How long does UTR take to come?

I ask because I have registered online for self assesment as a sole trader, and the company that I will be working for require my UTR before i can start. So i'm basically a sitting duck until i know it. On the online form it said it takes (on average) 7 days for everything to be processed, i only registered last Tuesday, however i've seen stories of people waiting weeks, sometimes months before they find out their number.

Comments

• Anyone? Or is there any other way I can find it?
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Mine took less than a week to come.

Did they give you any indication of how long it would take when you registered?
    I have always found their helpline to be very good, so maybe phone up and ask.
  • Once i'd completed the registration, it took me to a page that asked me to print it off, with a reference number etc. On that page it said that my registration takes 7 days to process, and that all my varying taxes will be sent via post.

Ive spoken to people who said that their UTR took around three weeks to come, however that was when they went into their local tax office. The one in my area was closed down earlier this year and it's all online now.
  • Why not phone the helpline?

I thought it may be a tad premature? The general evaluation I've seen online was that it can take weeks to come.
  • Just for future reference. I received my UTR this morning. Three weeks and four days after registering for self assesment. Im sure that when HMRC require something from me, the process will be a lot faster. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure