Ramsdens for cash

Just had an email -they appear to have had an IT breach -possibility that personal data of travel money customers has been released.
They include name,address,email address, phone number and d.o.b on the list plus hashed site password but apparently not payment details.:eek:

Comments

• antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well,that's the last time i buy my chips there.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Harry will be turning in his grave!
  • Jonmenzies
    Jonmenzies Posts: 48 Forumite
    I really don't think it's appropriate to be making jokes about a serious thing.
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jonmenzies wrote: »
    I really don't think it's appropriate to be making jokes about a serious thing.

Sadly the internet is not for you.

The post was taken in jest as the op had provided very little detail and as most people only know Ramsdens as chip shop that is where the humour went.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

The post was taken in jest as the op had provided very little detail and as most people only know Ramsdens as chip shop that is where the humour went.

Sorry - thought Ramsdens ( a High Street jewellery reseller) would be well known to savvy travellers as, for several years ,they offered the best high street exchange rates for euros/$$ ,outdoing the likes of Tesco, M & S AND all the banks.
    I haven't used them for over a year as the rates have not been as advantageous.
    Obviously not a major leak of data as I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere and haven't had any follow up emails.
    I appreciated the humour - but I thought Harry Ramsdens ( the chip shop) went bust several years ago.:)
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Sorry - thought Ramsdens ( a High Street jewellery reseller) would be well known to savvy travellers

Savvy travellers rarely, if ever, change cash on the high street...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Just had an email -they appear to have had an IT breach -possibility that personal data of travel money customers has been released.
    They include name,address,email address, phone number and d.o.b on the list plus hashed site password but apparently not payment details.:eek:
    I had a call from my UK bank a year ago to advise that a fraudulent transaction had been attempted on my cashcard, and been declined. The following day, I was given the details of the fraud attempt, and it was someone buying currency through Ramsdens. I made a couple of calls to Ramsdens, which resulted in them clsing down the account of the person who'd made the attempt, but despite repeated requests from my bank, they declined to give further information regarding the fraud.

Nice people at Ramsdens, but their security is diabolical.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    benjus wrote: »
    Savvy travellers rarely, if ever, change cash on the high street...

Unless you are buying large amounts of currency I haven't found many better than Ramsdens online -reserve it then pick up from their shop. There are a few better online -but most charge for delivery if less than £500 :)
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Monzo mate. 21st century.

https://monzo.com/
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Unless you are buying large amounts of currency I haven't found many better than Ramsdens online -reserve it then pick up from their shop. There are a few better online -but most charge for delivery if less than £500 :)

Do their rates beat the best cards that most savvy travellers use
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport