Help with funding for Unemployed wanting to start New Business

2»

Comments

• red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    i am in worcestershire and would like help and advice on a business on the internet if anyone can help?
    :footie:
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Red Devil this thread is yonks old.

I don't think there are funds in Worcestershire or anywhere else - I tried when I set up 2 years ago and got zip.

If you are 18-25 you maybe can get help from the Princes Trust but if you are older than that then forget it, do what the rest of us have had to do and get some sub contract work to keep the business ticking over.

You could check with Business Link but doubt very much that they will have anything.

You could always have a chat with a business advisor at the Hereford & Worcester Chamber of Commerce - they give free advice nor do they steal your idea which is what you were worried about on another thread.
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    It may be a silly suggestion - but have you asked your banks business advisor? It isn't a deal of money, and if you have been solvent and responsible in the past they may be willing to consider an application as it is a small risk to them? After all, the worst they can do is say no.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2011 at 1:58AM
    SarEl wrote: »
    It may be a silly suggestion - but have you asked your banks business advisor? It isn't a deal of money, and if you have been solvent and responsible in the past they may be willing to consider an application as it is a small risk to them? After all, the worst they can do is say no.

!! Original Post Feb 2009.;)
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    jhp wrote: »
    !! Original Post Feb 2009.;)

OOPS :) I didn't notice the date!
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Thanks. I dont think it matters how old the thread is. I wanted to bring it back again instead of starting a new one.
    :footie:
  • dazzler67
    dazzler67 Posts: 5 Forumite
    New Enterprise Allowance (NEA)

On 5 October the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions announced that the Government will give extra help to unemployed people who want to start their own business, through the New Enterprise Allowance (NEA).
    NEA will be available to Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) customers who have been claiming for 26-weeks or more.
    Participants will get access to a volunteer business mentor who will provide guidance and support as they develop their business plan and through the early months of trading. Once a customer can demonstrate they have a viable business proposition with the potential for growth in the future, they will be able to access financial support. This will consist of:
    • a weekly allowance worth £1,274 over 26 weeks, paid at £65 a week for the first 13 weeks and £33 a week for a further 13 weeks, and
    • if they need start-up capital, they may also be able to access a loan up to £1,000 to help with their start-up costs.
    The total package of support could be worth up to £2,274 to each participant who starts their own business.
  • saintjammyswine
    saintjammyswine Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Depending on where you are it would be worth looking at local not for profit organisations. In Southampton there is one called West Itchen Community Trust which owns various properties and the rental income goes towards providing coaching etc for people within particular postcode areas of the city in starting businesses etc.

Speak to your local Business Link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport