The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Should I challenge my council?

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I live in a block of flats and my flat is band D like most of my neighbours. However some of them are on band C and I know that some of the flats in my "post code" are slightly smaller (1 bed room instead of 2 bedroom).

I used the valuation checker and the result is that I should be on band C and some of my neighbours' band should be changed as well.

So my question is do you think it is worthwhile for me to challenge?

Thanks for your advice

L

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In England and Wales CT banding is carried out by the Valuation Office Agency (an agency of HMRC) and in Scotland by the Assessor.

Valuation checkers and house price indices can at best give approximate values, at worst be completely inaccurate. So just because the checker or HPI shows Band C doesn't definitely mean Band D is incorrect.

It is up to you if you think it is worthwhile. As you give no figures for your purchase price or the HPI calculated 1991 price cannot really give an opinion.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • In England and Wales CT banding is carried out by the Valuation Office Agency (an agency of HMRC) and in Scotland by the Assessor.

Valuation checkers and house price indices can at best give approximate values, at worst be completely inaccurate. So just because the checker or HPI shows Band C doesn't definitely mean Band D is incorrect.

It is up to you if you think it is worthwhile. As you give no figures for your purchase price or the HPI calculated 1991 price cannot really give an opinion.

Thanks for the reply, a bit more info.

The house was purchased in 1997 with value of £79,000 and using the calculator on the MSE website, it gave me a value of £65,432 which is band C instead of D.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think Band D is correct. By 1997 house prices in many areas were back up to 1991 levels. I bought my house in 1998 for £78K and am also in Band D.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure