Just 5 exercises

I was thinking about buying a multi-gym but someone told me that you should just do five exercises and that is it; 1x chest, back, quads, glutes and core.

Is this true, as I now do not know whether to buy the gym or just a bench and some free weights?
Olivia Rose

Comments

• Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    I'd suggest compound exercises rather than trying to target muscle groups individually.
    A lot of advice I've seen suggests 6 main moves, especially to start:
    • squat
    • chest press
    • barbell row
    • overhead press
    • chin-ups (there are half-way versions out there if you can't do a chin-up yet)
    • deadlift
    The big compound moves in there (especially squats and deadlifts) will also work out your core, but if you wanted something specific adding a plank wouldn't hurt.
    I wouldn't do all those exercises on the same day, but would do the first three, then a days rest, then the next three, then a days rest, then the first three, and so on.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What's been recommended to you is basically this:-

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Compound lifting is a very effective way to work out but it's not for everyone.

You'd need a squat rack / power rack as well as a bench if you want to go down this route.
  • Kunoichi73
    Kunoichi73 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bang for your buck wise, if you are serious about getting stronger and fitter, get the bench, and a decent set of free weights, followed by a power cage or squat stands (depending on how much room you have).

Stronglifts is a good programme, as is the very similar Starting Strength. The book Starting Strength (by Mark Rippetoe) is worth buying just for its description of how to do the exercises.
  • PettyDanvers
    PettyDanvers Posts: 14 Forumite
    Interesting, is there such a thing as quick change weights. I have started moving up in weights and it is a real hassle changing the weights between exercises. I have those weights with the corkscrew nuts on the ends.
  • Angry_Bear
    Interesting, is there such a thing as quick change weights. I have started moving up in weights and it is a real hassle changing the weights between exercises. I have those weights with the corkscrew nuts on the ends.
    Yep, although I've never tried them so I can't say how easy they are to use, and they do look quite expensive. Have a google for "dial" weights.
    Maybe spring clips would work for you?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The spring clips only seem to work well on plain unthreaded bars.
  • Angry_Bear
    The spring clips only seem to work well on plain unthreaded bars.
    Doh, of course! I made an implicit assumption that the bars would be replaced not just the clips. Thanks.
  • What are your reasons for training?

What do you want to achieve?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills