Avoid Paying For Vodafone Voicemail Retrieval In Uk

Hello all,

I've found a way of avoiding paying for voicemail retrieval for Vodafone contract customers while in the UK.

1. Go to https://www.vodafone.net and sign up for free to get Vodafone Mail (an enhanced voicemail service).

2. Once registered and logged in, you will see what's called your "Fax/Mailbox number" in the top right corner.

3. Instead of dialling 121 for voicemail, set your voicemail number to this "Fax/Mailbox" number. This number is unique for you.

4. Call this mailbox number. It will initially go through to your voicemail message. Press "9". Then enter your PIN (if you don't have one, call Vodafone on 191 to get one set up for free). This will then take you through to the familiar voicemail options.

5. Since this is a mailbox number 07 number, it is included in X-network contract minutes, and so is free!

6. Not only is it free, because you have to enter your PIN, its also secure! And for absolute discretion, you can give people your mailbox number so they can only ever leave voicemail for you, and then you can call them back at your leisure!

Let me know your experiences.

Comments

• 2ax
    2ax Posts: 645 Forumite
    Is that a totally separate number, or related to the main one?

On some networks, the VM number is similar, with extra digits inserted - Vodafone Germany has 55 added in the middle, or you call 5500 from the phone itself.
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    I always thought that voicemail was free for Contract but chargeable for PAYG.
  • ^^^looking at my bills it appears to be taken off your allocated minutes :(
    [fonefather] - If you would like free independent advice about phones feel free to message me. :j
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    fonefather wrote:
    ^^^looking at my bills it appears to be taken off your allocated minutes :(

Yes the Op does say this see Item 5.
    PF.
  • Yes, calls to this number will come off your allocated inclusive minutes, but this is better than paying additional pence per minute for voicemail retrieval.

Best of all is to take full advantage of https://www.vodafone.net, which provides free ability to listen to and download voicemail messages.
  • ianonline
    ianonline Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes the Op does say this see Item 5.
    I think fonefather's point was that he is being charged for calls to 121 (in response to Mr Skint's comment).

Given that contract customers are being charged for calls to 121 (and 242 which is the equivalent number for Vodafone Mail), the whole point of using the OP's method is that you can dial an 07.. number to retrieve voicemail which means you can use up your free minutes rather than being charged on top. Presumably, this would only work for PAYG customers if you have bought a "voice pack" and you want to use up your minutes that you have already paid for.

In any event, whether you're on contract or PAYG you can still retrieve your voicemail messages for free via email (either pop3 or webmail) whenever you are at your computer, which means you can save your messages (in wav format) for future reference. Your mailbox number also doubles up as a fax number so that people can send you faxes which are also delivered to your email box (in tiff format) so you can save them and print them off at your leisure.

I can't believe that anyone who is a Vodafone customer would not have a Vodafone mail account as it's free and has many advantages (including the ability to send and receive emails via WAP/GPRS on your mobile phone).:D
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    dialling 121 comes out of my inclusive minutes, I thought it did for everyone? In which case what is the difference between dialling 121 and the 07.... number?
  • jassi_9
    jassi_9 Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    OOOOOOK.....THIS ISNT ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE!!??

VINCENT IS TRYING TO TELL U THAT...OUTSIDE YOUR INCLUSIVE MINUTES U WILL GET CHARGED 10p FOR VOICEMAIL RETRIEVAL, BY DIALING 121

IF YOU SET UP, LIKE HE SUGGESTED, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DIAL A NORMAL MOBILE NUMBER (07...ETC).....AND AVOID THE 10 PENCE COST...AND RETRIEVE YOUR VOICEMAIL AT A CHEAPER RATE

ONCE YOUVE USED UP YOUR INCLUSIVE MINUTES, THIS METHOD WILL SAVE YOU PAYING 10p EVERYTIME YOU LISTEN TO A MSG!!!!!!

I BEEN DOING THIS FOR 3 YEARS ON VODA PAY AS YOU GO.....AND HAVENT TOPPED UP ONCE IN THAT TIME, EVERYTIME I GET A VOICEMAIL, I JUST USE MY "3" CONTRACT......DIAL THE "07..." NUMBER.......AND ACCESS MY VODA VOICEMAIL FOR FREE
  • hoyin
    hoyin Posts: 114 Forumite
    Yes, calls to this number will come off your allocated inclusive minutes, but this is better than paying additional pence per minute for voicemail retrieval.

Best of all is to take full advantage of https://www.vodafone.net, which provides free ability to listen to and download voicemail messages.

I am registered on vodafone.net

But I can't seem to find out how to download my voicemail messages?

Can someone help?

Thanks
  • ianonline
    ianonline Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    hoyin wrote:
    I am registered on vodafone.net

But I can't seem to find out how to download my voicemail messages?

Can someone help?

Thanks
    Once you've logged on to your vodafone.net account you should just be able to click on the voice message and save it as you would any other attachment. If your computer won't let you do this, it may be something to do with your security settings / antivirus / firewall.

If what you're saying is that your voicemial messages aren't being forwarded to your Vodafone Mail account in the first place, then you'll have to take it up with Vodafone to check that they have linked your mobile number to your Vodafone Mail account correctly.

Sorry I can't be any more help :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport