Airline Credit Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    hedger44 wrote: »
    I have both a Lloyds avios and a BA Amex card, every few months I send the avios from the Lloyds card, which is from the avios website, to my BA Exec account.
    This month, there was a glitch, I had a message to say that my avios account would show as the avios having been taken but that they would not go to my BA account and I needed to ring customer services asap. I did that, was assured that she could see what the problem was and that they would be reinstated within 24 hours. A week later, nothing, no avios in my account nor have they been sent to BA. I ring again.
    I am kept on hold for several minutes and then told I must email. The call centre is an 0844 no. and they have stopped you ringing in on the geographic no. available for overseas calls. I complain about having to ring twice but apparently it is not their fault that I have been given the wrong information the first time and they will not compensate me for the second call in any way. Rather they will keep me on hold for even longer so that I pay even more.
    More importantly, the reason I rang the second time was because I had tried emailing and encountered a serious problem. I have taken advice from the Information Commissioner's office and avios are likely in breach on two counts. I will not go into details but one of them is a security matter. When I had raised this matter with the call centre, initially they denied the problem despite clear evidence. They now say they will investigate but it is too late for me.
    I don't have time to deal with companies who treat me this badly.

I can echo your complaints about BA and Avios from my own recent personal experience.

What should have been a simple matter of moving Avios from a BA Executive Club account to an Avios account turned into a nightmare. I wasted hours trying to get it sorted out, and the only conclusion I could reach was that BA are deliberately trying to make it as difficult as possible for their customers, and that one of their intentions is to cause people to lose their Avios by some means or another.

Complaints (formal) to BA achieved nothing but whitewash, and a personal complaint to their CEO, Keith Williams (keith.x.williams@ba.com for what it's worth) was simply passed straight back down the line again and proved utterly pointless - they haven't even bothered to set up an Executive Complaints team as most companies do.

I now view BA as a cheapskate outfit much on a par with Ryanair - it has about as much regard for its customers as Ryanair does. Possibly less.

And the result? Far less likely to fly with BA - I now avoid it if I can and find 'airlines' that care a little more for their customers than BA does.
  • Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have been saving my airmiles on my Virgin Atlantic credit card for a trip to the Caribbean. I had intended to pay in cash and then use my miles (I have 24K presently) to upgrade to first class.

Currently, a regular return in economy is £577 for the dates I want to go, which is a good price. So I called up to find out about upgrading with my miles which is when the dropped the joke: I can only upgrade from a flexible economy ticket, not a regular economy ticket.

I went back and checked the prices:

flexible economy: £1,921.86
    first class: £2,018.86

Are they even for real??? :rotfl:What is the point of offering a rewards card which doesn't actually offer anything? To upgrade one way, I'd have to spend 22.5K miles so that means each mile is worth 0.004p. LOL.

Is this the case with all airmile cards? Is there another one I can use which is actually meaningful?

Many thanks,

TPG.
  • HELP!

I need to make of purchase of £10k. Want to use BA amex. £1 = 1.5 airmails. Charge for using card is 2.5%. is it worth it? or should i transfer from bank at no cost and not use amex but miss out on airmiles?
  • I am using BA. Just wondered whether the cost of using the card was worth the miles.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    pw123456 wrote: »
    I need to make of purchase of £10k. Want to use BA amex. £1 = 1.5 airmails. Charge for using card is 2.5%. is it worth it? or should i transfer from bank at no cost and not use amex but miss out on airmiles?

You need to work out what you are going to get for 15,000 air miles. Is it worth £250.

They're going to cost you 1.67 pence per mile, which is more than I would pay, but I'm not familiar with the BA scheme.
  • I applied and was accepted for a British Airways Amex credit card last September (via the BA website). The offer up until very recently was for a bonus of 9000 avios on spending a certain amount within three months. That condition was met but I was only given 1,000 avios .
    I queried this with Amex and they claim that a different offer was in existence at the time and they have asked me to provide proof of the different one. Naturally, the offer has since changed to 3,000 and I'm unable to find details of the old offer. I didn't think to take a screen print of the banner/link as that was the offer at the time and I stupidly assumed that it would be honoured! It was the only reason why I applied for the card!
    Any ideas on how I can persue this?
    Thanks.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mamarti wrote: »
    I applied and was accepted for a British Airways Amex credit card last September (via the BA website). The offer up until very recently was for a bonus of 9000 avios on spending a certain amount within three months. That condition was met but I was only given 1,000 avios .
    I queried this with Amex and they claim that a different offer was in existence at the time and they have asked me to provide proof of the different one. Naturally, the offer has since changed to 3,000 and I'm unable to find details of the old offer. I didn't think to take a screen print of the banner/link as that was the offer at the time and I stupidly assumed that it would be honoured! It was the only reason why I applied for the card!
    Any ideas on how I can persue this?
    Thanks.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150901062122/http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/credit-cards is an archived copy of the BA page from 1 September 2015 that shows the 9,000 offer.

https://archive.org/web/ has an archive of old versions of web pages (469 billion of them!) and is a fantastic resource for exactly this sort of enquiry....
  • Eskbanker - fabulous! Thanks for your help.:T
  • Just when I thought that common sense (and clear proof) would prevail, Amex have come back saying that the link with the offer of 9,000 avios was 'generic' and it wasn't the offer available at the time as they can 'change depending upon existing market conditions and other factors' ?! So, false advertising? Can they do this?
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does Avios points expire if you continue to accrue the points over the years? I have been getting round to thinking about airline credit cards and if it is of any use to me. I probably fly 1-2 long haul return flights per year to the Far East (South East Asia) in economy. Any benefit of saving the points at all or being subscribed to a frequent flyer programme or airline just for its points? I don't like being tied down by one points based system, because I think flexiblity is best. Keen for some advice.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport