Reclaim council tax - shared ownership?

Hi - does anybody know how this applies to shared ownership properties? We own 40% of our house so do we value it at its full 100% to work out what our band should be or the % we owe. In case it's relevant, our local council owe the remaining 60%

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For CT banding purposes a joint ownership has no relevance, the property is valued as a single entity. As occupiers you alone are responsible for the actual CT bill.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • As mine is shared ownership I paid less than everyone else on street. If you work out the value of my house what i paid I should be a Band B but they have based it on what other 2 beds on estate paid and have classed it as Band C. Is this fair as mine will never be worth the same as it is shared ownership?
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Lincroft is correct. CT is based on the whole property, not just the % owned.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure