Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,149Posts
    • 12,372Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 2
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 26th Dec 16, 10:26 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    I hope you've all had an amazing 2016 Christmas I'm joining this thread for 2017, I'm determined to be more organised for next Christmas, as much as this year was nice it just hasn't felt like Christmas at all and has been over way too quickly. Not helped by being our first year in a new home where we haven't even finished decorating and unpacking yet, next year it will be magical.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 26th Dec 16, 11:20 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 12,372 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread Fosterdog!

I'm looking for a new Christmas sack for all my presents as the one I had for years has now given up!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

• crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 26th Dec 16, 12:09 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Can I join in for next year? Been reading the 16 thread for a while and thought I'd wait for a fresh start and new year to join in.
    Stressful Christmas, so unwinding and doing nothing today. Hoping everyone had a good one and is having fun hitting the sales and getting a head start for next year. I've got a good few presents, cards, paper, bags, crackers and a few other bits to start restocking.
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 26th Dec 16, 12:19 PM
    • 15,293 Posts
    • 195,639 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all, having a lazy day here
    Yesterday was brill
    I am now the proud owner of a beautiful big snowglobe it's battery operated so the golden flakes constantly flutter and swirl Aron game the illuminated golden deer that stands inside the globe- it is beyond beautiful and I've wanted a snowglobe for so long.

The children all clubbed together and totally surprised us with tickets to see kiss next year.

Ds1 loved his ticket box I made him, in fact all the gifts were well recieved. Dinner ended up being for 12 with two extra arriving for tea so a lovely busy day, chilling today.

Next year I plan to be moe organised, start making stuff earlier and be more mindful of what I gift do I not just filling people's homes with stuff.

Have a lovely week everyone.
    grocery challenge August budget £400 spent £
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,700o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on the Kings curse
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 26th Dec 16, 12:25 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 12,372 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread Crazy-Cat-Lady! Hoping that you manage to find a few bargains to replenish the stocks!

Was looking at these as a possible replacement for my Christmas sack - http://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?q=Christmas+sacks

Has anyone seen these in B&M's to advise on the quality and size etc?

• Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 26th Dec 16, 1:00 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 14,374 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome to the thread FOSTERDOG and CRAZYCATLADY.

CHRISSY belated happy birthday, glad you had a good day.

Had a lovely day yesterday. Was lovely having DGD here in the run up to the big day so we could share her excitement. Quiet day today, I'm not even out of my pyjamas yet and may not be all day lol. DGD has gone to her dad's and DD is leaving for home shortly so will try and chill later. I'm fighting the urge to take the Christmas decs down at the mo - feeling the need for clear surfaces and open spaces

Very sad about George Michael, 53 is no age. I can't remember another year when we've lost so many people from the entertainment industry. RIP George.
    Last edited by Peppapig; 26-12-2016 at 4:56 PM.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 26th Dec 16, 3:01 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 7,713 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    Hope everyone has has a good time
    Id like to try and join in if thats ok i enjoy reading everyones ideas
    Im hoping to dowsize to 1 bed place so need to be very organised and although i used to think i was fairly good i seem to be struggling atm hoping to pick up lots of tips and ideas
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 26th Dec 16, 3:27 PM
    • 15,293 Posts
    • 195,639 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Welcome muffin man
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 26th Dec 16, 7:16 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 16,541 Thanks
    nic2075
    Evening, hope you all had a lovely christmas? I did post yesterday morning. But in the old thread and have only just managed to read back. I did wonder why it was quiet lol.

Thanks 3forhilidays for setting up the new thread. I always look forward to a new thread.

I had a really nice day with the family. Today has been bliss. Ive done nothing. We had leftover xmas dinner for lunch then a freezer buffer for tea. With paper plates, so no washing up :-) .

The Kids have played with their toys and are over the moon with what they got. Everybody is happy.

My plan for the week is to do very little. Ive been ill since October. So I plan to try and recouperate before heading back to work on the 9th. I do have some xmas vouchers to spend, so that will be the most I'll be doing. Maybe take the kids ice skating and some nice walks for fresh air.

One thing that let me down was underestimating how long it would take to build a table football game I got for them to share. I always sit down on Christmas Eve with a couple glasses of Prosecco and watch It's a wonderful life. I just love it. I started building at 8:30pm and was still at it at 12:30 am :-( so no wine crossed my lips and no film. I might watch it tonight, but its not Christmas eve, so it will mess with my karma lol.
    Don't think I can go all xmas season without no watching it though. I spend all November just watching the cheesy hallmark type films, then save Elf, the Santa Claus etc for dec. then xmas eve is for Santa Claus the movie, The polar express then it's a wonderful life.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 26th Dec 16, 11:03 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 12,372 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread Muffin Man 7! Hoping that you will get some useful tips.

• black cat
    • By black cat 27th Dec 16, 1:51 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 5,913 Thanks
    black cat
    Please can I join in? I've recently got the crafting bug and have built up quite a stash already. I'm looking forward to making gifts and decorations all year. Have managed to find some great bargains in the Sainsbury's sale - wash tape for 15 - 30p, cards for 25p and stickers for 25p. I also found some great craft paper in Poundland. Just need to get organised...
    3 Month Emergency Fund £6000 #21 £6000 - achieved!
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 #21 £300 MFW Diary January 2016
    • murie
    • By murie 27th Dec 16, 8:01 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 8,780 Thanks
    murie
    Welcome Muffin man and Black cat, foster dog and crazy cat lady- all Christmas fanatics welcome here!
    Mrs moneypenny- your snow globe sounds beautiful- Im jealous.

Nic- rest and recuperate is the order of the day!

Peppa- did you manage to stay in your pjs?

3forholidays- thse sacks look good.

Im having a quiet day today- shattered after the hectic last 3 days! I have taken down the Christmas cards so the walls are looking a bit bare but I want to start removing the Christmas clutter - much as I love it it becomes a bit 'messy; after nearly a month!
    lovin' this site!
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 27th Dec 16, 8:08 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Merry Christmas everyone. Hoping to be less of a lurker and more of a joiner in-er this year.

Hope everyone enjoyed their big day and looking forward to preparing for Christmas 2017!
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 27th Dec 16, 9:06 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 12,372 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread black cat & squishylove1989

• crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 27th Dec 16, 9:08 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Totally unfestive of me, but the tree is coming down today or tomorrow. I always put it up the last few days of November but take it down early. As much as I adore Christmas and work on it/get giddy about it from mid way through the year, when it's done it's done. I want my rooms back.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 27th Dec 16, 9:42 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 16,541 Thanks
    nic2075
    Totally unfestive of me, but the tree is coming down today or tomorrow. I always put it up the last few days of November but take it down early. As much as I adore Christmas and work on it/get giddy about it from mid way through the year, when it's done it's done. I want my rooms back.
    Originally posted by crazy-cat-lady

I put mine up the last week of November too. I feel by the time it comes to take it down im satisfied it's been up long enough lol. But I do like it up for Hogmanay and the 1st. I'm happy to take it all down after that. I must admit I do want to have a good dust and have it clear for the new year. I can't have it both ways lol.
    I think I'll need to go and buy another big box as I bought a few more decorations this year.

Well I really did do nothing yesterday. It felt weird as I always have something to clean or do. But it was lovely. I might do similar today. I will cook a nice healthy meal tonight. Fed up of Turkey, filo prawns and cheese. We usually have another buffet on New Years eve and then steak pie on New Years day. I plan a dry jan and hope to shift a few pounds using my new fitness tracker.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 27th Dec 16, 9:52 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 14,728 Thanks
    vulpix
    Good Morning,Welcome to all you new Christmas crazies.

3, I have seen those sacks in the shop but didn't actually pick them up iyswim but they did look nice.

A very nice Christmas day was had at chez Vulpix.Thank goodness I had been organised beforehand as I just ran out of steam so my daughters sorted lunch.DD2's "best" present is the Elmo rucksac!
    I had beautiful gifts,the most of which I bought on behalf of Mr V!

Yesterday we went to a pub for a meal with Mr V's Mum,then dropped DD2 off at her Mum's relatives and then to the pub with our newly single friend.I did manage to fit in a couple of sprints round some shops on the way,as there are no shops where I live.

Picked up some toiletry things for DD2's school friend gifts,Christmas cards and a Christmas pudding for my Mum.Mum's birthday is 6th January so she always gets next years Christmas cards ,Christmas pudding and Christmas cake from the sales.Also got some Christmas decorations for DD1's birthday which is 8th February.Nowt like giving gifts which people want.

We went to DD1's on Christmas Eve and met her boyfriends parents and brother and sister.It was lovely.Glad to see DD1 will be a Christmasite in her home and has taken after me.

I am still in bed,must have slept 11 hours and feel much better for it. I still have a cough which is exhausting.

When Mr V comes home from work we are off to look for a new kitchen sink in the sales.I know,I know,I know the one we have is new but I dont like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not taking my decs down yet as I feel like I haven't had enough of them yet.I think my brother and family are coming on New Years day so will leave them till after then.

Laters Vx
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 27th Dec 16, 10:07 AM
    • 15,293 Posts
    • 195,639 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Hope everyone is well and enjoying their Christmases
    Our tree usually stays up till new year, I take it down once Dh has gone back to work and before I do, it will be down by 12th night but not Much before then.

Murie I'll try and post a photo of my snow globe
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • FeistyFidget
    • By FeistyFidget 27th Dec 16, 10:47 AM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    FeistyFidget
    Oh my goodness I have missed you all!

It's been over a month since I last posted and I am gutted that for the first time in over 3 years I wasn't about to celebrate the run up to Christmas with you all

You may remember I said about buying a wooden advent calendar and filling it with a piece of paper with a Christmas activity on it? Well we did it for little My's Christmas and it has been thoroughly enjoyed! If anyone wishes to have a nosy at our antics, I did a daily social media photo on Instagram here:
    https://www.instagram.com/feistyfidget/

The bad news is I was so ill prepared financially and with presents bought that it turned in to a huge stress I've decided that this year all adults will be given handmade gifts as we are on a fixed income and ended up buying just because we felt obliged as people were buying for us or buying with little thought just to get the recipient ticked off
    I will start a plan and scour pinterest for some nice looking homemade gifts to give!

Here's to 2017!
    Officially Debt Free (Besides Mortgage) - Since 14/09/2014

2015 Challenges
    Stop making life harder for myself. Stop aiming for perfection, it doesn't exist. Enjoy the little things
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 27th Dec 16, 10:57 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 14,374 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome BLACKCAT and SQUISHYLOVE.

CRAZYCATLADY I'm taking the decs down today - I love the build up to Christmas but once it's done I just want everything down and out if the way. We don't really celebrate new year although we'll see it in and watch the fireworks on the tv, so having decs up for new year doesn't matter to me. I do admire those people who can keep them til 12th night though, I managed it one year but not before or since. I might keep the tree up longer, possibly because taking it all down isn't going to be a five minute job.

MURIE I kept my pjs on til mid afternoon then swapped to a soft and fluffy leisure track suit thing. It isn't very flattering but is very comfy. Has your tree survived Bailey?

VULPIX good luck with your sink search!

FEISTY lovely to have you back. Don't beat yourself up, you and DH have had an eventful year and to have done all the Christmas activities in December is no mean feat. I can't believe how quickly the first few weeks of December rushed by, one minute there was plenty of time to go and the next it was only a few days til Christmas.

I don't have any plans for today but would like to get out for a walk or something, just for some fresh air to liven me up a bit. I've got really lazy and need to move more!
    Last edited by Peppapig; 27-12-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,355Users online

Martin's Twitter