PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Measuring Up

Options

Comments

• Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    We visited for an additional viewing and measuring
    before exchange as the owners were moving hundreds of miles away that weekend. It was handy for us as exchange and completion were 2 days apart in the end.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why can't it be taken at face value and they really just want to measure up?

We measured up prior to exchange so that we knew if we needed to buy curtains or if any of our existing ones would fit.
    We had to do this BEFORE completing the fixtures and fittings form so was well before exchange.

As it happened, the vendor said on her F&F form she was leaving all her curtains so we left ours for our buyer. When we moved in she had taken the living room ones so we had to make do with sheets and blankets up at the windows for a bit! :o
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    What's the point in measuring up before you exchange?

In case your bubblegum pink double-fronted American-style fridge won't fit in the kitchen?

If that really would be a deal-breaker then you'd want to know before you offered.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They are looking for excuses to bail, without mentioning price, IMO.
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    Cheers Crashy, I was doing okay until your response but I'll just have a sleepless night.
    Great.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Exactly, so no point measuring before exchange because you can't order.

I can understand if you are looking at exchanging and completing very close to each other. But measuring before exchanging to me means "I want to make sure I am happy with my purchase", not "I need to take measurements before I move" because as you say, you won't order before you exchange anyway.

Let's say:

Exchange - Friday 18 August
    Completion - Friday 1 Sept (2 weeks later)
    Buyer - "Can I come and measure up on Sat 26 or Sun 27 please now that we've exchanged"
    Seller - "Sorry we're away this weekend"

So nothing gets measured until you complete and move in. My main point is that a lot of things take a while to come once ordered. You also might choose to specify a delivery date. So if you need measurements to order something, view before exchange so you can literally order just after exchange as you may not be able to see the property again before completion once you've exchanged.
    Cheers Crashy, I was doing okay until your response but I'll just have a sleepless night.
    Great.

gws - try not to worry - read a few of C's other posts and the subsequent replies to get the gist...

xx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great.
    I don't think we're here just to massage anyone's feelings. Crashy isn't for sure!

In my experience, I'd say that there's no way one can possibly know what's in a potential buyer's mind. I say that having had the sale of my last house fall through 3 times, so I have a little experience.

OK, it was an exceptionally hard time in which to be selling, but that aside, I just could not read their minds.

If it's any consolation, the people who did buy the house looked considerably less excited than any of the others. :)
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great.

Best to ignore any of Crashy's "advice".

If someone offered £100,000 on Buckingham Palace he'd say you were offering too much and it's only worth the loose change and the piece of chewing gum in your coat pocket!
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • double_chocolate
    Options
    Myself and my partner went to our sellers last week to measure up windows for curtains (we haven't exchanged yet but are very close). And we were just really excited to see the house we're buying. The nice thing is is that you get to be in it longer than the 10 mins you get walking around with an estate agent (not like it's the biggest purchase of your life or anything) and it gives you a chance to ask things that the estate agent couldn't answer, ie what are the neighbours like etc. I think it's a completely positive thing and it gives you more of a relationship with the sellers too which in our view makes us less worried that there would be any need for them to pull out of the sale that we so desperately want. So be positive about it ��
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Best to ignore any of Crashy's "advice".

If someone offered £100,000 on Buckingham Palace he'd say you were offering too much and it's only worth the loose change and the piece of chewing gum in your coat pocket!

That joke wasn`t particularly funny the first time IMO, we are talking about AVERAGE properties, not Buckingham Palace. Of course they probably thought prime sites could never lose their "value" in Japan in the early 90`s as well?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure