Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,137Posts
    • 59,973Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2017 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 14
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 25th Sep 17, 11:27 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Anglea the cocktail baubles have ready made cocktails in them . There are 3 cocktails in a pack, each cocktail served out of a bauble. They're out of stock in M@rrisons at the minute, but have cashed out my vouchers ready as they were very popular last year, so I will be ready to pounce as they were a very popular present aswell!

Going thru mum2one list I think every time I use the post office now I will buy a 2nd class stamp to put away to use for Christmas cards. I do the royal mail surveys but try to keep those stamps for sending of any parcels.......saves a fortune!

Just need to choose my charity Christmas cards this year and I'm ready to go. I love at the beginning of December taking all of my Christmas parcels and cards to the post office to get them sent off
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 26th Sep 17, 1:44 PM
    • 16,137 Posts
    • 59,973 Thanks
    mum2one
    A free Xmas prezzie arrived in the post, Spider-Man dvd - freebie from sky x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 27th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Stalking M@rrisons when I get cat litter for my cocktail baubles. Still out of stock-these are the final 2 presents I need. I will get them!!!!
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 3rd Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    chanie
    happykitties Iím interested in those cocktail baubles since you mentioned them.

I should have another couple of presents sorted by the end of the week. Iíve been pestering OH for a couple of weeks now to ask his family what theyíd like and he finally started to ask them.

I know thereís the thing about taking time to choose a gift from the heart blah blah, but Iíd much rather get someone a present they want, rather than me choosing something that ends up not being used or ending up in the charity shop/bin. I do find it difficult to choose for OHs side of the family as they have such different tastes to me.

I know this is going to sound awful, but they bought DD some clothes for her birthday and I exchanged some of them as I didnít like the items. Sometimes, itís nice to get something that you wouldnít have chosen yourself, but these items I just didnít like.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £867.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 4th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    chanie I'm the same, i always like to get a present that someone wants, that's what I really love about present shopping-when I have found something that a family member will really want but have been money saving in the process. I've picked up some cracking items this year like frozen dressing up costumes that I got from Arg@s earlier in the year for £2.50, they went down a storm as presents.

The cocktail baubles are ready made cocktails, 3 baubles in a pack-2 packs for £8 in morris@ns, I still cant get them for love nor money, they are very popular and sold out when I go in. I got some last year they went down really well!! Hopefully if it is anything like last year they will have better stock levels nearer Christmas but its very frustrating, i only need the 2 packs and im finished
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    chanie
    happy kitties you’ve done really well with you bargains. I made good savings a few years ago, but it’s hader when people ask for specific items. Plus, the children of the family are asking for money and you can’t really get that cheaper.

Although I enjoy the bargain hunting, what is equally as important is being able to spread to cost, so that I can have a stress free December.

My best bargains so far;
    Wrapping paper - £1.50 down to 50p
    Xmas cards - £4.50 down to 43p
    Travel card holder - £30 down to £18
    • chanie
    • By chanie 5th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    chanie
    I bought some cheap books today for the children. I’m debating whether to hold them back until Xmas or give them now. Just as iv typed this, I’m now thinking to give them at half term which is in a few weeks time, as the time off may encourage them to read more.

I’m off to town tomorrow. This is going to be my first opportunity for ages where I get to browse without rushing. I’ve ordered a couple of click and collect items but I want to have a look for some Xmas and birthday presents.

A couple of the items I need to pick up tomorrow is for my new niece or nephew who is due in a couple of weeks. I’ve bought my sister some pjs and a satchel Changing bag and I’ve added some 3am baby essentials like teething gel and vapo rub , which are normally overlooked but invaluable at 3am when you have a baby that won’t settle. I’ll buy some bits for the baby once he/she arrives, but I want to give the stuff to my sister this weekend, so she has it ready.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    chanie
    My trip to town was successful and I managed to buy the presents I wanted to. SIL asked for a dressing gown and I bought one from Debenhams as they had 20% off. I also bought DN the shopping voucher they asked for.

That now leaves 6 to buy for. Of the 6, two are getting cash. 1 is due to be born in a few weeks. 1 has told us what they want, but we need to confirm some specifics. The other two need to confirm what they want.

We still need to buy for the children and for each other. We normally do stockings for each other to keep costs down. We know what we are getting DS. I know what I’d like to get DD, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to get it, as it’s selling out fast.

I did a quick Xmas craft today. We collected a handful of beach glass whilst on holiday but didn’t know what to do with it. I bought an empty clear bauble and filled it with the glass, so it’s now a cheap Xmas decoration.

I’m now thinking about elf action this Xmas. DD keeps referring to their tricks last year as she thought it was really funny. I think we’ll limit it to weekends though as we don’t have much time during the week.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 7th Oct 17, 12:48 AM
    • 16,137 Posts
    • 59,973 Thanks
    mum2one
    Pleased today as part 2 of miss hoodies present came 3 pandora charms (3 4 2) she’s decided to keep her bracelet as personal charms as she brought it with some money dad had left her, we’ve added libra for her star sign, elephant - she rode an elephant in via, birthday cake, she’s got angel, dog etc

Xmas planning... once Oct starts need to start getting sorted, had a tidy up of the dining room sure wool has been multiplying under the table, found some stuff put under there 9 dove sets - got from a amazon glitch ...

Food shopping... bread sauce and box of biscuits arrived in 2ngts shop, and bottle of peach schnapps... mr s has been missing me so they sent me money off vouchers for 4 weeks (£42) so we said get some alcohol for Xmas.
    Free items - going throu there was free offers, box 40 tea bags, wet sauce mix and packet curry, we’ve put them by as miss hoodies school collects for food bank at Xmas, said anything extra we can put in all helps out.

Bargain shoes
    My mum goes throu shoes like water, she’s got lymphoma- her feet are all over the place and she needs 5e super wide fit, We normally pay £70 for 1 pr of shoes if we’re lucky last 1 mth. Thought look on eBay as lots of shops have outlets, found the same pr for £17.99 postage free�� so mums brought one pr, ordered a spare for Xmas.

Fountain pen
    I have this weird thing that I only like to use fountain pens, managed to get a pack of 50 ink cartridges for 50p keep me going...

Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    So chuffed I got my Christmas vouchers yesterday-M&S and love 2 shop
    I tend to keep the love 2 shop until after Christmas for the sales but the M&S ones are a personal treat. Don't often have a splurge in the food hall as I can't afford it, but they have boxes of biscuits around this time for half price so tend to get a few of them towards birthday presents I have straight after Christmas and are handy to have if we need any thank you presents.
    Going to go next weekend when my DD is home from uni for a splurge so that she can take a few bits back with her-a particular favourite is their buttermilk pancakes

Still no sign of the Morris@ns cocktail baubles

mum2one with your mum's feet being all over the place and extra wide have the doctors or hospital not suggested having shoes from orthotics? Would save you a fortune and are specially made. I always have my shoe made by orthotics as my foot swells so much and I have no feeling so sore prevention is a necessity.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    chanie
    Still no sign of the Morris@ns cocktail baubles
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties
    How frustrating, particularly when you are so close to finishing. Hopefully, theyíll get some more in before Xmas.

I have my own Christmas frustrations:

1) the gift that we want to get DD, which I mentioned up thread, happens to be the number 1 toy of Xmas 2017. DD hasnít asked for it, but I think sheíll really like it. Itís just a shame that we may not be able to get it for her. I think the frustration stems from the fact that people buy these toys/gig tickets and flog them on eBay for higher prices. Part of me thinks itís fair game if someone takes the time and effort to queue up to get popular items to sell, but itís frustrating for genuine folk.

2) OH has asked his siblings what they want for Xmas. One has said they want a case for their tablet, but doesnít know the type of tablet they have. For example, they have said they want a case for their iPad, but doesnít know if itís an iPad, pro, mini etc. Or whether itís an older or newer version. Iíve told OH that if they donít tell me soon, Iíll just give them a voucher and they can sort it out themselves.
    The other sibling has asked for Pjs, but hasnít said what size they are. Iím tempted to take a guess and buy some M & S pjs with a gift receipt, so they can be exchanged.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 9th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    chanie how annoying for you with DDs present. I remember when my DD was much younger and I tried to get presents she wanted, in Nov/Dec it was impossible and one of the other mums at the school gate said to me that around here I would really be having to get in really early like Sept, but i didn't know what DD wanted then. Made life a guessing game. But this is something that you know that u know DD would really like.
    Myself and DD like to do Boots on Boxing Day on the way to my mum's for cold cut and chips. All part of the magic, I really hated the sales they used to have about 3 weeks after Christmas as u would really get squashed, I'm in a wheelchair but I would just get hit with baskets. I could see some people doing it for items to be put on eb@y whereas I just like to do it to save some pennies and get presents that some relatives will like for the following Christmas or a birthday if requested and the ones who were doing the same as me were the nice people who would stop to reach something for me
    It's a difficult one with OHs relatives, not a lot of information for you to go on. I think it is a good idea with the Pjs, u can't go wrong with a nice pair of M&S pjs and putting the gift receipt in does give them the option to change size. I've had to do that before now.

I might have a lead on the cocktails!!!!!!!! DD is home this weekend and we are going into the next town for our M&S shop. They also have a Morrison's there so I'm going to call in to see if they have any. Also Sainsbugs have them but not on offer-would mean paying £2 more. I haven't got a Sainsbugs near me where I live but I will be near a massive Sainsbugs in 2 weeks time so I have the option to pop in there aswell. I will get those elusive baubles before the end of October. At this rate everyone will, all have finished and I will still be waiting for the cocktails. But they do make such a nice present
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    The problem with early Christmas shopping completion is when u see things u tend to spend extra.

However as DD is now a poor starving uni student, some of the make up she likes is on a buy 1 get 1 half price offer so ordered in b@@ts to put in her stocking and should keep her going for a bit without her having to spend. Used Christmas vouchers and vouchers from RM surveys so didn't miss a penny.

Hopefully this weekend I will get the elusive cocktail baubles, will be so chuffed if I can
    • chanie
    • By chanie 12th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    chanie
    Yes, thats true about shopping early.

Fingers crossed you find the baubles. I rarely shop in Morrisons as all the other big supermarkets are closer. But I have two trips planned this weekend to two different Morrsons so I’ll keep my eye out for you.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Oct 17, 7:46 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Many thanks chanie much appreciated.
    I know they are about this year as I've seen them mentioned a couple of times in other parts of the forum.
    DD birthday is in Feb so have decided that after yesterday, anything more bought for DD will go towards her birthday.otherwise I will keep thinking one extra thing won't hurt and end up with too much for Christmas and nothing for her birthday.
    Will be nice to start getting a few bits ready for her birthday. Have decided that her main present will be money which she will prob stash in case of car problems, so if on my travels I see extra bits I'll get them now and stash away. After Christmas come Feb it's straight into a bucket load of birthdays.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 13th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    chanie
    happy kitties my local Morrison’s had about half a dozen packs of the baubles. If you get really stuck, I’d be happy to pick some up for you, but fingers crossed your trip this weekend will hit the jackpot. I did buy myself a pack whilst I was there.

Whilst out and about I found a shop that was selling the metals spray paint for £.50, which is the cheapest I’ve seen it. I mentioned in a previous post that I was trying to upcycle some small metal buckets that the children had and use them for homemade selection boxes. I’ve given the buckets another coat, so we’ll see how they turn out.
    • curly33
    • By curly33 13th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    curly33
    Not sure if it's any help to anyone but I did see the baubles in Morrisons in Reigate, Surrey a couple of days ago.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member no. 048
    SPC4 = £392.34
    SPC5= £585
    SP6 = £341
    SP7 = £110.50
    SP8 £335.00SP9 = £404.49 SP10 = £417.13
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 13th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 4,627 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Just finished extended family pressie buying and gifts for Sunday school kids (Sunday school kids I will be reimbursed for) got most of it 3 for 2 with staff double discount. Just hubby, dad and brother to go!! Plenty of time left.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I got them, i got them, I GOT THEM.......the elusive cocktail baubles

I only went in for t-bags and some cat litter and was just wheeling past and there they were. Only 4 packs on the shelf, so grabbed the 2 I needed.

Thats it Christmas shopping all done, hopefully I will wrap them tonight.

Thank you so much Chanie for offering to get the baubles for me if I couldn't get them, it really was very kind of you and very much appreciated

The plan is next week to have a wander round town to get some nice charity Christmas cards. I'm not one for having a wander, usually I'm in, get the things done I need to do then I'm back home. Going to save a couple of errands I need to do and then do them altogether.

I hope everyone is doing well with their shopping

Thank you again Chanie
    • chanie
    • By chanie 16th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy kittiesYay, I’m so glad you got them in the end. I’ve been stalking this thread waiting for an update from you. I’ll be toasting you as I drink mine over Xmas!

Silly vixen well done on your progress.

Curly thanks for the tip off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

640Posts Today

4,296Users online

Martin's Twitter