I have literally no money!

Comments

• beaniebabe
    beaniebabe Posts: 449 Forumite
    gosh that was quick!
    Thanks for the ideas. I have some dried chillis in the back of the cupboard, a bit of coriander - and a bag of ginger someone gave me too.
    I reckon I can make a pasta sauce to last a few meals, I also thought about using baked beans ina sort of improvised vegetarian chilli.

The worst of this is I don't have any family nearby at all (the nearest is over 200 miles away, so can't really pop over for tea!), not many close friends either. I did manage to get some cheese swirls from the 24 hour Tesco last night for 10p each - which made for an OK dinner with the last of the tomato ketchup.

This really sucks. I hate having no money. It sucks even more because when I tell people they say "Oh I've got no money either" then swan off for a pub lunch saying "I know I really shouldn't". They don't realise what I mean by "literally no money"! I couldn't waste cash like that if I wanted to at the moment...

Thanks for the support here though - makes me feel a bit better.

What about doing a car boot sale?
    In my area there are organisations that offer food parcels and provide free cooked meals. I understand it can be a bit embarassing to go to these places but if it gets you a meal, why not! Give it a try
  • I have just come across this thread having not been on the site for a week or two. It is one of the most heartwarming things I've read in a long time.
    Not a bad comment on here which makes a change in the posts and everyone so helpful.
    Sometimes I think these harder times make us appreciate what we have more and what's important. My hubby and I have been in a similar situation recently due to a CSA !!!! up and it certainly made us re-think our throw-away-society attitudes that have built up over a period of time.

Good luck to you xxx
    I am not a financial expert and I am not perfect but purrleeaassse don't be mean to me if I express an opinion that may not be quite what you thought. :p
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ask the colleague with the allotment if they'd swop their spare food for a bit of help in the allotment.

Go to the local restaurants and ask if they need anyone to wash dishes to cover holidays - you'll probably get your tea/dinner for free, and plenty leftovers too.

Have a good look down the back of the sofa and in old clothes and handbags - who knows what you'll find down there.

And - although it's lovely that people want to send help, please remember it's against the rules to share personal info on these forums. Wouldn't want the thread closed for breaching rules, would we? So I'd keep it discreet.;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 6:52PM
    Your all so lovely on this site, years ago when Iwas in the same position i lived on cheap tomatoe soup and used it as soup, pasta sauce mix, id make curry sauce out of th soup you name it id do it, quess who cant look at toamatoe soup these days!

I used to go to the market at the end and have thier waste and make soups etc and looking back I was frugal and its stuck with me.I used to get the toilet roll from work, soap from the dispenser was my shampoo, soap, bubble bath, washing up liquid and cleaner and used it to wash my clothes, i had a tenner a week for everything, and i made it last, so it can be done, but boy its hard work! God wasnt y.t.s expoitive!!! Others on the course who lived at home would brag how much they would spend on alchol etc and i barely had enough to eat let alone wste on alchol!

Good luck skint in wales Im in swansea area and if I can help pm me and well put our heads together for you xxx
    :A :j
  • MellyB_2
    MellyB_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I need some suggestions fast on how I can survive the next two weeks with no cash.

When I say literally - well, I have three pounds and a little shrapnel in my purse right now, but that's it. I've already borrowed off everyone I can think of.

My rent and bills for the month are paid, and I don't have to make any debt repayments until after next pay day. I've worked out if I get up early enough I can walk to and from work every day, so no travel costs. But I DO need to buy food - I have a few tins of tomatoes and beans in the cupboard, three quorn sausages in the freezer, one onion, some teabags, and a little pasta and rice - but I doubt it's going to last me the two weeks 'til payday.

Does anyone have any imaginative suggestions on how I can survive for the next two weeks without going really hungry?! Places to get free food maybe?

If you pm me I can also send you some things - I thinks I can dig out some shampoo and conditioner sachets that I never use! Plus some packets of soup, pasta etc....

No problems at all, it's nice to be able to help out people when you can!

Good luck with it all.

x
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    When I was a student I used to buy a bag of pasta, tin of tuna and jar of cheap mayo, and mix them all together, stick it in a plastic box and shove it in the fridge - that could last me nearly a week if I was careful!
    Have PM'd you with the offer of some stuff x
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    I totally agree with the liberation of as many things from McDonald's as you can (am just working out my notice at one so I think you should scalp them for what you can get) They use the BIGGEST loo rolls I have EVER seen (you could roll them down a hill and still have plenty left) so they won't miss a bit of bog roll.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • MellyB_2
    MellyB_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    elfen wrote: »
    I totally agree with the liberation of as many things from McDonald's as you can (am just working out my notice at one so I think you should scalp them for what you can get) They use the BIGGEST loo rolls I have EVER seen (you could roll them down a hill and still have plenty left) so they won't miss a bit of bog roll.

Hahahaha! I may go help myself to obscene amounts of sugar sachets now then!!

x
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    elfen wrote: »
    They use the BIGGEST loo rolls I have EVER seen (you could roll them down a hill and still have plenty left)

It sounds like you've done that :D :T:T:T
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • memelalou
    memelalou Posts: 169 Forumite
    Where are people getting 7p beans and 30p loaves.
    At Tesco its 29p a can for value beans and 50p for value bread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure