How intrusive is PIP after your award?

I am working but was awarded PIP for five years. How intrusive is PIP generally? Do they pester you for bank statements, spy on you and do you need to report changes of address and holidays to them?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I am working but was awarded PIP for five years. How intrusive is PIP generally? Do they pester you for bank statements, spy on you and do you need to report changes of address and holidays to them?
    Why would they ask you for bank statements? PIP isn't means tested.

If your condition has improved then yes you need to report this. Yes you obviously need to report a change of address. Holidays, well you're allowed to go on holiday when claiming benefits.

Do they know you're working? If they don't then you should tell them as this is a change of circumstances. Yes, people claim PIP and work but if that job contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP and someone reports you then there could be problems.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »

If your condition has improved then yes you need to report this. Yes you obviously need to report a change of address. Holidays, well you're allowed to go on holiday when claiming benefits.

Do they know you're working? If they don't then you should tell them as this is a change of circumstances. Yes, people claim PIP and work but if that job contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP and someone reports you then there could be problems.

Here is information about the change of circumstances that you need to report including notifying of holidays abroad.

https://www.gov.uk/pip/change-of-circumstances
  • poppy12345 wrote: »

They do know I am working and no it doesn't contridict why I am claiming.
  • pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Here is information about the change of circumstances that you need to report including notifying of holidays abroad.

I really hate that everytime I go on hoilday I'd need to tell them :(
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    pmlindyloo wrote: »

Going abroad isn't on a day trip or jolly holiday for a week/fortnight etc.

It's if you go more than 13 weeks or move.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• On the website pmlindyloo supplies, it simply says if you go abroad.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pmlindyloo wrote: »

It probably isn't as bad as you might be thinking.

It is to do with the fact that one of the requirements for PIP is that you need to be resident in the UK for 105 weeks of the previous 156 weeks.

But you only need to notify the DWP if you intend to be out of the country for more than 4 weeks.

I believe the government website says that you need to notify them if you go abroad is in case an assessment is due so that you are not out of the country during that time.

Have a read of this:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/287478/response/703747/attach/html/3/FoI%203506%203508%20reply.pdf.html
  • pmlindyloo wrote: »

It probably isn't as bad as you might be thinking.

It is to do with the fact that one of the requirements for PIP is that you need to be resident in the UK for 105 weeks of the previous 156 weeks.

But you only need to notify the DWP if you intend to be out of the country for more than 4 weeks.

I believe the government website says that you need to notify them if you go abroad is in case an assessment is due so that you are not out of the country during that time.

Interesting that suggests you can continue receving PIP abraod for a whole year as long as you return to the U.K three times (every 13 weeks).
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Salutations from Florida ;)
    In receipt of PIP too, so, no you do not have to tell anyone if you are popping away for four weeks, but anyway if you work how often do you expect you can leave the Country.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    bspm1 wrote: »
    Salutations from Florida ;)
    In receipt of PIP too, so, no you do not have to tell anyone if you are popping away for four weeks, but anyway if you work how often do you expect you can leave the Country.
    Thanks, that's exactly the reason for my comment in my post #2 "well you are allowed to go on holiday"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure