convert garage

hi all you lovlies, any idea on how much to convert a single part integral garage into a dining room ?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

Comments

• Cristy
    Cristy Posts: 173 Forumite
    Do you want to convert it completely, or will you leave the front of the garage for storage? A complete conversion should be around £7-10k (depending on materials used and which part of the country you are), a part conversion in the region of 5k.

BTW - we're planning to part convert our attached garage in our new home, we're expecting to spend 4.5-5k tops as the previous owner was planning to do the same and has left all building materials (but was then relocated and had to move elsewhere) :)
  • robwend
    robwend Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    lucky you, thanks for that, im about £3000 short !!so kiss that off:D
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The cheap way to do it is to put a stud wall on the inside and leave the garage door on the outside.

More expensive to replace the garage door with wall and window.

To meet current building regs you should make all the walls double skin rather than the normal single skin of a garage; a lot of people don't bother.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • robwend
    but then you have no natural light?. i gotta do somthing though as the house we have brought is too small, sounds nuts and i bet your thinking"why buy a smaller house" lolwell its in a fab area and whn done up will get a return, i coudl only russle up £4000 to do sumin with the garage, is that to cheap?
  • If you can do most of the work yourself, then you'll be ok. Hubby is in the process of converting our garage :j and that's pretty much how much it's costing him.
  • robwend
    thanks van, bit concerned about conforming to building regs, though, do you or anyone know what building regs expect to be done?
  • Hubby's not a builder either, we are not worrying too much about BR as the garage is at the bottom of the garden and we do not intend to move ever again, but I know you can buy a Building Regulation book (or you could borrow it from the library).

Maybe you can post this in the DIY forum and one of the many helpful builders will be able to advise you. Good luck!
  • Weymouth_Man
    Weymouth_Man Posts: 733 Forumite
    robwend wrote:
    thanks van, bit concerned about conforming to building regs, though, do you or anyone know what building regs expect to be done?

We did a garage conversion into a dinning room 18 month’s ago cost use about £8K, contact your local council offices, they will be able to give you a garage conversion pack explaining what has to be done, damp courses etc. ;)
    ;)!!!!!!There are More Questions Than Answers!!!!!!:eek:
    :search: But I Just Don't Have Any Answers :idea:
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As solicitors are getting more fussy and HIPs are coming in next year, when you come to sell, the question will be asked have you got Building Regulation approval for what you have done? I think the main things you will have to look out for are insulation levels and any new windows. As has been said, contact the local council's Building Control Department.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The house we were looking to buy had a garage conversion that didn't comply with building regs, there was only a single skin of bricks behind the plaster. The garage door was still in place from the outside and the room had a door and window at the back.

As the conversion had been done more than 4 years ago we couldn't be forced to make any alterations, so it didn't bother us.

Practically, it would not have been viable for the vendors to make it comply with current regs. We could have asked the vendors to take out an indemnity policy but that would not have made much difference. So we ignored the problem.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure