PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Comments

• Nicky63
    Nicky63 Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Hi guys n gals, I actually think what Andrea has said is pretty clear, Pepsi, MCoys, Magnum and Lidl etc comps are ok if you choose to buy the products but what they object to and quite rightly IMHO is the comps like the recent spate of "win a house" raffles for £50 etc. I know that some "purchase nescessary" comps have been removed recently but that would be by the board guides and that's because they were just as confused as us I think. Hopefully now we can get on with making oursleves fat and gassy in the name of comping ;):rotfl:
    That ain't working! That's the way to do it, money for nothing and TV's for free ;)
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Amilucky? wrote: »
    I have decided that this will be my last post on this subject as to be quite frank i'm bored as im sure you all are with my rantings

and as no one from MSE towers is taking a blind bit of notice as to what people are saying in this thread it seems like a waste of time anyway :mad:

kay sera sera, whatever will be will be
    will they make a rule,
    on purchased required
    we'll just have to wait and see

bye!

amilucky, i can't understand what the fuss is about posting comps that require a purchase, some are allowed , as you say, & some aren't, why don't they just allow them all & let people decide wether to enter them for thereselves or not, can't understand why there should be a ruling, way i see it , a comps a comp & what's the diff between buying a mag to enter a comp or paying a text entry to enter a comp to one that's posted to buy something ? sorry, but i can't see the diff & don't see why there should be a ruling on them, post them all & let people decide wether to enter or not ..
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• Amilucky? wrote: »
    So what are the rules :confused: I'm still confused, are you saying that there are no set rules :confused:

It would seem that that's exactly what she is saying.
    Amilucky? wrote: »
    me thinks that Andrea would make a very good politician as she can reply to a question without providing a proper answer :rotfl:
    Agreed! :rotfl:
  • Mamzie
    Mamzie Posts: 2,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2009 at 11:23PM
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi guys

I'm sorry people have been confused by this, and particularly I'm very sorry I didn't get round to replying to you before now Mamzie!

Let me explain to you why I posted in the first place.

We were getting quite a few reports of people posting competitions that required quite large spends on things or incurring extraordinary costs on obscure websites.

I'm sure you can understand it's very hard to gauge what people could ordinarily spend their money on, but the point of the Comps boards is not to encourage people to spend money they wouldn't normally just to enter a competition.

Just as in the Lidl competition, it's entirely plausible that in the recent weather people could have been buying Magnums anyway so that's fine.

Feel free to disagree though. All opinions welcome as always!

Andrea :)

Thank you for the apology MSE Andrea, it is appreciated.

I went away Friday and have only just returned, hence my missing this post. I am sorry to say that I actually don't find it very helpful. :o

I would like to request that some sort of rule is discussed and agreed to by both yourselves and the BGs, as at the moment I am even more confused :confused:. I still feel the old way of using the £1.50 text cost as a guide was good and had been working well for a long time. But this sticky and your earlier post are saying that no 'purchase required' threads are allowed at all, so we are getting some very strange and not consistent results.

I think the sticky title and first post need to be amended to reflect that the 'Purchase Required' threads are now in fact at the discretion of MSE towers.
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly :)

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
  • biscuitfan
    biscuitfan Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi all! I agree with Korky...let people decide if they want to buy whatever product it is, it's really useful if you are a consumer who uses that product to know that there might be a competition going on...we normally buy coke but switched to pepsi because of the chance to win a phone - no extra layout for us but really useful to know about the competition.

At the very least they should be in their own thread so people can make their own minds up.

I don't think it should be seen as encouraging people to spend, instead just highlighting competitions that might fit in with people's current spending anyway - we all buy groceries which most competitions are linked to. We're not children who need to be shielded from temptation, we can make our own educated choices surely....

Started Comping May 2009...2009 total: £995. 2010 total: £5541. 2011 total: £4835. 2012 total: £6220 2021 total (restarted Oct 2021): £1000 2022 total - £44
    Thank you to everyone who posts competitions
    :T
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely free means that you don't have to buy anything from the competition promoter/brand/affiliate or pay a fee to them to enter.
    If someone says it's free provided you spend £1.50, then my response is that it's not free then.
    In the case of postcards (which you can pick up for nothing at your local cinema) and postage, then that's the medium by which you send your entry.
    With email and/or free texting, you have to have the underlying service, but the assumption is that you have that anyway, so the money is spent and you aren't paying specifically to enter the comp.
  • Hi - I posted a free to enter competition on here earlier but it's gone now - does anyone know why? I hope I didn't break any rules... if so, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Mani
  • Ahh, apologies. Won't happen again.

Though it's pretty obvious at least one of the competitions mentioned on this page is a plug! :rotfl:

Mani
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 11 January at 11:40AM
    Hi guys

Just a reminder that no-one has "ownership" over particular competitions or websites and that anyone can post them.

By all means, if it's easier for everyone to leave it to one person to do them to avoid confusion, that's not a problem but please never be rude to another forum user if they post them as well.

If you see anyone doing that then please report them to [Removed by Forum Team]

Let's keep this the friendly board it is.

Thanks!

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Anyone seen any "kitemarks" yet?
    2009 Wins so far: 6 month supply of special K, Super Glue, Pushing Dasies Season 2 DVD, Sonisphere Tickets, Gold iPod, Fourth Plinth Winner 8th Oct 6-7pm, £100 Tesco Vouchers, Star-Ship Troopers on Blu-Ray (no player yet!), another iPod Touch
    First win Friday 13th - who said it was unlucky?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure