End of the road

Comments

• artnoble
    artnoble Posts: 879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Lots of good advice already so I wont repeat what others have said. The thing is you are going to have to make some pretty big lifestyle changes which (a) wont be easy and (b) will take some time to adjust to. The good news is that you can do it. I know you can because I was in a total mess and managed to change my ways, and although I fell off the wagon a couple of times I am still here plugging away at the debts.

Simple fact is you need to take control of your money then you will feel loads better about it.

My best tip? Start writing down how much you spend in cash and start properly recording your income and outgoings. Seeing it in black and white makes it real. Get a little notebook to keep in that van for when you are parked up somewhere and have five minutes then write down everything you have spent that day.

Good luck.

That does sound simple and effective. There are so many times in the month whee I don't actually know how much money I have. How mental is that!!
    Watch this space.... Will update soon!
  • Sign up to internet banking that way you can check your balance all the time :T
    You can also set up little savings 'pots' online too so you can budget better.
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • artnoble
    Sign up to internet banking that way you can check your balance all the time :T
    You can also set up little savings 'pots' online too so you can budget better.

How do I do the second part?
  • artnoble
    Well it's Wednesday after work and I've spent 0.39 this week. Test will be next week as I get paid on Friday. Hope I can have the discipline it takes
  • eyeopener2
    eyeopener2 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Little suggestion from me......

When you have discovered the details of all the individual debts, pay the smallest one off. Its gone and you will feel better and feel like you making progress.

I know you dont know who has what or at what stage they are but if one is a big loan, where the balance is frozen, I would seriously consider leaving that till last ans get the others done first. They have waited this long, they can wait a bit longer!

Something to consider anyway.

E2
    I'm Debt Free :j 2/09/2013
    Debt at LBM 30/04/2010 £24,109.38,
  • artnoble
    eyeopener2 wrote: »
    Little suggestion from me......

When you have discovered the details of all the individual debts, pay the smallest one off. Its gone and you will feel better and feel like you making progress.

I know you dont know who has what or at what stage they are but if one is a big loan, where the balance is frozen, I would seriously consider leaving that till last ans get the others done first. They have waited this long, they can wait a bit longer!

Something to consider anyway.

E2

Yeah I have thought about that. According to my balances on noodle. There are about 4/5 creditors and all the balances have added up to less than £500. I'm going to try and clear all this in January.
  • have signed up to this thread Art. i'm normally a lurker but thought i'd come on and say how well i think you are doing and how positive you are being :j keep it up and keep posting i'm convinced you are well on the way to being a DFW.
    debt free 1st October 2016
  • eco_farmer wrote: »
    have signed up to this thread Art. i'm normally a lurker but thought i'd come on and say how well i think you are doing and how positive you are being :j keep it up and keep posting i'm convinced you are well on the way to being a DFW.

Oh wow that really means allot. I hope this can be a success story one and for all.

I've noticed I signed up to this site in 2007 in trouble and I'm no better off now. I would have been safe and sound now if I had stuck to that LBM.
  • vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    artnoble wrote: »

I've noticed I signed up to this site in 2007 in trouble and I'm no better off now. I would have been safe and sound now if I had stuck to that LBM.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...however you are here again now - just imagine how much extra you would have spent in the last couple of weeks if you hadn't had your second LBM and popped back on? Onwards and upwards....

I keep a cash notebook with me at all times and on payday I write down what I've been paid and list all my outgoings (even those DDs that come out halfway through the month), every debit card purchase, cheque and cash withdrawal as I make them. I keep a running total of what's left and I tick each item off when i see it come out of my account when i log onto my online banking which I check every day. The running total is the important bit because that's what I know I have left - often the bank balance is a few hundred £ adrift because of things that haven't come out yet. This is what works for me - others have spread sheets, spending diaries etc - play around and see what helps you most.

Good luck....I'll be subscribing too :)
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • hi art,

i just thought i'd pop back and see how your getting on.

firstly,as with everything you could possible need,there are great threads here for loosing weight.although now that you are making your own packed lunches i bet you are loosing weight already.
    also agree that you must set up internet banking.you must then look at what goes in and what comes out and when.
    i know that when i started my journey i never looked at my bank balance.now i look at it every day.believe me it gives you a feeling of being in control that is a real boost.
    mean while back to your soa.have you looked at it yet.there are lots of things that you can already fill in.don't wait till the new year to do this.you've already been doing so well.
    keep up the good work.:)
    there is no wealth but life
    sealed pot challenge#240
    df by dec 2014#150

Barclaycard[ 1641]512. loan[4100]2673. nationwide[1898]1548.natwest 2980.total [8584]7713.:eek::eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure