Lunch Log Challenge 2008

Comments

• Right, I'm cancelling Monday. Official!

I ate my sandwiches by 11am (blame the hormones) and I scrounged a tin of soup at noon, then I spent 45p on a bagel and £1.19 on Egg Mayo.

Monday - £1.64 - sandwiches, soup, egg mayo & bagel
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • fletch3163 wrote: »
    Right, I'm cancelling Monday. Official!

I ate my sandwiches by 11am (blame the hormones) and I scrounged a tin of soup at noon, then I spent 45p on a bagel and £1.19 on Egg Mayo.

Monday - £1.64 - sandwiches, soup, egg mayo & bagel

I've not done much better...

Monday : Breakfast 1.10
    Tuesday : Breakfast 1.20 + Lunch 2.70
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    Monday wasn't great for me either, couldn't face soup again -

Mon 18th - £1.90
    Tue 19th - £0 (had interview in the morning so went home for lunch)
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • (Land_of)_Maz
    (Land_of)_Maz Posts: 11,738 Forumite
    I was off work yesterday... horray for me.

However today is the new monday and i failed miserably! Spent £2.50!

Sorry! Will try harder all week i promise!
    I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
    (it's part of my charm!)
  • Well so far so good, nothing spent this week so far and it feels great:)
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • Good morning
    Well, Monday went well, and I didn't spend anything extra on my lunch (brought in ham sandwiches, cup a soup and yoghurt). I did buy some diet coke though, as a mid afternoon break.
    Yesterday was a very different story though - was meeting an old colleague for lunch and it came to £9.30 :eek: !!!
    If nothing else, it makes you realise how much can be saved by bringing in your own lunch. How do others deal with situations like this, when you need to be 'sociable'?
    I'm meeting another friend for lunch today, but I'm determined to keep it low - wish me luck.

Monday 18th Feb - £0.00:A
    Tuesday 19th Feb - £9.30 :eek:
    Cymru am Byth!
  • (Land_of)_Maz
    (Land_of)_Maz Posts: 11,738 Forumite
    Pengwern16 wrote: »

How do others deal with situations like this, when you need to be 'sociable'?

I'm not sure if there is really a good way to deal with sociable lunches... apart from saying no from time to time, not accepting every offer that comes in... and realising that you can treat yourself from time to time if you are strict the rest of the time......

My old work had a birthday club thing where you got taken out for lunch on your birthday provided you went out and contributed to other peoples, but it got ridiculous, some months there were 4-5 birthdays. You just have to be able to say no from time to time.

Good question though!
    I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
    (it's part of my charm!)
  • superpup
    superpup Posts: 571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was feeling sorry for myself this morning and announced I was going to get something from the sandwich van when it came round. One of my colleagues who knows I'm only eating lunch brought in from home said he wouldn't let me. I swore at him and a few minutes later he handed me £2 and said I wouldn't be failing my challenge as he was paying for it (I lent him my car last week).
    So, bacon sarnie and a 'no spend on lunch' day! :j

sp x
  • Hi
    I had plans for yesterday involving meeting an old friend I hadn't seen for ages, for lunch. The plans were made before I had realised what a financial pickle we are in:eek:

I cycled into town (brrr) and saved money on petrol and parking, and then met my friend. Making conversation I asked her if she had eaten or wanted lunch, and then kicked myself for the stupid question. However she replied that she could always eat at her desk and why not just have a coffee and save the pennies!!! So we did that (and she paid). We had a great natter for 45mins over the coffees.

And, although by this time I was absolutely starving I managed to avoid all the food in town and cycled home for lunch.:A

I guess we were lucky that the cafe was not too busy and let us stay there with just coffee (probably not so easy on a busy day) - but coffee is a cheaper option and will help me on the DFW journey!

Cheers
    CBM
    Jan 08: Debt £15,211 :eek: Debt cleared April 30th 2010 :D
    Proud to have dealt with my debt! Currently building up savings.:T
    With enormous thanks to everyone on the forums and:money:
  • superpup
    superpup Posts: 571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    I had plans for yesterday involving meeting an old friend I hadn't seen for ages, for lunch. The plans were made before I had realised what a financial pickle we are in:eek:

I cycled into town (brrr) and saved money on petrol and parking, and then met my friend. Making conversation I asked her if she had eaten or wanted lunch, and then kicked myself for the stupid question. However she replied that she could always eat at her desk and why not just have a coffee and save the pennies!!! So we did that (and she paid). We had a great natter for 45mins over the coffees.

And, although by this time I was absolutely starving I managed to avoid all the food in town and cycled home for lunch.:A

I guess we were lucky that the cafe was not too busy and let us stay there with just coffee (probably not so easy on a busy day) - but coffee is a cheaper option and will help me on the DFW journey!

Cheers
    CBM

Hey, that was an unexpected bonus! (Maybe she's a secret DFW ;) )

sp x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport