Need car insurance for 1 week only

Hi I'm hoping someone on here can help.

I currently drive a Mondeo ST24 which is fully insured. However it is going into the garage next Thursday to have some body work done ( It's got a bit rusty in places).

Luckly we have another car which we just brought as a project car. It is tax and MOT'ed but not insured.

Can I get insurance from anyway just for the week or so that my other car is being fixed. The 'spare' car is a Subaru Impreza and was imported in 2000. Some of the insurance companies I've looked at wont do short term insurance because it is imported.

Please help

Thanks

Comments

• claire_963
    claire_963 Posts: 32 Forumite
    you could call your current insurance and ask if they will cover the car for the week?
  • Tried that but the wont insure the Subaru. Was thinking about pay as you drive insurance but don't know who does that now
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You could try these people who do short term cover

http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk/

I don't think you should expect and imported impreza to be cheap though.
  • Just used the link on the above quote.

They want £609 for 28 days insurance.:eek: Now I know I want to insure a Subaru but I can get a years insurance for cheaper than that.

Thanks anyway for the link
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Insurance is mainly based on 12 month contracts

so either insure it for a year, get a hire car if cheaper or get the bus, train, cycle, walk etc.

I preume you've already asked the garage about a courtesy car?
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Hi I'm hoping someone on here can help.

I currently drive a Mondeo ST24 which is fully insured. However it is going into the garage next Thursday to have some body work done ( It's got a bit rusty in places).

Luckly we have another car which we just brought as a project car. It is tax and MOT'ed but not insured.

Can I get insurance from anyway just for the week or so that my other car is being fixed. The 'spare' car is a Subaru Impreza and was imported in 2000. Some of the insurance companies I've looked at wont do short term insurance because it is imported.

Please help

Thanks

Is it modded as well?
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Renting a car would be cheaper
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Yep. Got a K&N induction kit, stainless steel exhust, and different alloys. However it also has a tracker fitted as well as cat 1 alarm and immobiliser.

Got a few more quotes for short term insurance. Lowest being £207 for 28 days with excess of £750.

Looks like im going to have to be carless for a week. :eek:
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Yep. Got a K&N induction kit, stainless steel exhust, and different alloys. However it also has a tracker fitted as well as cat 1 alarm and immobiliser.

Got a few more quotes for short term insurance. Lowest being £207 for 28 days with excess of £750.

Looks like im going to have to be carless for a week. :eek:

No-one's gonna cover that for a week (the induction kit's the problem). Even Keith Michaels will load for that.

Why not insure it for a year? :confused:
  • Its only Taxed until the end of August and then it is going onto a SORN as its a project car. Just thought that as mine was going in for a week if it wasn't going to cost too much then I could drive it around.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure