Can you paint UPVC window frames?

Hi all,
We are moving into a new house in april, now unfortunately the vendors put in new windows 2 yrs ago and they are fine. But in the lounge they had them made so that the frame is white on the exterior and brown on the interior window and french doors to match the dark wood furniture in the room. Now I don't like this look and plan on having mid to light oak furniture and floor so I think it will look odd!
Can anyone suggest anything apart from replacing a window and french doors as could do without this expense at present, it was suggested you could paint the frames white is this true and what does it look like?
Many thanks :confused:

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    international paints make a upvc paint primer. i assume you can then use any gloss paint topcoat.
    sorry but ive no idea what the result will look like though.
    Get some gorm.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Haven't done it myself but tried Google out of interest and found this: http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/stry/tl200403&bklist=pcat,3,advicecentrecategory,diycategory

apparently you can get upvc primer as an undercoart if you want to paint yellowed upvc frames - presumably it would work for painting dark ones white??
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Yes, BandQ sell white paint for UPVC windows.
    Never tried it though.
  • Thanks got to be worth a try as can't have them the way they are, but might get an expert eg painter and decorator to do them rather than myself, as gloss is difficult to get right. :beer:
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    steer well clear of diy store paint
    get it from a trade mechant
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    I wouldnt gloss the PVC, I have done a few P&D jobs where the owner has tried to decorate themselves, and in the process got the pvc frames into a right mess, or the pvc is so old and hadnt been washed that the dirt is grimed in.

What I have done in the past, is undercoat with oilbase undercoat, then the next day when dry, apply a coat of satinwood, and honestly it does the trick.
    The satinwood blends in better than the gloss would do,and it does look nice and fresh.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    misgrace wrote:
    I wouldnt gloss the PVC, I have done a few P&D jobs where the owner has tried to decorate themselves, and in the process got the pvc frames into a right mess, or the pvc is so old and hadnt been washed that the dirt is grimed in.

What I have done in the past, is undercoat with oilbase undercoat, then the next day when dry, apply a coat of satinwood, and honestly it does the trick.
    The satinwood blends in better than the gloss would do,and it does look nice and fresh.

Why not gloss? Reason I ask is I have a modern metal front door that is white glossed with a stained glass insert with white pvc frame to it. The PVC is going rather yellow and I thought glossing it the same as the door would brighten it up?
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    What I meant on my post and should have explained properly lol, was that you dont put gloss on straight away, undercoat it first to give it some base, then if you want gloss.
    Personally satin looks better on PVC, but then I dont like gloss.:eek:
  • you say the internal window is brown, this would normally mean woodgrain I think ?
    The woodgrain on my uPVC windows is in fact a metal coat over the upvc, so you might be trying to paint metal rather than upvc plastic
    might affect the type of paint reqd
  • Hi thanks for that last post going to do some measuring up tomorrow so will ask the sellers then. Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure