Application/Interview Result Dispute - Emergency Service

Hello team MSE,

This is a little long, but please bear with me.

I applied to one of the Emergency Services in London, and after passing an assessment was invited to an interview on 18th August.

On 30th August I made contact with one of the two panel members who interviewed me as I had received no feedback.
I had a lengthy conversation with this person who raised concern about unaccounted gaps in my employment but also stated that I sat a good interview and did not fail it.
I was informed if I were to send a complete employment history covering the gaps along with key skills gained/used, there would be potential of a second interview but this would have to be with somebody else.

On 4th September I emailed the person above (also Cc’d two other HR staff members) my complete employment history accounting for the gaps.

I called my interviewer on 9th September as I had received no communications. I was informed that my information had been passed on and I should contact HR.

On 12th September I received an email from one of the two HR staff members I had Cc'd informing me that I have been unsuccessful? No reason/feedback provided.
I called this HR staff member the following day seeking an explanation and feedback. To my surprise I was informed that my interviewer had mentioned to this HR staff that she (my interviewer) had informed me that I had failed.
My interviewer never mentioned this to me during any of our conversations.

I emailed my interviewer on 13th September seeking clarification and feedback, which I am yet to receive.

I sent a letter to the Head of Recruitment for role applied for on 16th September, expressing my dissatisfaction and seeking clarification/investigation.
Received an email acknowledging my letter and will respond no later than 14 days from receipt. GUESS WHAT?...NOTHING!!!
Emailed this person on 9th October seeking an update, only to be informed my interviewer has been away, investigation is ongoing and will get back to me by the end of this week (14/10).

If I do not hear from the Head of Recruitment OR if I do and the result is not in my favour, can I pursue this further?

Your input would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think the phrase "burned bridges" is appropriate now.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • I truly do not see what I have done wrong. I have remained nothing but professional but feel let down by the Emergency Service.

I have done all the running, and yet still awaiting feedback as to why I have not been successful.

Bogalot - What's been my 'inappropriate response'?
  • nmr1991
    nmr1991 Posts: 45 Forumite
    You have to get used to the fact that businesses are not obliged to give you feedback or give reasons for denying your application, they may have just found a more suitable person to fill the vacancy. No matter how far in the process you get in whatever you apply for, doesn't make a difference to them, they look for certain traits that are more detectable in an interview, they probably saw something in you they didn't like, and until you sign an employment contract, they are not bound by the equality act and you have no evidence against them if you have been treated unfairly in the application process. Just thinking in the recruiters shoes here.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    nmr1991 wrote: »
    ... until you sign an employment contract, they are not bound by the equality act and you have no evidence against them if you have been treated unfairly in the application process..

That is not true. Recruitment is covered by the Equality Act. However, I cannot see anything here that suggests unfairness due to a protected characteristic. General "unfairness" is not unlawful,

Nobody is entitled to feedback. I think that Bogalot is referring to your repeated insistence on an explanation for not getting the job. That comes across as too heavy handed - that alone may be enough to suggest you are unsuitable. Ohreally is certainly correct - you have burned your bridges. There is nowhere you can go with this and at this stage I cannot see that they will entertain a further application from you in the future. Best move on.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    BraveHeart wrote: »
    I truly do not see what I have done wrong. I have remained nothing but professional but feel let down by the Emergency Service.

What you did wrong was not providing a complete employment history at the outset. Everything which has happened since then is a direct or indirect result of that. The person you spoke to from the interviewing panel may have thought they were being helpful by offering to forward the additional information, but not been fully conversant with HR procedure.
    The interview panel's thought process might even be that somebody who can't provide the most basic of information accurately, isn't the sort of person they want working in a high pressure, emergency role where clear and accurate thought is vital.
    You need to accept that the opportunity for this job is gone and, if you continue to harangue them at all levels, you will destroy any chance of getting work with them in the future too.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    BraveHeart wrote: »
    If I do not hear from the Head of Recruitment OR if I do and the result is not in my favour, can I pursue this further?

The short answer is you can't, at least not in any useful way that is likely to benefit you.

As others have indicated there is no right to interview feedback so it is only something you can ask nicely for and not demand.

Unless you genuinely feel you have suffered unlawful discrimination you need to accept that they have a right to employ who they choose, for whatever reasons they choose regardless of whether that is fair or not.
  • YouAsked
    YouAsked Posts: 97 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 8:08AM
    Hi,

agree with others you've burned bridges here.

I can't speak for every single person who recruits staff, but I personally would have been quite put off by your approach.

When you're recruiting staff, first priority is can they or will they be able to do the job. That's usually what the essential/desired criteria part of your application is for. The interview stage is to test what's on your application, but also to get a feel for how you would fit into an organisation - and for many people this is as important as your ability.

In my experience, people want to recruit those who can do the job and fit seamlessly into an organisation with the minimum of hassle and everyone can just get on with their jobs happily. Whereas, you bungled a bit of your application then:
    4th Sept - emailed three people
    9th Sept - called up to chase
    13th Sept - called HR seeking explanation/feedback as to why you'd been unsuccessful
    13th Sept - emailed interviewer seeking clarification
    16th Sept - emailed Head of HR expressing dissatisfaction and seeking clarification/investigation

So you're not coming across as a hassle free addition to any team, you're coming across as someone who has messed up then keeps pushing it and pushing it until you get an answer that is acceptable to you, going over people's heads until you do so, when in reality, you're not entitled to feedback for not getting a job.

There will people involved in that process saying to each other "don't give too much detail, don't commit anything in writing"" - thinking they're dealing with someone who is either litigious or vexatious.

Their big mistake was not saying from word go "sorry, we won't be giving feedback" or give you bland feedback such as "such a strong field of applicants".

But the upshot is, you're not entitled to feedback regardless of what someone may have said (possibly trying to be helpful) and you're not entitled to a job. Yes, someone may have messed up at some stage and given you incorrect information, but ultimately so what? They still don't want you to work for them, regardless of what this "investigation" shows.

Move on and learn from it.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The problem is that this application was a bit part of your life, so you made it a priority. This raised expectations in terms of expecting an outcome.

They on the other hand don't consider you a priority at all, as a matter of fact, dealing with your demands for feedback will be as low as it gets and the only reason they are dealing with it at all is probably as a result of following an internal HR policy. They are just ticking the box, they have no interest in giving you a job, hence why you are better moving on at this stage and accept that what has come out of this is feedback that it is essential to add on your CV the reasons for your gap in employment.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Here it is in black & white (and green as I prefer the original forum look):

If they were really interested in you, they would have contacted you.

Plan your next job interview.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd agree that it would be a waste of time to pursue this any further. What would be better to spend your time doing is considering why you left something out of your employment history and what in future you should do if there is something in there that you don't want employers to know about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure