How not to look like a self diagnosing hypocondriac?

Pthree
Pthree Posts: 470 Forumite
edited 19 March 2013 at 4:50PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I have had various health issues over the past 3 years all of which have been treated as seperate things but nothing is ever cured or even managed.

Sick and desperate of feeling quite so bad with one of my symptoms a little googling took place which took me to a list of symptoms for underactive thyroids of which I can say that I seem to have around 85%.

So what is the best way to approach this with the Dr?

I have one of those surgerys where you never seem the same Dr twice which makes building any up any kind of rapport with them hard and they also never seem to have the time to go through stuff with you (10min consults only!) and have no idea of your history.

Is it just a case of saying look I want to be tested for this?
Or is there a better way to go?

Thanks in advance.
P3

Comments

• BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why not go in and give him/her the list of symptoms, and mention that a 'friend' of your has xxx and she suggested you might have the same thing? Then wait to see what the doctor suggests....

Hope it all goes okay.
  • Just go in and tell them your symptoms and explain that your are concerned about you thyroid. Thyroid problems are quite common and they'll probably ask about your family medical history and arrange a blood test.

I did the same thing a couple of years ago and the doctor had no issue arranging the blood tests (partly because of family history). Whilst they were at it they did some tests for diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis because those also run in the family.

The tests came back negative but at least I had an answer rather than constantly worrying about it.

If you're worried about having enough time then you can specifically request a double appointment but you might be have to wait longer to get one or have an appointment at an awkward time.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Very few conditions can be cured, but many can be managed.

Think carefully about your symptoms and make a list, noting how long they have persisted and which are the most bothersome on a scale of 1-10. Then prioritise and present the most troublesome to your GP. S/he will be able to explore these further.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Humphrey10
    Humphrey10 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Just go and say 'can you test me for an under active thyroid please, because I have X Y Z symptoms'.
    Nothing wrong with going to your GP if you are worried about your health, that's what they are there for.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Don't worry about looking like a self-diagnosing hypochondriac! You know your own body best and it would be daft to worry about a particular condition and not raise it with your GP.

I felt as though I was being dismissed as a fuss bucket a couple of years ago when I presented with extreme fatigue, dizziness, balance problems and burning legs which kept giving way- GP sent me away three times in as many months saying it was probably an ear infection (burning legs caused by an ear infection??:eek:)
    I thought I had a neurological problem and eventually insisted on a referral to a neurologist. I was diagnosed with MS fairly quickly after that........Confidence in GP rather dented now.
    [
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Bennifred wrote: »
    I felt as though I was being dismissed as a fuss bucket a couple of years ago when I presented with extreme fatigue, dizziness, balance problems and burning legs which kept giving way- GP sent me away three times in as many months saying it was probably an ear infection (burning legs caused by an ear infection??:eek:)
    I thought I had a neurological problem and eventually insisted on a referral to a neurologist. I was diagnosed with MS fairly quickly after that........Confidence in GP rather dented now.

Similar thing with my OH, dismissed by his GP. We went back a couple of months later, saw my favourite GP who took him seriously and referred him to neurologist.

I agree - we know our own bodies best - book a double appt and ask for the tests. Don't be fobbed off.

I think the trend for huge surgeries where you struggle to see the same doctor on a regular basis are a backward step. They don't know you, or your history and can't hope to help you much in the allocated 10 minute appt.

Good luck.
  • robster1964
    robster1964 Posts: 259 Forumite
    Just to let you know guys... Whichever doctor you see in large practises, do know your histories! Everything that happens in your medical history is summarised, and your last few consultations are there in front of their eyes.
    Your symptoms could be a thousand things, however, unless you go private, you cannot demand things from the nhs... You can demand a 2nd opinion though and I agree, book in advance and get a double appointment. Write your symptoms down. It helps your gp gather information to help you...
    One thing I would say... Is those people who are convinced they have thyroid problems, but the blood tests don't show anything... I read in a medical mag, that they are inconsistent at best and there are other(prob costly) ways of getting accurate thyroid measurements...

Robster x
  • Just to let you know guys... Whichever doctor you see in large practises, do know your histories! Everything that happens in your medical history is summarised, and your last few consultations are there in front of their eyes.
    Your symptoms could be a thousand things, however, unless you go private, you cannot demand things from the nhs... You can demand a 2nd opinion though and I agree, book in advance and get a double appointment. Write your symptoms down. It helps your gp gather information to help you...
    One thing I would say... Is those people who are convinced they have thyroid problems, but the blood tests don't show anything... I read in a medical mag, that they are inconsistent at best and there are other(prob costly) ways of getting accurate thyroid measurements...

Robster x

I have to sy this is very true. I was dagnosed with an underactive thyroid by my GP but this was after many months and being unwell and many GP visits.

Fortunately my initial bloods showed conclusively what the problem was, but they then use future blood tests to tell you when you are well again, and on the right dose of meds, rather than on how well you feel :doh:

I ended up having to go private, but I have to say it was worth every penny.

Dont let your gp fob you off, you can request a test, but do some research yourself too so you can understand the results.

My GP now appreciates that after 7 years of researching the condition I am probably more knowledgable than him and he respects my descisions I make for my health :)
    "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" - quote from Bambi's mum :D
  • Pthree
    Pthree Posts: 470 Forumite
    Just to let you know guys... Whichever doctor you see in large practises, do know your histories! Everything that happens in your medical history is summarised, and your last few consultations are there in front of their eyes.

I have found just because its there, it doesn't mean that they read it, often I have been perscribed things I am known to be allergic to.
    thats why I asked the question in the first place I was more after advice on how to approach the subject.

I'm not convinced, I would just like it ruled out.

I have been miserable, depressed, gained weight despite constant dieting, lethargic and tired all the time yet suffer from insomnia, I cry at the slighest thing, I cant concentrate, my head is fuzzy all the time, short term memory totally shot amongst other things. My skin is dry and flakey my hair comes out in handfuls.

I just want my life back as at the moment I feel like I am going a bit crazy!
  • mishkanorman
    mishkanorman Posts: 4,155 Forumite
    Pthree wrote: »
    I have found just because its there, it doesn't mean that they read it, often I have been perscribed things I am known to be allergic to.

thats why I asked the question in the first place I was more after advice on how to approach the subject.

I'm not convinced, I would just like it ruled out.

I have been miserable, depressed, gained weight despite constant dieting, lethargic and tired all the time yet suffer from insomnia, I cry at the slighest thing, I cant concentrate, my head is fuzzy all the time, short term memory totally shot amongst other things. My skin is dry and flakey my hair comes out in handfuls.

I just want my life back as at the moment I feel like I am going a bit crazy!

Your symptoms are very similar to mine, I initially went thinking I was going through an early menopause because in addition to those you've listed I was having severe mood swings and lots of cramps at the middle and start/end of my periods. It ended up with me having half a week a month where I felt 'normal'.

I was tested for a general lump of everything, cancers, blood disorders, menopause etc and my TSH levels were found to be 'borderline' which the doctor said was totally unrelated to my symptoms. I then fell pregnant and was referred to the hospital where the consultant agreed to put me on levothyroxine. When the pregnancy ended my doctor felt that was no longer needed but I insisted that I felt better on the pills rather than off which he agreed to but with monitoring.

I still have some of the symptoms, dry skin being one that fluctuates most noticably, im still a bit fuzzy on days and make stupid mistakes where my concentration suffers.

when I looked up underactive thyroid I ticked so many of the list it was incredible, I had been to the doctors on and off for years with some of them but they are vague and some quite random (itchy ears ???) which you wouldnt think to mention !

Its worth going along and asking for a blood test to kick it all off, my father has been told he too is borderline but they wont treat him - i believe due to the fact you get free prescriptions for life and they dont want that additional burden on the local authority.

keep us updated, sadly most of these threads get pulled as its seen as medical advise, but it always helps me to compare treatment !
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family