PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant Fees - Infuriating

Comments

• If you don't like these fees buy somewhere!

Oh no! I can hear it now! I can't afford it! Everything is too expensive and so on.

It's always been like this.

When I bought in the 1970's on my wages of £50/week I had to buy a tiny two bed terraced house, no heating, no double glazing, no garage, no garden. Miles from work, but I could just afford it.

There was no way I could live where my parents lived, in anything near as big.

We bought second hand furniture, didn't go on holidays abroad, never had a take away, visited the pub on Saturday night.

Did I mention 9% interest rate on your mortgage!

So kids, buy something you can afford, ditch Netflix, iPhones, new cars, foreign holidays, all new furniture, start small.

That's what we all did, just get on with it.

Good luck, fj
  • If you don't like these fees buy somewhere!

Oh no! I can hear it now! I can't afford it! Everything is too expensive and so on.

When I bought in the 1970's on my wages of £50/week I had to buy a tiny two bed terraced house, no heating, no double glazing, no garage, no garden. Miles from work, but I could just afford it.

We bought second hand furniture, didn't go on holidays abroad, never had a take away, visited the pub on Saturday night.

So kids, buy something you can afford, ditch Netflix, iPhones, new cars, foreign holidays, all new furniture, start small.

Good luck, fj

And I suppose you walked uphill to school both ways too?

There's a wealth of data out there showing that housing is less affordable than it used to be. For example, the first google result. When you adjust for inflation (i.e. making your £50 wage comparable to wages today) house prices are more than double. In Q1 1975 the average inflation-adjusted house price was £88k and now it's £204k.

Yes, I'm sure some people could spend their money more wisely. But I'm beyond tired of hearing how people today are just whiners who should take a lesson from previous generations, without any acknowledgement that in certain domains previous generations had it easier than is the case today.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    If you don't like these fees buy somewhere!

Good luck, fj

I disagree but on a different point.

Not everyone wants to buy. In my opinion the rush to buy, leads people to forming relationships too quick and is part of the reason there are so many broken families in this country.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 September 2016 at 2:45PM
    And I suppose you walked uphill to school both ways too?

There's a wealth of data out there showing that housing is less affordable than it used to be. For example, the first google result. When you adjust for inflation (i.e. making your £50 wage comparable to wages today) house prices are more than double. In Q1 1975 the average inflation-adjusted house price was £88k and now it's £204k.

Yes, I'm sure some people could spend their money more wisely. But I'm beyond tired of hearing how people today are just whiners who should take a lesson from previous generations, without any acknowledgement that in certain domains previous generations had it easier than is the case today.

Actually I have just looked up a house that I bought in the early 1980s and compared it with what I could borrow to pay for it now. Then I was up to my maximum borrowing amount. Now I could borrow more than it would cost. I compared the salary that I was earning then with the salary that I would earn now for the same job and I would actually be better off now than I was then. The interest rate of the mortgage was 11%. I couldn't afford to go on holiday. I had to have a car for my job. I couldn't afford to eat out. I couldn't afford a colour television license so had a cheap black and white one. My furniture mostly came from auctions. I had a second hand cooker and a second hand washing machine. Money was very tight.

In my case property is now cheaper than it was when I bought and borrowing is much cheaper. So if I had bought now I could have afforded a more expensive property.

You have to be very careful with statistics. You cannot average property values over the whole UK it depends where you live.

Income tax was 30%.
  • Barnard Marcus seem to be the worst for this totaling more than £500
  • Naf wrote: »
    You're saying that your payment history could be totally trashed with defaults littered over your file, but as long as theres no CCJs, you'd pass a LA check? I'm not convinced...

Why would they see anything beside public info? They're not lenders so they don't have the authority to search for detailed financial info. Do you get to see landlord's credit file to make sure they are gonna pay their mortgage? No.

Only stuff they see is CCJs, IVAs and bankruptcy.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    No it's what is roughly affordable.

Your salary is 2.5x the rent. So you aren't over stretched.

Why are the fees 'unfair'? Is £3 unfair for a burger? Dominos charge £18 for a pizza, is that unfair?

Unlawful clauses? Safely ignore those.

Yes it is. A Margherita at a "pizzeria" in Italy costs about 5 euros and it's huge. Compare that to what one costs here at Pizza!!!! etc and I can tell you it's massively overpriced for what you get. I've had it and even some frozen pizzas in Italy can outclass all the Pizzahut and Domino's you can get here.
    Thing is you don't have an alternative here because that's what you can shop at for a pizza takeaway. I don't think you can suggest that people travel to some other country for a cheaper pizza or give it up just because these greedy companies have decided to charge that much unfairly. It's unfair because no way Domino's would charge the equivalent of £18 in Italy for their pizza. No one would buy it because they would have alternatives that are far cheaper and much better.
    They only get away with it because they don't have cheaper and better quality competition in the same place.

You can apply this to estate agents in a certain area. If that's what you get and no landlords basically do everything on their own, what's a perspective tenant supposed to do? I can't go and live miles away from where I work just because it's cheaper somewhere else that's 50 miles away. It doesn't work that way.
    If someone looks in a certain area despite knowing it's more expensive and agents charge a lot in fees obviously it's because their hands are tied and they can't go and look somewhere else.
  • Guest101
    Yes it is. A Margherita at a "pizzeria" in Italy costs about 5 euros and it's huge. Compare that to what one costs here at Pizza!!!! etc and I can tell you it's massively overpriced for what you get. I've had it and even some frozen pizzas in Italy can outclass all the Pizzahut and Domino's you can get here.
    Thing is you don't have an alternative here because that's what you can shop at for a pizza takeaway. I don't think you can suggest that people travel to some other country for a cheaper pizza or give it up just because these greedy companies have decided to charge that much unfairly. It's unfair because no way Domino's would charge the equivalent of £18 in Italy for their pizza. No one would buy it because they would have alternatives that are far cheaper and much better.
    They only get away with it because they don't have cheaper and better quality competition in the same place.

You can apply this to estate agents in a certain area. If that's what you get and no landlords basically do everything on their own, what's a perspective tenant supposed to do? I can't go and live miles away from where I work just because it's cheaper somewhere else that's 50 miles away. It doesn't work that way.
    If someone looks in a certain area despite knowing it's more expensive and agents charge a lot in fees obviously it's because their hands are tied and they can't go and look somewhere else.

I'm sorry but you are incorrect, you choose not to live 50 miles away. You choose to pay £18 for a pizza.

No one forces you.

You want a pizza? Make it yourself ( or in case of housing search for it yourself)

Or you pay £18 for dominos ( or £400 to a letting agent)

It's not inherently unfair, because you are not forced to pick a certain career, or certain area or whatever. That's your choice.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Guest101 wrote: »
    ...you are not forced to pick a certain career, or certain area or whatever. That's your choice.

Is it? Is it really?

This is such an arrogant attitude towards the poor - they should just get a different/better paid job, just like that. Must be lovely living in this dreamworld where poverty is the person's fault, and nothing to do with the economy built by the rich, for the rich, which has one purpose - to keep the rich and powerful rich and powerful.

When all of your possible options of jobs are minimum wage, and living further away just saves on rent to the same tune as your additional travel costs (if that), you can't save so you can't just move to a different area, you can't study because you need to work...

Tell me again how thats all fair, reasonable, and an acceptable way to treat people?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Guest101
    Naf wrote: »
    Is it? Is it really?

This is such an arrogant attitude towards the poor - they should just get a different/better paid job, just like that. Must be lovely living in this dreamworld where poverty is the person's fault, and nothing to do with the economy built by the rich, for the rich, which has one purpose - to keep the rich and powerful rich and powerful.

When all of your possible options of jobs are minimum wage, and living further away just saves on rent to the same tune as your additional travel costs (if that), you can't save so you can't just move to a different area, you can't study because you need to work...

Tell me again how thats all fair, reasonable, and an acceptable way to treat people?

Sure.

You see life isn't fair. Now that we can accept such a basic principle, in which no one owes you ( the overall 'you', not specifically 'naf') a living. Life is what you make of it.

Everyone has access to an education, all the way up to uni. If you choose not to make the most of that, that's not my fault.

It's not my fault that the only jobs available are minimum wage, but even then the govt tips up low incomes. ( via numerous benefits ).

Can you point out where the state directly keeps people in poverty? To clarify my point: there is a sizeable tax free allowance, child benefit, c/w tax credits. Housing benefit. Council tax benefit. Free education Free healthcare. Social housing. - I think the poor are fairly well supported.

If NMW is all that's suitable then those roles are available across the country. So travel would not be required
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure