Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,149Posts
    • 12,372Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 77
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 11th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    Longevity for this Christmas, ohhhh! I wait for this from a long time.
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 11th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    Kindly give me some idea about the Christmas so that I make this successful.
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 11th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 4,299 Posts
    • 41,611 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Afternoon Christmasteers

Been to Mr T today and picked up their big bags of chocolates (Quality Street, Roses, Celebrations and the cabury mix bars) which are on 2 for £5. There is 484g in the quality street and 450g in the others so it does work out a teeny tiny bit more expensive per gram than if you buy their tins when they are on £3.50 each but with the Coeliac in the house this means we can all have things we like

Also picked up a Lego City Mobile Command Centre thing that was reduced to £22.40 (jonh lewis have it on the same price) for DD, she did ask for the Police station but its £56 and I already had one lego set already bought so we opted for this one.

Just need to order her the Star Wars Cluedo from The Entertainer which is currently on offer for £9.99 and get her a white toblerone from the poundshop and I think she's about done with her presents from us.

Bless her, DD showed me her list for Father Christmas last night and it consists of: Some colouring pens, A colouring book, some pokemon colouring cards, A maths activity book, Some school supplies, a pokemon phone case, a pencil grip (those things that help you hold the pencil properly when you learn to write) and a left handed pen (she's right handed, we have no idea on this last one ) and she hopes he will bring her a few things from her list
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £2840/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 11th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 14,415 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks for the info STOKIE, I thought it looked different to when I last used it. Well I'm definitely not paying so won't bother with the site anymore as I only used it for putting pics on here.

Does anyone know how to upload pics to the MSE forum now?
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mandco
    • By mandco 11th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    mandco
    alja hope your not in too much discomfort. If you haven't already ordered might be worth seeing if any of your superdrug items are in the buy 3 get a free gift deal and do separate orders.

speky - this year I would get some cheap & cheerful decs (poundland/home bargains)and then look for reductions on some nicer ones in the sales ready for next year. Depending on when you want to start decorating some places do offers/reductions closer to xmas if you can wait that long.

VM When they have alot of teachers its really hard to know who to buy for and the costs soon add up. Not sure if its the same in your setting but Taz used to have a keyworker all the girls took care of everyone but she would be responsible for his group time & paperwork/asssements so I used to get her a small gift then box of biscuits or similar for everyone else to share.

GTQ a xmas market within walking distance how great is that

today has been a good day for bargains popped into wilko to pick up the 12pk mason jars only to find they have been reduced to £2
    then popped into toysrus to see if they had something they didn't have it but they had lots of xmas stuff reduced I got few bits for us and then some extras to go in my donations box
    2 pks of santa hats 59p
    disney themed advent calendars(picture not choc) 46p
    disney xmas card & gift bag sets 46p
    colour your own xmas bunting 95p
    make your own olaf clay decs 46p
    xmas colouring roll 46p
    2pk candy cane themed pens with santa sticky notes 46p
    10 pk coloured card 46p
    4 pack gold star decs 25p
    glitter pompoms/pipe cleaners 46p
    honeycomb style paper bell dec 6p
    lots of other reductions too though not as cheap don't know if its all stores but worth a look if you have one nearby and your going anyway.

Primark have holidays are coming coca cola t shirts in the men's section not bad at £6 no doubt they'll end up on ebay for double that
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 11th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 25,264 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Peppa - There's one called postimages.org that you can resize for forums etc but no idea if that would work. Worth a try maybe.

Thanks Jakesmum for info about Mr T and the chocolate bags...they have been on at Mozzers for 3 for £10 - I need a trip to Mr T's anyway so will see if they have the ones I want

The gift boxes I ordered for some gift cards have arrived - they are a perfect size but am a bit undecided as they are mega glittery and I know not everyone will appreciate having glitter everywhere - might just stick to the bags I also bought
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 11th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 25,264 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Test for peppa from postimages

(The two charms I have got for myself for Christmas off my dad to remember my nan who died in August)

• mandco
    • By mandco 11th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    mandco
    Jakes Mum lol at dd its lovely when they are content with so little make the most of it as the older they are the more expensive it gets.

The other day all taz wanted for xmas was fruit pastels I'm pretty sure I can manage that one.

I forgot to say dd's advent calendar came yesterday so that is her main pressie sorted. Ok so I still think it was a lot of money for what it is even with the discount but I have to admit I was pretty impressed with the quality. the box is gorgeous and the gifts are individually boxed in the drawers so you can used the whole thing as a storage afterwards.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 11th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 14,415 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks STOKIE I'll give that a look - the charms are a good idea in memory of your Nan.

JAKESMUM our posts crossed earlier - love your DD's list, hope the big man doesn't go with the left handed pen lol.

ALJA hope you enjoyed your resting day and are feeling ok.

MANDCO Taz is so cute and fruit pastels are a good choice Looks like you got some good bargains today.

KPWLL I feel for you with being in upheaval, we've only moved the kitchen and done up the room it used to be in and it meant clutter in every room so yours must be much worse. We're almost done now though and at least I've got my Christmas cupboard to keep me sane.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 25,264 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Just bought a gift card for a birthday when I finished work and used my staff discount for some mugs I picked up and it took it off the gift cards too which it shouldn't so went back and got some of my Christmas ones before they realise
    • elliew8
    • By elliew8 12th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    elliew8
    Wow the thread is really getting busy now, took some time catching up and may have missed a few in haste! Only 11 Fridays to go now J
    Welcome newbies, we’re a bunch of Christmas crazies so you’ll fit it perfectly
    Sammy I can’t believe your sister in law is getting in debt over Christmas, it takes the joy out of it surely? Seems like you’ve got lots of presents done now, you’re inspiring me! Glad Nicky is fitting in J thanks for the heads up on Morrisons
    Snorkypants and Treasurequeen cats and Christmas trees can be a bad combination! My cat never went near the tree then 2 years ago took a fancy to it. Managed to stop her by spraying her with a bit of water when she went near it – in hindsight pretty stupid next to electric fairy lights!!! Only had to do it once though
    Peppa I’ll keep an eye out for discount codes. Would love to see pictures of the Christmas market stalls! Yoga is great to get into, I go at least once a week because really gives me a nice ache afterwards so I know it’s working but makes me feel very chilled out as well
    Free glad you had a nice birthday, jealous about your afternoon tea.
    Girlinayellowdress hope things get going with the house move, if not enjoy the gin J
    Princesskitty I love it when the garden centres do their Christmas section, ours is great so will have to try and go soon. I NEED TO GO TO THE RANGE! I’m reaching new levels of desperation hearing about everyone going! I like the sound of a tinsel scarf to feel more festive lol
    Mandco sorry I haven’t heard of a pet parcel but I’m considering it now I know there’s a Christmas themed one
    Nic those games are great, we had a Christmas pud one last year and it went down well with the grandparents and kids
    Whitesatin Chamonix sounds lovely, I went to Samoens at the beginning of the year and they still had their Christmas decorations up so can imagine it will be lovely and festive there
    Sashanut I’d definitely recommend Berlin for Christmas markets, there were so many it was brilliant
    Alja hope your procedure went well, the M&S sale is on! MSE does a Christmas deals predictor, don’t think they’ve updated it yet for this year but worth a look

Nothing particularly Christmassy to report yet, waiting for discount codes before I purchase all of the online baskets, hopefully will get most done by end of October and the rest before December. We've got lots of festive plans this year so I'm looking forward to Halloween being out of the way. Had a lovely weekend in the sticks with our friends last weekend, did Friday-Monday in a 6 bed house with an indoor heated pool, was brilliant! Although I've realised that was my last day off work until Centreparcs in December I'm looking forward to the clocks going back so the days feel a bit shorter. Always feel like I'm wishing my life away this time of year just waiting for Christmas!
    I'm dreaming... of a white Christmas
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 12th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    I decided to go for a walk for Squeak’s nap this morning as I need to get some exercise and I couldn’t resist popping into the charity shop, which is fine except that I bought two more Christmas books! I got ‘Mistletoe Mansion’ by Samantha Tonge and ‘Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market’ by Heidi Swain. This is to add to the one I’m already reading on Kindle and the other two paperbacks I have on my bookshelf! For some reason I’m incapable of leaving Christmas books behind!
    This is perfect for me bcz an exercise is very need-able to me.
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 12th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    Nothing particularly Christmassy to report yet, waiting for discount codes before I purchase all of the online baskets, hopefully will get most done by end of October and the rest before December.
    I wait for the report and the online purchase discount in this Christmas.
    Thanks
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 12th Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 14,825 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Well, taking a few sneaky minutes as I am Billy at work at the moment!

Free - hope you had a great birthday

Vulpix - well done on wrapping, must go to Dunelm to get the Coca Cola snow globe as my mums silly gift for this year, she will love it!

Newbies - Welcome to the house of fun

GYD - Hope all going well for you.

Speky - I would buy el cheapo for this Christmas and avail of the bargains afterwards. I want to get a tree, but keep missing out

Clumsy - Nothing like a magical mystery tour around a hospital!

Mandco - Must nip in after work and get some of those tee shirts.

Life gone a bit hectic at moment. Think I have sorted out getting the flat, just need to go through the bureaucracy involved.

Want to sell my sofas as I have ordered new ones, they are in perfect condition but because I need more neck support, needed to invest. Then had the problem about when to sell them as I will need someplace to park my bum before the new ones arrive in middle November. Hit on genius plan, order a futon which can then go in the spare room, serve as someplace to sit, but then convert to bed if room is needed. Typical of my luck, the one I wanted was out of stock, so had to wait until this week to order it. Hopefully, the cost of it (£340) will be covered by the sale of the sofas with a bit extra which can go into the flat refurb pot!

Had the big boys out for the squatters last week, I truly hope that this will be the end of it, He found access points which I have now filled in with steel wool. Have arranged for cleaners to come in on Saturday to do a deep clean, cost not bad, they had estimated 2 1/2 hours to bathroom & kitchen for £56. It should mean that I can put my piece of modern art away finally (this is what my brother called all the cleaning stuff lined up nicely in the hall!) Think I will avail of this time to wrap as I will be fairly restricted in what I can do, w/m will be on & drier, but there is no point in doing anything else until they go. It will also give me a chance to work out where I am on what to buy, although I have bought all my cards and the Christmas money wallets.

Better do some paid work now!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 12th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 3,245 Thanks
    kpwll
    Afternoon all, hope you're all having a good day.

Not so much a bargain (but imo reasonable) picked up the grandsons advent calendars today in Tescos. They were either Celebration or Heroes (have put them away and can't remember lol) at £3.00 each.
    Compared to the Cadbury and ordinary size ones at £2.00 each, I thought they were a bit different.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 12th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 5,612 Posts
    • 16,090 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    The wedding went reasonably well only a few hiccups with the hotel got there and they said I hadn't paid they said the booing was made June 2nd , I was having a heart attack cos I couldn't find the transaction on my banking so I downloaded all my statements since January and found it on February 23rd . It would have been nice if they had apologised but apparently that was too much effort .

The other main issue was just at the end of the meal a waiter started crooning just behind us and it was so loud it did couldn't cope and ran off in tears with her hands covering her ears . She spent the rest of the evening in her the room. But at least now it's done and dusted.

Christmas wise we took the opportunity to deliver my parents gifts and all my sides cards .
    Most of the Christmas gifts for Oh and add are bought only a gift card and her iPod nearer the time .
    • alja
    • By alja 12th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 7,281 Thanks
    alja
    mandco & peppapig - thank you, I'm feeling much better than expected (had something else done in relation to it 2 months ago and was in worse pain then) still got to rest and not do anything too strenuous for the next few weeks.

elliew8 - thank you! I'd completely forgotten about the predictor they have, I will keep an eye on that

Finally made my superdrug order this evening, so that's a few more pressies on the way. They have a lot of better than half price deals on their own brand beauty at the moment, so that was so helpful.

I'm hoping to go shopping on Saturday morning, so I'm going to write a little list of things to buy for then. Probably bits for OH's mum's foodie hamper
    • murie
    • By murie 13th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 8,781 Thanks
    murie
    Allja- glad you are on the road to recovery now.
    Jakes mum- I had to smile at the request for a left handed pencil.
    VM- Im with the team gift suggestions too.
    Speky- poundland did some very pretty large (ish) individual vintage glass baubles last year, they also had packs of 9 smaller glass ones for 'in fill' on a large tree. You could glitter them up etc.
    GYD- hope all is now on track for a pre Christmas move. Thanks for the info about the hairdryer, she still hasn't decided if she wants it or not.
    Chrissy- I would have had a heart attack too! Its a shame the day ended badly for her tho xx.
    GTQ- fingers crossed that you have seen the back of the visitors and that the flat purchase goes smoothly. DH calls his mountains of stuff modern art too- I call it something else entirely but I'm too much of a lady to say!!!
    Clumsy- DD always keeps her bra on when she has hers too.
    Kpwll- I have bought one of those Heroes advent calendars- they are huge in comparison aren't they?

Welcome Newbies!

I ordered some make up that DD has asked for from Space NK which came yesterday but it looks as if it has been swiped (its a highlighter trio pallet), after what became a fairly heated discussion with customer services (" there is no way it could have been used its sent straight from the manufacturer" - no way cus they are in the US and it arrived within 3 day or ordering it with a UK postmark), only after I sent a photo did she reluctantly agree to send me a new one out today (so much for coming straight form the manufacturer!!). Then in a casual conversation with DD I find out that I have ordered the WRONG thing- she wanted bronzer! Im a bit mad with myself but seriously not amused about Space NK. It was £60 so I don't think its unreasonable to expect an unblemished (not to say unused) item. Grr- it makes my blood boil!

Has anyone seen that Asda are doing a cheese advent calendar? This is ideal for DH as he must have been a mouse in a previous life cus he loves cheese. Its £9.99 and apparently goes on sale on 6th November.

I bought some acrylic stag LED fairy lights from The Range for £5.99. they are lovely but I saw them in Home Bargains earlier in the week for £3.99 so I might go and get some more from there. They are quite big at around 10 cm each stag and I thought they would look nice on the shelf in some greenery.
    lovin' this site!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 13,232 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I think buying cheap and cheerful (literally) is my best option for decorations for this year. My mum told me she bought a bauble for £3 from JL. For 1!!!. £3!!!!

That's the MSE in me flipping out.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for some bargains. Red and white is going to be my theme.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 13th Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 25,264 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Speky we bought some from Primark last night. A pack of 50 for £6 - our set has red, white and green in but there are a few others colour sets too. Then we also got a set of smaller ones in the same colours they were 2.50 for 20 or 25 I think
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin