Speed Awareness

dannyrst
dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I was lucky enough to be caught speeding due to my own error of missing a speed limit sign before a roundabout and one of her majesties finest was sat just down the road.

Anywho. At the end of the course, I'm sure the chap said that some insurers including Aviva will actually reduce your insurance premium from going on the course because you're more aware of the impacts of speeding and less likely to reoffend (potentially).

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No because we are all perfect drivers who never speed :)

Sounds unlikely though, but with insurance you never know. I have mentioned many times that adding my accident prone sister to my clean record actually lowers my premium.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dannyrst wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to be caught speeding due to my own error of missing a speed limit sign before a roundabout and one of her majesties finest was sat just down the road.

Anywho. At the end of the course, I'm sure the chap said that some insurers including Aviva will actually reduce your insurance premium from going on the course because you're more aware of the impacts of speeding and less likely to reoffend (potentially).

Has anyone had any experience of this?
    There are companies who want to use a speed awareness course against you, as it is still an indication of a propensity to speed, whether intentional or not. On the course, they used to say it was a private matter and insurers didn't have to be informed, but you need to check your insurer's terms.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    dannyrst wrote: »

Parent's improved driving behaviour following the course lasted about a fortnight, then normal service was resumed. I'd be interested to see if there's any empirical evidence that the course has much impact at all in the longer run.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Aviva do not ask about attendance of speed awareness courses, however any insurance company in the Admiral group (Elephant, Diamond, Bell et al) do ask and load the premium accordingly.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes it brought me up short and made me take more care. I'm 71 and learned to first ride a motorbike, then drive a car, in a different era with much less traffic about. I also have more than one disability and have been fortunate to have a Motability car since 1995.

Being caught 5 years ago, and attending the course, made me realise that I had developed the habit of ignoring speed limits. I now ensure that every Motability car I choose has a cruise control and speed limiter. The only problem with sticking religiously to the limits now, is the number of idiots who flash lights and tailgate me because they want to break the limit. Most of these have a car which is less powerful than mine, but the biggest surprise is the number of older drivers who do this. And young female drivers, some with children visible in rear child seats.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    Aviva do not ask about attendance of speed awareness courses, however any insurance company in the Admiral group (Elephant, Diamond, Bell et al) do ask and load the premium accordingly.

However, there's no guarantee that Aviva or any of the others won't start asking tomorrow.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Robisere wrote: »
    Yes it brought me up short and made me take more care. I'm 71 and learned to first ride a motorbike, then drive a car, in a different era with much less traffic about. I also have more than one disability and have been fortunate to have a Motability car since 1995.

Being caught 5 years ago, and attending the course, made me realise that I had developed the habit of ignoring speed limits. I now ensure that every Motability car I choose has a cruise control and speed limiter. The only problem with sticking religiously to the limits now, is the number of idiots who flash lights and tailgate me because they want to break the limit. Most of these have a car which is less powerful than mine, but the biggest surprise is the number of older drivers who do this. And young female drivers, so
    with children visible in rear child seats.
    Isn't it strange how we suddenly feel that other speeding motorists are idiots when we were more than happy to speed our selves. just because you adhere to the speed limits doesn't give you the right to criticise others that don't.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just be aware that the moment you approach any insurer about whether or not they'll offer a discount, the fact you've attended the course will stop being part of a completely confidential record between you and the police / course providers - which insurers can't get access to - and become fair game for insurers to pass around amongst themselves on databases in the name of "fraud prevention".

If they don't ask you don't have to tell them and if they do ask you still don't have to tell them - just take your business elsewhere without saying anything.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Everyone who drives slower than me is an idiot and everyone who drives faster than me is a maniac.;)
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

They do not, however, the guy hosting the course specifically mentioned that Aviva offer incentives for people who disclose that they have been on the course. Was just wondering if anyone was aware of this and had experience of it. Fully aware that the Admiral group see it as punishable.
    Car_54 wrote: »
    However, there's no guarantee that Aviva or any of the others won't start asking tomorrow.

This is an annoying prospect for me. Insurers have no way of finding if you have been on the course. The police keep your license number on record so they can tell whether you have been on the course in the last 3 years, but again, insurers don't ask for your license number. However, lying to your insurer is fraud and would result in a void insurance policy, if they found out. Do Admiral ask if you have been on a course in the last x years? If so, how can you expect to remember the exact date you went on the course when there is no record of you going on the course on your license? All abit stupid if you ask me.
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Just be aware that the moment you approach any insurer about whether or not they'll offer a discount, the fact you've attended the course will stop being part of a completely confidential record between you and the police / course providers - which insurers can't get access to - and become fair game for insurers to pass around amongst themselves on databases in the name of "fraud prevention".

If they don't ask you don't have to tell them and if they do ask you still don't have to tell them - just take your business elsewhere without saying anything.

This is a very good point. I could have a discount now, but the tide may change and I could be punished for being on the course next year. Hadn't considered this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure