Regifting issue...

2»

Comments

• Some things she keeps and others she doesn't. She regifts wine and chocolate that people buy her as she doesn't drink and is diabetic so they are two things I would never have got her.
    I didn't know she wouldn't like toiletries because we all have to shower. I got her hand creams for Christmas as she moans about how dry her hands get but as she has basically thrown the toiletries back in face I'm assuming as this is also a toiletry set that she will reject these too. I had already got them before she gave my gift back to me, so it was too late I wasn't to know that she wouldn't want toiletries either.

I don't she was hinting anything by giving the gift back to me. I just think she has been too ignorant to even remember or appreciate what people have bought her in the past.
    I would never deliberately give people a gift I didn't think they'd want. I'm not that stupid (or rich) trust me and I try to put as much thought as possible into gifts I give. She doesn't get on with many people we work with, I'm the only person that buys her something and it's becoming clear why!

Next year I will have a big rethink!
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just a note on toiletries and hand creams. They are actually a very personal choice: one person may be able to use anything, whilst another won't. Fragrance is a very personal thing, she may really not like that particular smell. Also, ingredients are very important. Some people are very sensitive or even allergic to certain ingredients.
    I once bought some items from a brand that I particularly like, not thinking about the ingredients as they were not present in my usual buys. I was wrong. This particular product contained an allergen. More fool me for not double-checking the ingredients on every product.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Just a note on toiletries and hand creams. They are actually a very personal choice: one person may be able to use anything, whilst another won't. Fragrance is a very personal thing, she may really not like that particular smell. Also, ingredients are very important. Some people are very sensitive or even allergic to certain ingredients.
    I once bought some items from a brand that I particularly like, not thinking about the ingredients as they were not present in my usual buys. I was wrong. This particular product contained an allergen. More fool me for not double-checking the ingredients on every product.

This ^^^^ is very sensible.
    I'm very careful about what toiletry stuff I buy for people.
    I have friends with allergies (some severe) and some with expensive tastes who just wouldn't appreciate M&S, Next or Superdrug stuff.

I have bought for the above people some bee lip balm that contains only bees wax and honey (from a local company), this will be a 'extra gift in your Xmas bag' and if it doesn't suit, they can give it back to me - and will know that I won't be offended.

Why do people who don't know enough about this woman to know that she's diabetic and doesn't drink wine buy her inappropriate gifts?
    If it was me, I'd rather not have gifts at all, rather than a 'oh, this will do for x'.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know you're 99.99% sure she's re-gifted the item you got her back in October, but since you haven't opened it, I think I would do that first. Just so, I was 100% sure and didn't discover yes it was the same thing but in a different colour or fragrance.

Once you have established that, I think 2 things, she's forgotten who it was who gave her it and there's a reason why she doesn't like or can't use the gift.

If you want to carry on buying for her, I'd either go with some of the suggestions already given or 'lead her' into a conversation about her likes/dislikes to give you some ideas.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd open it, rewrap it and re-gift it right back to her.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • I had already opened it. I knew exactly what it was so opened it as soon as I got in, I just didn't mention that to her as I won't normally open presents until Christmas day. She's not sensitive to ingredients as we've talked about things like that before. I brought it up with her in a jokey way and she said 'oh sorry I found it in my cupboard and thought who can I give that too!!!'. I think I'll suggest next year that we simply don't bother.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I had already opened it. I knew exactly what it was so opened it as soon as I got in, I just didn't mention that to her as I won't normally open presents until Christmas day. She's not sensitive to ingredients as we've talked about things like that before. I brought it up with her in a jokey way and she said 'oh sorry I found it in my cupboard and thought who can I give that too!!!'. I think I'll suggest next year that we simply don't bother.
    I think you've missed a trick.

I'd have told her (not just suggested) that next year you will not be buying a Christmas present for her and will not want one in return.

This is not a special friend you're talking about here, it's a work colleague.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I had already opened it. I knew exactly what it was so opened it as soon as I got in, I just didn't mention that to her as I won't normally open presents until Christmas day. She's not sensitive to ingredients as we've talked about things like that before. I brought it up with her in a jokey way and she said 'oh sorry I found it in my cupboard and thought who can I give that too!!!'. I think I'll suggest next year that we simply don't bother.

Well I can see she meant no harm but she must have a very short memory!
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Time for a
    "I've bought a mosquito net / goat/ 20 polio injections in your name which will really help children in x country"
    or a "Let's go out for a birthday / Christmas afternoon tea / lunch/ dinner" chat......
    and tell her now, or tell her that one of yor new year resolutions is to end present buying for everyone except immediate family members.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • I re-gift some items I get, but I always put a post-it note on top of the item saying who I got it from, so it doesn't go back to the same person :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure