (you are going to plan it of course? :D ) think about what you need to store - lots of hat boxes? lots of shoes? lots of folded things? and plan your shelving and rail accordingly. ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    rosieben wrote: »
    think about what you need to store - lots of shoes? ;)

Rosieben has been around to our house, it sounds like!!

VB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport