Bad credit rating, not my fault

Options
Hi Guys

I used to have a "Good/Excellent" credit rating on Experian (Fluctuated between both). Now I have had an issue when I moved utility supplier over a year ago. There was some sort of issue with the recording of meter serial numbers on the national database. Both utility companies have acknowledged the problem, and Npower, my old supplier told me not to make payments until the issue was sorted. But now, my credit rating is sitting at "Very Poor", I brought this up with Npower, and they said it would be sorted, that was over a month ago. I can see on my report, the status is "Unknown", and says "The lender has reported that you have questioned how accurate the information is", so obviously this has been brought up with them.

The whole thing is very frustrating, as I am left with this very poor rating, by no fault of my own, is there some sort of compensation for this? Or do I just have to lump it? I cannot pass any credit checks, its been like that for months now.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's not a problem. The rating is made up and can be ignored.

The Unknown status won't cause lenders any concern.

If you're having trouble apply for credit, look at the detail on all three of your files and report back. Otherwise, it may be affordability.
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not a problem. The rating is made up and can be ignored.

The Unknown status won't cause lenders any concern.

If you're having trouble apply for credit, look at the detail on all three of your files and report back. Otherwise, it may be affordability.

Ok, I didn't realise that. That's good it doesn't affect the creditors decision. It's just really frustrating seeing my credit score crash over night.... :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just tell people you have a really high score. No one will ever know and we won't tell.
  • bigmaz
    Options
    Just tell people you have a really high score. No one will ever know and we won't tell.

Haha!! So that's pretty much all it's good for....?

But i'll know its very poor :doh:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What if you change the 'p' to a 'g' and the 'r' to a 'd'?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No one sees or cares about the numbers.

Other than the people who think it actually means something, and then pays CRA's for "improvement" products that actually do nothing
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    Options
    bigmaz wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I used to have a "Good/Excellent" credit rating on Experian (Fluctuated between both). Now I have had an issue when I moved utility supplier over a year ago. There was some sort of issue with the recording of meter serial numbers on the national database. Both utility companies have acknowledged the problem, and Npower, my old supplier told me not to make payments until the issue was sorted. But now, my credit rating is sitting at "Very Poor", I brought this up with Npower, and they said it would be sorted, that was over a month ago. I can see on my report, the status is "Unknown", and says "The lender has reported that you have questioned how accurate the information is", so obviously this has been brought up with them.

The whole thing is very frustrating, as I am left with this very poor rating, by no fault of my own, is there some sort of compensation for this? Or do I just have to lump it? I cannot pass any credit checks, its been like that for months now.

Hi bigmaz

If you'd like us to look further into this for you, please send us an email to the address shown on our profile.

Thanks

Jade :-)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • bigmaz
    Options
    nPower wrote: »
    Hi bigmaz

If you'd like us to look further into this for you, please send us an email to the address shown on our profile.

Thanks

Jade :-)

Npower has put a dedicated case handler onto the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure