Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jhgkp wrote: »
    Is it just my Lidl or am I losing my favourite.

I am diabetic and I try so hard to watch what I eat. For the past couple of years I have been enjoying their Greek Yogurt (full fat as it has less sugar than low fat). I used to get their big tubs 1kg (brilliant for the week), now its 500g tubs (ok) but I only sometimes find 1 in every 20 pots. They do have wee pots (125g approx.) but I can't put my fruit in them for taking to work. Usually put the yogurt in another container with fruit. The smaller pots I don't scrape it out as well.

Any advice?

I miss those 1kg tubs too! I often now have to resort to getting the 500g ones from Aldi due to shortages in Lidl but the Aldi Greek yogurt just isn't as nice as the Lidl one :(
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I've just watched Supershoppers and they found that the big brands in Lidl/Aldi can be more expensive than other supermarkets. Examples were Heinz beans and 73% of branded confectionary such as Mars. I appreciate a lot of savvy MSE shoppers may not buy the big brands in discount supermarkets but thought people should realise. ;)

To be fair (to us) we've made the same observation several times in these threads.

And yes, you are quite right - the MSE way is not the big brand way (unless they are better VFM, of course. :))
  • pakokelso93
    pakokelso93 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Lidl's XXL week has 1L bottles of Cien shower gel for 99p. I've never used it before but am sure it does the job.

It is outstanding. My fav XXL offer I think. Great value. The Lime, Orange and Purple Sun smells are fab.
    PK! :money:
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Picked up the W5 all purpose cleaner fresh lemon spray (79p? I think) from lidl, most impressed cleaned the worktops and greasy stove top really well, also tried it on the bathroom and I really like it, the spray is really good and it doesn't foam up too much, will definitely buy again. Also picked up some Bertolli Light in Lidl for 99p I usually buy this and its a fair bit more expensive around £1.80, don't usually see it in Lidl so stocked up
    Booo!!!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 June 2017 at 8:45PM
    Options
    I've now tried all the "No Added Sugar" varieties of the new Lidl/Naturis Juice Drinks. (1 Litre @ 69p)

The options are:-

Apple & Elderflower - overall this is the nicest, most sophisticated blend of flavours. It's also the only variety where the product is clear (and a very pleasant colour, too). An excellent product, which if it had a fancy bottle & brand name could easily cost twice its Lidl price.

Pineapple, Coconut & Lime - a good blend of flavours with a good balance between the different ingredients. It's smooth with no pulp at all, and tastes best when served very cold.

Mango - a good strong mango flavour, though lacking the pulp or the sweetness of a typical Mango drink. I would say that it could be improved by the addition of another flavour - maybe something sharp?

Orange & Lime (IIRC) - an odd, slightly off taste to the product. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Cranberry & Raspberry Drink has also now be repackaged as Naturis, so hopefully we may see the return of Cranberry Light. I also noticed a Multi-fruit Light that I've not see before.
  • pakokelso93
    pakokelso93 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fingers crossed tomo when I get weekend offer cheese on this XXL week that Lidl might still have some old Toujour XXL Baby Wipes that are 100 instead of 80 and not the terrible quality 64's which they are now.
    PK! :money:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    I miss those 1kg tubs too! I often now have to resort to getting the 500g ones from Aldi due to shortages in Lidl but the Aldi Greek yogurt just isn't as nice as the Lidl one :(

Went to Lidl yesterday and they had 1kg tubs. Guy next to me in the queue (probably from Indian restaurant) was buying a tray! Maybe that's why you can't find them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They still s ok them in Lidl and the Lidl ones are the nicest.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can report that Lidl Deluxe Melton Mowbray pork pie is pretty much tasteless.
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    During the Italian season (coming up soon) Lidl's trays of vacuum sealed olives are very good indeed and much cheaper than the deli counter in more popular supermarkets.

Also, Lidl's "Deluxe pesto gnocchi" is delicious and only £1.15 a pack.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure