PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would put you off a house...?

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Some fab replies, stuff I didn’t think about! Garden all on one level for eg. I’d not buy a house with stairs in the living room, or all open plan. Kitchen sounds and smells should stay in the kitchen, a kitchen/diner is ok if it’s big enough. These ‘dinette’ jobbies (shelves with a small stool in front of them) are not for me.
    Also I need a wee bit of a front garden, even just a few feet.
    Liechtenstein, the world's sixth smallest country, is the largest exporter of false teeth.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As long as the house is what I'm looking for - ie 3 bed, flat, detached/semi etc.

The key things are: neighbours, parking and local amenities.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Anything noisy or stinky or that spoils the view:
    Flight Paths.
    Near Neighbours.
    Electricity pylons or Wind farm in next field.
    Trunk Roads or main railways lines adjacent or very nearby.
    Sewage farm.
    Large farm with cattle court or lots of pigs. (I like livestock, just don't want to live right next door to it....)
  • Im only concerned about stuff i cant change or stuff that is hard to change. So im looking for space and type of structure each time. Privacy is also good. Obviously anything unhealthy is a no no.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 1:36PM
    Pretty much all the things that would put me off a house are to do with the neighbourhood. That is THE No. 1 priority to me in all respects:

- no chavvy neighbours if I can possibly help it (unfortunately one can't do anything about neighbours one discovers are chavvy after moving in. Duh - the state of their house should have been a clue:o)
    - no flightpaths (- I don't fly myself)
    - added "dogs that are kept outside and allowed to bark" since moving here
    - no neighbouring properties with "problem" weeds (eg Japanese Knotweed)
    - got to be on a quiet road (- I don't have a car myself)
    - level of facilities nearby to be at least adequate compared to what I'm used to (preferably high level of facilities and very preferably a really high level of facilities and all one needs for everyday purposes a walk away). Yep....that clashes head-on with the likelihood post Tony Bliar (sic) as PM of being able to keep nearby green spaces green - rather than "build/build/build ad infinitum").

Re the house itself:
    - Huge huge preference for it actually being finished in the first place - and to 21st century standards/London tastes.

But I know that goes from unlikely to extremely unlikely indeed (dependant on whereabouts one is in the country) and so I'm prepared (if I must - and through gritted teeth) to rip out absolutely everything internally (except stairs sited within a room or external door sited within a room). The kitchen must be at least passable size (preferably big).

Re the garden:
    - very very hopefully as private as it "should" be (ie totally private back garden)
    - must be relatively level
    - very very hopefully to be a proper garden. But am prepared in theory (waits for money in practice in current house:cool:) to rip up any concrete/tarmac/concrete paving stones and turn it into a proper garden.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    i dont really have anything that would be a no no apart from damp or mould. including cold mouldy windows. it would be my do's that would sway me more
    driveway (must)
    hallway (ideally)
    4 bedrooms or 3 and 2 livingrooms
    back garden that gets at least a couple of hours a day sun (ideally)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We've just bought, hopefully our last home, which has open tread stairs rising out of the dining room, no direct access to the back garden except through the house or garage, an extension which has been underpinned, and a wetroom.

None of these things were on our wish list, but location trumped everything else as it's in a pleasant market town, near the coast, with leisure centre/pool 5 mins walk away, shops restaurants 8 mins walk away, doctors 2 mins. Bus route about 100 yards away if we can no longer drive.

House is rented out at the moment, but we'll make the best of it to get it how we want it when we move.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 March 2018 at 3:06PM
    Open plan kitchen and living room
    No driveway, ok, but I can park in the street with no issues
    Close to a river
    Main road
    Leasehold
  • Becks12
    Becks12 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm house hunting at the moment so have a few!

No upstairs toilet
    Bathroom too small for a bath
    Living room too small to fit my sofa
    Photos too messy to be able to make out if the room is in good condition. ie are there holes in the walls
    Next to a prison
    Under flight path
    More than 25 mins walk to a station

I realise the first few could be fixed with some work but I have no skills, patience, or clue as to where to start!
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    We bought a house with the carpets the colour of 'a dairy milk bar' as the OP politely puts it (my dad just called them 'sh*t coloured) and haven't got rid of all of them yet!

Our house has small garden, no off-street parking, mid terrace with no back access from front, but that's pretty normal where we are, and transport, schools, overall size etc make it worth it.

The things that put us off when last looking were: tiny box for last bedroom and maybe not quite big enough overall but not extendable (these two often went together when the loft extension stairway had cut out part of the bedroom that was already smallest!). Also we looked at a few which had totally open plan downstairs, albeit sometimes with foldable partition, which my husband didn't mind so much, but I wasn't keen on. And kitchens that weren't family sized - we saw at least one place that was a family sized house with a 2-bed flat sized kitchen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure