Cheapest way to travel from Aberdeen

Polly
Polly Posts: 898
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi
My son is at Uni in Aberdeen and wants to go to Liverpool from time to time to visit family. Would be very grateful for advice on the cheapest way to get there. I can't find any direct flights but there is a 9 hour bus to Manchester. Any better options?

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Have you looked into getting the train? It might not be an awful lot quicker but at least you've got more room to move. Book the tickets well in advance (rail companies release their timetables 12 weeks in advance)

You can get a day or a sleeper service. I've just checked the trainline for a return at the end of Oct / Return a week later and its £118 off peak. 2 changes going to Liverpool Central (or if you go to Liverpool Lime street its just one change at York)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• look at a lift sharing site called www.blablacar.com
  • Train will be cheaper if he
    • Doesn't use the trainline which charge extra fees
    • has a 16-25 Railcard
    • uses Clubcard vouchers and doubles-up the points value on Red Spotted Hanky
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Have you looked into getting the train? It might not be an awful lot quicker

You'd wanna hope it was quicker than 9 hours by bus!
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    You can get a day or a sleeper service.

There is no sleeper service to Manchester, you'd have to get off at Preston sometime before 5am. Sleeper services are not cheap either.
  • Realbairn
    Realbairn Posts: 205 Forumite
    If you have tesco clubcard vouchers you can purchase a railcard via tesco clubcard site. Your son could then potentially but tickets from as little as £18 each way if he books in advance. I have seen tickets being available as little as a couple of days in advance, but like everything else i think it depends on where you are going and how popular your destination etc is. so may be work looking to other train stations enroute then buying another ticket for remaining journey
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2014 at 3:31PM
    Have you looked at a flight to Manchester then to Liverpool from there, it might not be as cheap as the bus but it would certainly be quicker.

ETA
    £133 return to Manchester on FlyBE, depart Sun, return Fri
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,073
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you are very careful with your times you can get much cheaper than that. Just tried it on East Coast website. Leave Aberdeen 9.52 on 13th November, leave Liverpool 6.57 on 17th of November. Journeys approx 6 hours 30 minutes. £27.10 total with a young persons railcard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure