sick lines required every 8 weeks

Firstly, I dont know much about benefits. I have receive Incapacity Benefit since Nov 04 and have to go back every 8 weeks for sick lines. I have 2 ongoing issued, firstly a back problem, and secondly an unknown problem (re unexplainable and extensive tiredness) which I am undergoing tests for

Now, the tests I am waiting on will take place in September. It seems silly to go back every 8 weeks until then. The back problem has been going on for 2 years now and I dont see it getting better any time soo.

Can I be moved onto something a bit more permenant?

PS Before I received this I wasnt working or claiming anything, my husband paid my way in the world.

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How are you able to claim Incapacity Benefit if you've not worked?

To qualify for IB you need to have paid 2 years worth of continuous NI contributions immediately prior to your claim, unless this rule has recently changed, but when I claimed a couple of years ago I was turned down as I'd only been at my previous job for 18 months :(
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Lally
    Lally Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry, I meant immediately before it I wasnt working.

I worked for 7 years solid (since I graduated from Uni), but gave up work in Oct 03 after which my husband 'kept' me.

Started claiming benefit in Nov 04 as it was clear I wasnt getting better, and I felt that after all those tax paying years I should be claiming something

Got yet another 8 week sick line today.
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Sorry I have had to do this for a whole year now, but my lines are only for 4 weeks. Not sure there is anything else you can do until you get your medical, mabye somone else does.The only suggestion I have is for you to ask the doctor for longer sick lines or I just phone in for a replacement. Ironically the doc has told sociail security that I will not be back to work for at least 6 months but until my medical I still am submitting sick lines.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think the idea about regular lines is that, sometimes, problems can "go away" of their own accord or that your condition can improve. IB is structured so that you only get it for so long as your GP confirms that you are still so ill as to be prevented from working.

It's a pain, but does, I think, prevent an option to abuse the system, that some people would inevitably take advantage of.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    I sympathise with your problem. My mum had terminal cancer but her b****y doctor would only write her 2 week sick notes at a time! She had to go to the surgery, not for any kind of medical help but for stupid admin purposes. Then she'd post off the cert to the DSS by Recorded Delivery, they would "lose" the claim and cancel the benefit, she would have to stagger back to the docs for a duplicate. Every two damn weeks.

With hindsight she could have got DLA under Special Rules, I wish I'd known that at the time.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    that's awful! i'm not sure which benefit it was my grandad got but once he'd been diagnosed as terminal expected to live less than 6 months he automatically got the benefit and didn't need to keep getting sick notes. this was 8 years ago, he died shortly after becoming a great grandad, he said he'd hang on until the baby was born and he did :-) he still got his benefit even though he lived for around a year after being classified as having less than 6 months. terminally ill patients shouldn't need to keep getting sick notes, how unfair :-(
    52% tight
  • najtaek
    najtaek Posts: 42 Forumite
    Lally its is up to your GP how long to date the medical certificates. You can be given certificates for a longer duration but a point to bear in mind is that within the 1st 26 weeks of an IB claim you cannot send in a medical cerificatethat lasts longer than 26 weeks. In other words after you have been sick for 6 months you can if your GP agrees send in a MED3 for an indefinite period.
    Maybe by then though you will have been for a medical and if you get enough points then no further medical evidence will be required within this particular claim.

I am an IB training officer so if you need any more help let me know.
    if life deals you a lemon make lemonade
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport