Mortgage PPI 1984!

Hi :)
I want to check if PPI was mis-sold on a mortgage I had from 1984 to 1994. I cannot remember the name of the bank/building society. Any first steps appreciated. Or worse case, is this too old?
Thank you :(

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its extremely are to have been sold MPPI in 1984. Its right at the start of it being available and really before the banks started getting into excessive sales mode.

Most mortgages, even then, were arranged by brokers/advisers. So, did you use one? If you did, then its game over.

If you used the lender directly then you are looking at 4 years prior to financial services regulation and if it was a building society (rather than a bank), which is likely given the year (as it predates the building societies act 1986), then most building societies of that era used local IFA firms or brokers to deal with insurance at that time rather than sell their own product.

I would give up. You are talking 33 years ago. 4 years prior to financial services regulation, about the one type of PPI that sees most complaints rejected. And you dont even know if you had it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure