Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,865 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Had quite a productive day here small-things-wise. Have also registered my clubcard with Eon to get points there. Nectar is already registered with BG on my Dad's a/c (I live with him) and as we won't be using much gas between now and June I thought I'd leave it to build up points on his account;).

We will switch suppliers once we get into the house properly, but for the time being it's just simpler to leave it as it is (and get the points for the moment :D).
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• financialbliss
    financialbliss Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    themadvix wrote: »
    Forgot to add - I created FB's overpayments spreadsheet and had a play around - it's AMAZING! I can see how this will really encourage us to overpay once we're ready to do so.

Yikes - I get a mention. I do expect some graphs in due course :D

May end up lurking here for a while - bit more interesting than my thread. Currently discussing kevlar, but not bullet proof vests...:eek:

Here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=572849 if you're interested!

Financial Bliss.
    Mortgage and debt free. Building up savings...
  • themadvix
    Hi all,

I feel very honoured to be in the company of such lurkers (FB and ATT). I'd totally have paid for FB's spreadsheet - it's genius!

I have been lurking on your thread FB, all very interesting I think - if only from a sitting-on-the-sofa-glad-I-don't-have-to-commute-sort-of-way!!:rotfl: Has made me think about DF cycling to the station and getting the train though - he'd have to get rid of one of his cars then which would definitely save money (he has two, a rover for daily use and a classic mini that we will *never* get rid of (especially having spent a fortune on having it restored)).

Well not much been happening on the MSE front the last couple of days - although I did get to pop around town and collect all my freebies yesterday - Hotel Chocolat eggs, Thorntons eggs, some spicy couscous from Holland and Barrett which cost all of 15p because I used my loyalty card bonus points that Martin told us about... Needless to say, some of the chocolate has already been scoffed!:D

DF is out at a gig tonight (ticket paid for by one of our more miserly friends, so a huge bonus!!:cool:) and then I've got to be in court tomorrow morning over a car insurance claim. Not looking forward to that, especially as it was three years ago. But the claimant is (judging from her statement in which she consistenly gets her address wrong) completely bonkers (I am being *very* polite here) and I am hoping she won't show up. Still time yet for the insurance companies to get it sorted and save me the stress!:o

Right, back to work, or the bills won't get paid. Have a good MSE day everyone!

Vicky

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Just heard from solicitor and court has messed up - date is next Friday! Well, I guess I can relax now...

• themadvix
    Added £6.10 received from TCB to my shiny new emergency savings fund :) Money will go into my ISA with Nationwide (3.1% until October) once the financial year ends.

Enjoy the sunshine everyone!

Vicky

• themadvix
    Well, it was another exhausting weekend, but the living room is pretty much finished in terms of decorating now. DF has to sort the light fittings and one plug socket out (all the bits bought though) and I need to dye the curtains.

Moneysaving-wise, yesterday I went to Waitrose to order my glasses for the wedding for free. No obligation to buy any drinks from them (so I didn't!) - a really good deal. However, did buy dinner there which came to £6.89!!:eek: This did include a whole pot of gravy granules though, so they'll last a while. And I have got some mash leftover for lunch today. When I consider the value of the glass hire, I might just let them off!

Next plan for the house is the bathroom (she says, knowing full well that all the wallpaper has already magically fallen off the walls in the main bedroom!), which we measured up last night. It has a very odd wet-room thing going on, with a dubious uneven floor that slopes to the plug hole, but also has skirting board in places...hmm... it needs to go! DF needs to order his Homebase vouchers from ShopandScan (about £70) - at least that will help. And my friend has offered to buy our tiles as a wedding present, which is really lovely of her.

Have transferred another £6 (whoopee!) to the emergency fund - just round down my current account. DF won't let me make overpayments yet as we don't know where we are with spending money on house etc. Am looking forward to the 31st to see what interest we get on all the savings we've made and then spent this year - every little helps as they say!

Had a water bill this week - no meter as yet, so it was for £400!! I nearly had kittens when I opened it, especially as they wanted half by 1st April. Spoke to a lady at the water board yesterday though and she's put us on a ten-monthly payment plan, so hopefully we won't be too out of pocket by the time we get the meter fitted. Also had another success - BG had told us we'd had a service to our boiler within the last year and that they wouldn't be coming out until then. In our house documents handed over from the previous owners we didn't have a copy of the most recent service report. I rang BG to ask if they could send a copy out to us and instead we're getting a service! Result!:T Also registered my Nectar card on my account - was concerned they might see it as fraudulent if I had two BG accounts registered to one card (mine and my Dad's), but apparently not - again result! Think I will register for EnergySmart soon too to get extra points for monthly readings which I want to do anyway.

Vicky

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Vicky - I share your pain re. decorating!

We've done the master bedroom in our new place and because it's a tenement, the walls are massive! It took 10 litres of paint to give the room 2 coats (not including the gloss for the skirting board)

I will be making my 6th? trip to B&Q since moving in this evening (just over a week) and I think our total spend is about £500 (although this does include a very good cordless drill that should hopefully last 5+ years and a large floorstanding lamp with LED bulbs that cost an arm and a leg).

If you'd told me that I'd have two devices for checking voltage a week ago by now I'd have laughed at you :eek:

We're also avoiding any real OPs until the house is done up. It strikes me as a false economy to overpay a mortgage when you have significant costs still to pay (like saving when you're paying interest on debts).

How are the fish?
  • themadvix
    Ediburgher - I feel your pain too... But loving the sound of the lamp - is it one of the Pixar style ones? There was one in our B&Q ex-display reduced down to £40! Was sorely tempted!

We ended up doing three coats on our walls - I never want to see peach anaglypta again in my life!:eek: I have to say that although I wouldn't use homebase value paint for a top coat (as the white is not quite so brilliant) it was as good as their normal own brand at covering the peachiness, so that fortunately saved us some money.

The fish are fine, thanks for asking :) We have definitely got five, but as the water is still very murky, it's hard to keep track of them. Have cleared the overhanging plants ou and have put some de-greening treatment in (safe for the fish), so hopefully things will improve soon. Have never had pond fish before, so this is all new! Book has been ordered from Amazon (with survey vouchers) to teach us what we need to know.

Took friend to see house this morning and she had bought us some decorating magazines, so will enjoy flicking through those and having a laugh at their idea of a 'small kitchen'!!

Vicky

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    is it one of the Pixar style ones? There was one in our B&Q ex-display reduced down to £40! Was sorely tempted!

It's a tall chrome 'stem' with three spheres branching off. The packaging asks for SES bulbs, but they had it set up with LEDs in our local shop and I really liked the look. Only problem is that the lamp we bought is broken (the spheres have a thin wire 'halo' around them and we were unlucky).

Will change it at the end of the week for a whole one...
  • themadvix
    edited 2 April 2012 at 8:41AM
    It's been a while since I posted, mainly because there's nothing to post about!

Edinburgher, the lamp sounds cool, hope you got it sorted out.

Went to court on Friday - they found against me in terms of liability, which was very frustrating because (and I'm sure everyone says this but I have three witnesses, worth nothing in court though) I was in the right!! Nonetheless, at least I will be able to look around properly for my car insurance this year. And they didn't find wholly in the claimant's favour - she'll have to pay about £1500 out of her own pocket (a credit hire co., all very complicated), which I have to say gives me some satisfaction as she's was in the wrong.:o

Moneysaving-wise, hopefully we'll take delivery of our new-to-us fridge in the next couple of days (coming from my current neighbours). Have now established that it probably won't fit in the gap from the old one... so plans are afoot to move WM into cloakroom and put fridge in that space.... Nothing is ever simple. It's the old fridge's fault though - it was smaller than current ones (it was a bejam model, if people can remember that far back!).

Am currently washing the curtains from our newly decorated living room. Their colour doesn't go with the new decor, so once they're washed (both for cleanliness and checking they don't shrink) and I've heard back from Dylon (sending samples to see if fabric will dye), I'll turn them brown. If they won't dye then I'll stick 'em on ebay, as they're pretty good quality and fairly new.

We ran out of fish food this weekend! Whilst I was at the garden centre (I avoided the planty bit or else it would have been muchos expensivo) I bought some pondweed which will hopefully improve the water quality - it's very green. We still need to change the filters, but it was too cold on Saturday when we were there. Fish didn't seem to mind the temporary lack of food...:o

Apart from that, it's been all the usual small things. Off to JL to scan for our wedding list this evening - exciting!:j

Right, I'll try to update more frequently this week!

Vicky

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback