Help for Hearing Impairment

Comments

• Guardsman
    Guardsman Posts: 991 Forumite
    So it's anything between a day and a week then.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
  • I wear my hearing aids (Siemen's DPs) for about 15 hours a day and replace the batteries about once every two weeks.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    zaksmum wrote: »
    My hearing aid has a warning tone too, so I know I have about an hour before it goes dead on me.

Actually it was funny when I first got the aid. The dispenser didn't mention the warning tone and my last aid didn't have it. When I heard it I was home with my daughter, and I said to her "What was that?" She hadn't (of course!) heard it and looked at me as if I was mad.

It sounded three more times before I realised what it was and my daughter was ready to send for the men in white coats!!
    :rotfl: I seem to be the only one who can hear mine whistling if it's left on when not in my ear!
    Guardsman wrote: »
    So it's anything between a day and a week then.
    could be longer ...
    stardust09 wrote: »
    I wear my hearing aids (Siemen's DPs) for about 15 hours a day and replace the batteries about once every two weeks.
    for example.

Is battery changing going to be a problem? I know some people struggle, and some relatives make a point of changing batteries whether they need it or not if they are visiting someone who is dependent on the aid and can't do it.

the other thing which does need regular replacement is the tubing! at least every 6 months.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Guardsman
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »

Is battery changing going to be a problem? I know some people struggle, and some relatives make a point of changing batteries whether they need it or not if they are visiting someone who is dependent on the aid and can't do it.

the other thing which does need regular replacement is the tubing! at least every 6 months.

Changing the battery is not a problem I was just interested in how long they are likely to last under average use.
    The nearest hospital that would supply free batteries is about 50 miles round trip.Will the hospital give me enough batteries to last a few weeks or would I need to make regular expensive trips to collect them if it's the latter then the cheapest option would be to buy online.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    They'll give you a good supply, probably six month's worth, and when you're running low post them your book with a request for more batteries to be sent to you by return of post.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The nearest hospital that would supply free batteries is about 50 miles round trip.Will the hospital give me enough batteries to last a few weeks or would I need to make regular expensive trips to collect them if it's the latter then the cheapest option would be to buy online.
    are you sure? or have you checked? I can go back to hosp or to several local GP surgeries.

if not, as E says, get them by post.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My digital aids last 5 to 7 days on a set of batteries and my husband rings my audiology dept and they send me 3 months supply of batteries at a time but I do also ask if Im at wheelchair services etc. at the hospital so that I can have 4-6 months batteries in reserve.

Isnt it great that every battery seller has to recycle used batteries now, much better than having a return and replace system for hearing aid batteries that was used by my PCT.
  • NoAngel
    NoAngel Posts: 774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PudseyDB wrote: »
    Oldwiring - are they digital aids?? (I'm not familiar with the current brands of hearing aid models) If not, then ask for referral for an up to date hearing test then ask if its possible to try digital aids. These sometimes result in a slight loss of volume, but prodce a clearer sound and can be programmed for different social settings which might help you.

They are digital aids (incase anyone was wondering). They're not the newest ones about, but they're still on NHS contract meaning that some departments will still be fitting them.
  • Guardsman
    I'm having a pair of Siemens Impact M fitted in two weeks time,I have never worn hearing aids before so what should I realistically expect from them?
    When do I tell the audiologist that they hearing aids are OK when in all honesty I have no idea what the quality of sound should be.
    Will I be able to walk around the hospital to try them out in different situations ?

I truly am looking forward to getting them because at the moment I'm missing out on a lot of things and that is my worry that maybe I'm looking forward too much and they will not be what I expected.I hope all this makes sense to somebody out there
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm having a pair of Siemens Impact M fitted in two weeks time,I have never worn hearing aids before so what should I realistically expect from them?
    When do I tell the audiologist that they hearing aids are OK when in all honesty I have no idea what the quality of sound should be.
    Will I be able to walk around the hospital to try them out in different situations ?

I truly am looking forward to getting them because at the moment I'm missing out on a lot of things and that is my worry that maybe I'm looking forward too much and they will not be what I expected.I hope all this makes sense to somebody out there

They are used to getting newbies through the door and they will talk you through everything (and where the local hearing aid battery centers are, they are located in health centers, local community hospitals etc. and postal supplys can also be arranged), you also have a follow up appointment soon after new aids are fitted and most clinics have drop in sessions at least once a week so that you can call in if your having problems.

You need to wear the aids to get used to them so the volume switch might be turned off because otherwise everyone turns them right down due to overload at listening to normal things for the first time in years, I thought the car was going to blow up and the house was falling down when I first got my digital aids :eek:.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure