EDF Letter from Lowells/billed for final bill?2014

Options
NittyGritty
NittyGritty Posts: 940 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
hi out of the blue I received a debt letter from lowells,for £179 EDF sold the debt apparently (final bill) to lowells ??? From 2014!!

what the heck is this about, I moved smoothly to npower end of 2014 and paid my final bill as far as I,m aware, it was that long ago I cant say for deff, no doubt I will have to go to my bank now and get statements from 2014 at extra cost to myself to prove it

1st off can EDF/Lowells do this after all this time? or is this even allowed I mean 2014 ??? if there was an issue why leave it this long to contact me ?

any advice on what to email Lowell? in meantime if anything

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In law yes they can. They have 6 years to pursue the debt in court.

As to whether they should, that is a whole different thing. If you paid what you honestly believed to be and they stated was the final bill then under the back billing rules they should not chase it. If they did, and can reasonably prove, that they sent a final bill within a reasonable time and you ignored it then of course they can.
  • NittyGritty
    NittyGritty Posts: 940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks, I will get statements from bank on Monday, from 2014 to see if indeed it was paid and taken from account,

if there was a problem surely they could have let me know in mean time rather than years later
  • Bouncybeth
    Options
    I am in the same situation with the same company. After ringing lowells I apparently changed supplier in 2013 (I honestly don't rember) and was sent a final bill by EDF. I lived at this address until 2015 and can not remember ever receiving a final bill, correspondance or debt collection letters within that 2 years. If I didn't pay them in this time surely they would have chased outstanding debts???? I have rang them and disputed the bill after having nothing in all that time and they have sent it "to be investigated".
    Can they actually do this if they have not sent any communication in all that time???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure