Taking legal action against Amway or IBS

Comments

• I have read the foregoing entries with interest but feel I need to respond simply to balance the arguments. Sorry if it ends up being a little long.

My background is one of economics, marketing and customer service in several industries and I have been involved in the start up of a couple of small businesses too. I have been a distributor with both IBS and Amway for some 16 years, never reaching further than the lower levels; indeed I have rarely made a profit. In that time, I have also bought pretty well every tape, CD or book available as well as other tools required. I have been to every function, with a couple of exceptions, and have seen distributors come, go and stay. Above all, I have had an excellent opportunity to observe both IBS and Amway over that time and feel qualified to make the following observations. Be aware I have no other connection with these organisations and neither know I am responding in this way.

1. The IBS movement is run mostly by volunteers with a few full time staff. They are all well meaning and do an excellent job. The cost of the tools and functions makes little or no profit for IBS as can be clearly seen when set against the costs of production, hiring venues and so on. Equally, if you look at the cost of similar tools and seminars commercially available, the IBS System is incredibly cheap for what it offers.
    2. TPAOY says he or she spent £20 000 on tools. At todays prices, this equates to around 3900 CDs, 2500 books, 1100 monthly seminars or 220 major functions. I think it unlikely this is true as even I cannot get close to this in 16 years. If it is true, then TPAOY has been a little silly. At what point do you realise the business is not for you? I note you haven’t telephoned IBS directly. Email is so impersonal and get lost all the time. If you believe what you are saying, ring them. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    3. Please don’t go down the route of ‘brainwashing’. We are all free agents with our own choices. The business is made up of individuals who make their own decisions. It is possible that one person did misrepresent the business but this does not make the whole corrupt. I actually wish brainwashing could be achieved as I may have had more success as a result, The whole business promotes positive attitudes which, as previously mentioned, certainly affect your whole life in a good way. I recommend it.
    4. This is the area I have been a bit of a gumby in. The whole thing really only works if you put effort into it. It is the same with anything. There is no ethical ‘get rich quick’ scheme and the leaders in IBS will never tell you otherwise. Okay, you buy the tools and then what? Do you sit and look at them and hope you will absorb them by magic? Of course not, you need to read the books and listen to the tapes or CDs and then study them. It is like any educational course, you only get the full value by wearing them out, by committing to it. The leaders are available for mentorship, get their advice, watch how they work, get around them: it is well worth it. They do know something we all need to know. The whole thing works only if people help other people help others to succeed. Period.
    5. The products are not expensive. Sorry. The core products are generally concentrated and last for a lot longer than the competition. All are of an excellent quality and often lead the market. I have had several occasions recently when strangers have contacted me asking if I can supply them with Amway products as they ‘have lost contact with their distributor.’ There are cheaper products around but they usually do not compare with those available from the business and often cost more in the long run.
    6. Equally, I am now getting former distributors asking if they can get back in. The business is evolving and is quite different to the one of a few years ago. The Internet is partly responsible. I have to say I rarely visit shops to buy non-perishable items now.

My personal vision is that we entering a severe depression in the world economy and we need something to hold onto. The combination of IBS and the Amivo (Amway) website, never mind any personal feelings, is a potential winner. Almost any product can be fed into the distribution system making the potential enormous.

I’m sure there are other equally good distributor organisations around but IBS is the one I know.

Oh, and a couple of other points. There is no scam. The whole process is ethical and income depends on products being sold (as does any business). It is all registered with the appropriate people. There is no cult. Have you considered you may be adversely influencing people who may have benefited from this business? And I found this on a Google search.

My advice would be this: if you are approached by a distributor (now known as an IBO), take advantage of the opportunities given to research the business before you commit. If you are not given this chance or you feel it is not for you, get out. Make the decision before you sign up thus saving yourself time and money. It won’t be for everyone. If you do see you can get something out of it, commit to it totally for six months and then review the results. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Oh, and don’t worry, you won’t lose any friends if you do it correctly – you will gain some. A lot. I have.

Best wishes in all you do but don’t blame others for your mistakes. Have confidence in your abilities and judgement. Learn and move on.
  • Thank you Al Mac.

The recommended approach from the leaders of IBS is to not to promise the earth (and Amway police this quite strictly) but the business presentation is, of course, shown by people like you and me. Whenever you introduce different people into the equation you get different responses and some might get over excited and verge on misrepresentation.

The reality is, as is so often the case, that the 'they' we all accuse turns out to be us.

Oh, and the other irony. Have you heard of other groups where the chances to get to the top are limited? Yes, all corporations and governments. How many Managing Directors and Chairmen are there in each company? How many Prime Ministers? In its purest form, Amway offers any individual an equal chance to get as high as they want. Really, look at it in detail and you will realise this is so. This is why I get annoyed when people attempt to discredit it - the question should never be 'what has anyone else done with this?' but 'what can I do with this?'
  • Hi
    This is just to let you know, that both my husband and I were involved with Amway and the IBS training system between 1992 and 1995. We left the business because my husband became seriously ill and I had to take care of him.
    However, although yes we spent money for the training, we also felt it was money worth spending. Everything they teach you and if you are prepared to listen does work, within the IBS system as well as within everyday life.
    The whole point of this IBS system working alongside Amway is that you have your own customers and the profit you earn from these customers helps towards paying for all the tools and seminars.
    We both enjoyed our time within the IBS system and even now feel we made some friends. The training we learnt helps us now with our day to day living.
    I feel you ended up with a closed mind.
    Donna
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    For anyone with a mind of their own, google for the words amway and scam, and then read and make up your own minds.
  • If this is not a scam then why has it and is being investigated in Asian countries?. Recently they have been investigated in India, I also heard of another one recentl;y but i cannot remember where it was so i'm not going to make a place up but it's also been investigated in the states, its home. Says it all really.
  • Al_Mac wrote:
    And another first time poster praising ;)
    There has been along argument on this subject on either the warnings board or the vent board. I would say this is the reason new posters have suddenly found this thread, gather all ye together ;) too many people have been hurt by this company, something needs to be done:cool:
  • Sassers
    Sassers Posts: 1,303
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Robdon wrote:
    I feel you ended up with a closed mind.
    Donna

And the poor poster's also has an empty wallet. Go away !
    Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
    DEBT FREE!
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Do you think that the Scamway disciples trawl the net looking for forums that are debating Scamway and then post all innocent-like and say how wonderful Scumway is??
  • Sassers
    Sassers Posts: 1,303
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    BFG wrote:
    Do you think that the Scamway disciples trawl the net looking for forums that are debating Scamway and then post all innocent-like and say how wonderful Scumway is??

Yes BFG I do, as do many other dodgy companies I think as well. Afterall, you only have to google and find places like this don't you?
    Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
    DEBT FREE!
  • I got caught in the scamway trap. Someone then knocked some sense into me and I got out before it cost me too much money. The person who recruited me wasn't so lucky and lost a fair bit of cash.

OP - I don't think you'd have any redress, these companies are exceptionally clever at staying on the right side of the law, even if it's by the skin of their teeth.

Laura x
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure