Business Mobile

I work through a small limited company. My accountant has suggested I get my mobile phone and contract through the company. However when I go to a phone company such as EE or Carphone Warehouse, they both want to have the contract ultimately in my name (for credit check purposes) with the company mentioned. I'm not sure that works for the tax/VAT benefit, Also the tariff quoted is significantly higher so that wipes out the benefit. Other suppliers e.g. Tesco Mobile told me they don't do business contracts. For bigger companies with a number of phones, there are deals about, but does anyone have a competitive business mobile phone contract for a very small company?

Comments

• WhyNot?
    WhyNot? Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Parnell wrote: »
    I work through a small limited company. My accountant has suggested I get my mobile phone and contract through the company. However when I go to a phone company such as EE or Carphone Warehouse, they both want to have the contract ultimately in my name (for credit check purposes) with the company mentioned. I'm not sure that works for the tax/VAT benefit, Also the tariff quoted is significantly higher so that wipes out the benefit. Other suppliers e.g. Tesco Mobile told me they don't do business contracts. For bigger companies with a number of phones, there are deals about, but does anyone have a competitive business mobile phone contract for a very small company?

Sorry, I've no idea.

Perhaps the accountant who made this suggestion originally could assist you further?
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    our accountant has always advised the same for our Ltd Co., mobile contracts in business name & the bill is paid for in full by the company, no faffing about with personal/business calls breakdown, any new phone costs are allowable expenses (company will own the phones though) & no implications for tax/benefit in kind etc.

guidance info here, contractor set up as a ltd co. & similar query on UKbusinessforum

However, as stated, business 'deals' are few & far between & nearly all personal contracts will be much cheaper. we did use a broker for a few years but he ended up not really listening to our needs & just pushing the handsets/contracts he was obviously getting most commission on. I just go direct to the providers now, it isn't any more expensive than the broker.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    A guy at t-mo signed me personally up for a second contract, then changed the name on the contract to my limited company. It's been fine for a good 5 years
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    The mobile contract should be in the business's name and paid by the business. Phone costs are seen as allowable expenses and can be deducted by the business. However, it seems that the business wants you to sign a personal contract as there are cheaper and better deals for such contracts opposed to business deals.
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I use a firm in Alfreton for my business mobiles, he does some great tariffs also have a look at Gradwell which can hook up into your phone system, its great for taking company calls on your handset.

However, even I have a personal mobile as I was told there were tax implications.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My OH managed to set up an a/c for his small ltd co business recently with O2.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• dshart
    dshart Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Are you trying to set this up with the business side of EE, I ask as I recently changed my mobule phone business account from O2 to EE and had no issues with them requiring the contract in my name.

I just phoned the small business number given on their website. The setup of the account was not an issue, but the service I received from EE was diabolical. Firstly they sent out the wrong phones, then I had a big argument with them regarding them picking up the phones and replacing them with the right phones, then I found I was charged for both sets of phones and they would not refund until they had received the other phones back, then I found they were charging airtime on all the phones from the day I placed the order even though the phones had not been used and the numbers not ported over from O2. They sent an invoice for these amounts and I phoned up and they eventually put the invoice on hold only for them to send a letter a few days later threatening to send the debt to a debt collection agency. They would not send a corrected invoice but rather they said they would apply credit to the account. They got themselves so mixed up that in the end I didnt pay anything for the first month and a half of having the contract.

But anyway try phoning the business section of whatever company you decide to go with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure